RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leigh Centurions

New management structure & TV

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#61 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

Coach £70k-100k
Admin, Other coaches, Medics etc, £250k - £300k
Travel/Hotels £50k
Plus loads of other gubbins.

It's got £500k-£750k loss written all over it.

And then some I'd say, looking at other clubs who presumably are not running at a loss for the hell of it.

On Friday 28th March I'm taking part in the Wigan Streetsleep, raising money for The Brick charity who try to ensure nobody in Wigan finding themselves homeless spends a 2nd night on the streets and providing help and support via a foodbank.  Every penny counts so if you can spare anything at all its much appreciated - this link will take you to my sponsorship page thanks.

#62 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

If the Leigh based amateur clubs are struggling for players (and I will check this) then this would be strong evidence that licensing and the lack of meaningful second tier games, is having a direct negative impact.

Why would any Leigh based amateurs consider playing for teams in Wigan?

This is (I'm sorry) one of you most desperate posts.

Hunslet based amateurs have been attracted to Leeds for decades.

Now Hunslet based fans are attracted to Leeds.

For fans and players Superleague is where the vast majority want to be and that is how it is, that is how it is statistically that is how it is factually.

#63 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:45 PM

leigh is a staunch rl area but lately in junior and under 16's rugby the 2 leigh based clubs are struggling to attract players, perhaps they all want to play for the pies, that said i would love to see leigh in super league as they would offer a great deal in terms of facilities, crowds, etc etc the championship derbies with widnes were always sell outs at both grounds and just imagine what a league game against wigan or saints would give them.

This post follows on from your assertion the poor crowd Widnes got against Catalans "proved" 1500 more Widnesians were watching the club. Is this debate or is it fantasy?

#64 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

Leigh in SL would spend full cap with 5000 gates trust me I know

Like Padge I can't take "trust me" as a serious point.

13 games x 5000 fans x £25 a fan = full cap

Then you get £1.2M from SKY.

Brilliant - you have over a £Million profit.

How do Castleford, Wakefield, Bradford, HKR, Huddersfield, Salford, etc therefore fail to make any profit on crowds bigger than 5,000 and either go bust or lean heavily on Richie Rich?

#65 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:06 PM

leigh miners under 18's failed to complete fixtures last season and had 90 points+ put on them by thatto heath, in junior games both miners and easts turned up with the bare minimum of players with no substitutes on several occasions. that really surprised me as both clubs have been stalwarts of the amateur game for many many years.

Tis the lack of P & R you know.

IMHO we are in the age of the big clubs are everything, what's fed to you on telly is everything, all kids whether looking to follow or play sport turn on the telly and connect with the top level.

If people want to resurrect the likes of Leigh or my club Hunslet they are onto a loser. It's the Wigans and Leeds that are the future of this game.

The sooner we put everything we can into a top tier and stop trying to cling on to the past the better.

If Wigan were the local club for Leigh would Miners or Easts have any trouble promoting the game to kids. I know Hunslet Warriors have no problems....

#66 amh

amh
  • 11,071 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

All change 

http://www.leighcent...ns.com/news/225

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#67 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

I cant say that i'm dissapointed with this news.
Mr Freer and a few others gave it there best shot in the early/mid 2000s and brought relative success to the club and they should be thanked for that.

unfortunately he and one or two others stuck around 'way to long, and the club went backwards until Arthur Thomas took over and turned the clubs fortunes around again.Then AT has to pull out and the same people take control of the club again,massively increase ST prices,take the average att from over 2400 down to 1500 and turn the club into a farm club for wigan,all done in 18 months.

Nope not dissapointed at all

#68 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

Leigh will pay full cap on 5000 gates and break even

Change is gathering pace at LCRLFC - 2014 will be brilliant.

#69 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,600 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

So come on explain how.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#70 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

Any chance we can change back to being called Leigh Rugby Football Club and dump the awful Centurions moniker?

#71 amh

amh
  • 11,071 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

Not sure I'm quite with you yet SC, but your optimism is brilliant  B)

John Roddy comes across as a very astute business man so I feel quietly confident that we are in good hands, along with the assembled management team.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#72 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

Not sure I'm quite with you yet SC, but your optimism is brilliant  B)

John Roddy comes across as a very astute business man so I feel quietly confident that we are in good hands, along with the assembled management team.

Cast away the negativity that smothers you by residing in the dark side, trust me mi owd Leyth bird when have I ever told you untruths

John is a great leader and shares the vision.

Edited by sweaty craiq, 07 June 2013 - 08:43 AM.

• amh likes this

#73 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Given the fact that we have a new stadium (and SL clubs with new stadia all showed a large increase in fans, Leigh will get at least 1.5x 4700 with a poor SL team and over 10k with a good team

#74 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

Given the fact that we have a new stadium (and SL clubs with new stadia all showed a large increase in fans, Leigh will get at least 1.5x 4700 with a poor SL team and over 10k with a good team

ha ha ha.....

The clubs who achieved large growth with new stadia were big clubs not a small town club.

What crowds do Widnes get in their smart new stadia? 4,600 against Les Cats.

What crowd did the mighty Fartown turn up at their wonderful stadia? 5,000??

Winning matches primarily draws the fans

You also assume the 4700 who witnessed Leigh collapse in 2005 are all going to come back. As you can see above despite Leigh being a very successful CC club and having a great stadia crowds have been steadily dropping.

But of course that us due to P & R I know.

#75 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

You have been away too long Lobby.

5000 is prudent, 7000 is achievable and 10000 will take a number of years, if ever

#76 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

You have been away too long Lobby.
 5000 is prudent, 7000 is achievable

7,000 is the figure that Castleford can't survive on, 7,500 is the figure that HKR cannot survive on and they did spend full cap for several years.

I suggest if you want to get real check out Widnes's crowds.

When both clubs were in SL they got 6,800 against Leigh's 4,700.

Widnes's crowds last year did not get back to that figure, they got 6,000.

As you say Lobby has been away too long. I suspect Leigh would have a stadium effect and would get 4500-6000 at best.

Problem is they do not qualify for SL as they have no money, are at time 1,000 short on the fans criteria of 2,500 and they don't have a youth development system, they are part of Wigans aren't they?

#77 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

7,000 is the figure that Castleford can't survive on, 7,500 is the figure that HKR cannot survive on and they did spend full cap for several years.

I suggest if you want to get real check out Widnes's crowds.

When both clubs were in SL they got 6,800 against Leigh's 4,700.

Widnes's crowds last year did not get back to that figure, they got 6,000.

As you say Lobby has been away too long. I suspect Leigh would have a stadium effect and would get 4500-6000 at best.

Problem is they do not qualify for SL as they have no money, are at time 1,000 short on the fans criteria of 2,500 and they don't have a youth development system, they are part of Wigans aren't they

You can add Wakefield, London, probably Toulouse,Huddersfield and Salford to the list of teams who can't average 7,000 and need the help of an investor to survive in SL.

This leaves a fragile Bradford, Catalans, Hull, Leeds, Saints, Warrington and Wigan who do average above that magic 7,000 and propsper in SL. that's a 7 ( seven ) team league.

Does it not suggest to you, because it does to me, that the slary cap should be lowered to the point where clubs averaging in the 7,000 area can be a viable, functioning entity in SL ? Even to the most aredent reductionista out there a 7 team league is not big enough.

If this is done leigh, Halifax, Featherstone and all the current SL teams who do not average 7,000 can step to the party and the league can be bigger and more stable to the benefit of all the game and not be confined to the top 7.

#78 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Salary cap should be raised not lowered, historical debt can strangle clubs especially if they are operating in stadia that suck cash to meet standards
Glad you know about the cash situation now parky and as you agree 5000 is prudent 7000 achievable
In a licence run today we walk in

#79 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

Salary cap should be raised not lowered, historical debt can strangle clubs especially if they are operating in stadia that suck cash to meet standards
Glad you know about the cash situation now parky and as you agree 5000 is prudent 7000 achievable

Do you have an official position or place of authority/influence at your club?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#80 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

I'd love to agree with everyone who has hopes and wishes for their club but I prefer to look to debate reality.

If Leigh's business plan without a rich man putting wads in will work on 6,000 crowds say, then please set out how that will work because the answer could save a lot of SL clubs money and improve the league.

You may also be able to answer how Leigh will have a credible player production system as well, that will be hard to do on Wigans' doorstep and hard given VW's view of the lack of players in and around Leigh for Easts and miners juniors?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users