TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Leigh Centurions

New management structure & TV

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#241 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

Your family has a rich history in the game. If he is as good as his relatives, don't want to jinx him though, he will be a credit to the game.

Great to see that there were 50 plus kids there. Good news for the Rovers in the future also.

they don't all end up at the rovers, the 3 briscoes went to hull for eg.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#242 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Mysterioso,
I was cetainly not romanticising the mining industry. I had a couple of uncles die from pneumoconiosis and a cousin who has spent the last 6o years on one leg due to a pit accident. It was a tough and brutal industry.

However, i think there is no doubt that it's demanding physical work day after day honed big strong, tough, determined men and when these men chose to play rugby, these built in physical attributes, attributable to the hard physical toil of their jobs, made them ideal rugby players.

I think also that Rugby gave them a release from the stresses of their dirty and dangerous working lives and maybe contributed to the large numbers of persons turning to the sport.

It was just a thought from me in answer to the poster who was writing about the declining numbers of players currently turning out for the fev amateur teams.

I certainly did not wish to precipitate a debate on the pros and cons of mining. I did not bring up the subject of the film.

However, I did like it. i thought the Danny Boy scene moving and encapsulated the three plot lines of the film, i.e. the love of music, another outlet for the miners, like RL, from the horror of their jobs. the tremendous sense of community in those pit villages which manifested itself in their support of their dying band leader, and the sense of doom at the extinction of their jobs and livlihoods, however grim, signified by the extinguishing of their helmet lights at the end of the performance. Also the loss of self worth that affects many men, not just miners, when they are made redundant and cannot fend for their families.

Like and dislike are personal choices, but I liked it, sorry.

I can understand what Ange is saying, however the pits in the 1960s-1980s were different to those in my grandads era and beforehand.

In the later era, there was more safety, better money, less hours and good camaraderie.

#243 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

Do you think the extinction of the mining industry which used, bu it's very nature, to produce tough, muscular men ideally suited to our game has had any bearing on the decline of the amateur game in and around fev.?

Slightly, but I think it's more to do with marginalisation. Wakey & Cas are still doing ok on the junior front, but you hear about them all the time on local TV & radio, and read about them in the local papers, but when Fev play Batley, Fax & Sheffield in a few weeks time in games that will probably decide the league leaders they won't get a single mention on Look North.

#244 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,656 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

Slightly, but I think it's more to do with marginalisation. Wakey & Cas are still doing ok on the junior front, but you hear about them all the time on local TV & radio, and read about them in the local papers, but when Fev play Batley, Fax & Sheffield in a few weeks time in games that will probably decide the league leaders they won't get a single mention on Look North.

Marginalised? The local press report on the championship frequent regularly and in depth
Look north and. Calendar last for half an hour with a few minutes at the end for sport how on earth can you expect either of them to cover other than the elite games? Your club isn't in that elite same as all the other non super league clubs I can't think of a reason why out should be treated differently from them

Marginalised has a nice victim ring to it though I suppose
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#245 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

Marginalised? The local press report on the championship frequent regularly and in depth
Look north and. Calendar last for half an hour with a few minutes at the end for sport how on earth can you expect either of them to cover other than the elite games? Your club isn't in that elite same as all the other non super league clubs I can't think of a reason why out should be treated differently from them

Marginalised has a nice victim ring to it though I suppose

I was answering a question why less kids are taking up the game in non-Super League areas, and yes, the Championship is marginalised in terms of media coverage. I wasn't just talking about my club in this respect, local derbies between such as Fax v Batley are never mentioned. Kids are impressionable and want to buy whatever the TV tells them to. If their local club is hardly mentioned in the media, be it right or wrong, they will turn to other things. 

#246 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

I was answering a question why less kids are taking up the game in non-Super League areas, and yes, the Championship is marginalised in terms of media coverage. I wasn't just talking about my club in this respect, local derbies between such as Fax v Batley are never mentioned. Kids are impressionable and want to buy whatever the TV tells them to. If their local club is hardly mentioned in the media, be it right or wrong, they will turn to other things. 

In 1996 the Martyn Sadler edited Superleague annual spoke of "no longer could a nine month winter league involving teams no-one south of sheffield has ever heard of be put forward as a rival for the public's hard earned cash and lesiure time".

The game upped the stakes to professionalism and the media responded to that and report the bigger end of the game. In turn Superleague attracts big crowds and produces many young professionals who come from their areas.

Yes, the TV tells them to buy into Superleague, and the policy of Superleague is born of a pressing need to respond to changing times and failing traditions........

Edited by The Parksider, 22 June 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#247 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,656 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

I don't think it works that way
See terry mullaneys post about his grandson
Local clubs as I said get plenty of mention in the local media there were fifty youngsters at a featherstone lions training session
I hardly think Tanya Arnold not waxing lyrical about your team once a week for thirty seconds on look north is going to make much difference to a child
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#248 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

I thought this thread was about Leigh Centurions?

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#249 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,758 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

I thought this thread was about Leigh Centurions?

Every thread on here is about Fev - didn't you know that?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#250 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

Every thread on here is about Fev - didn't you know that?

It usually gets derailed by the usual suspects.

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users