Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Coronation Day

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

How many remember? Only those of us over 65 I suppose - a decreasing minority.  I have a mug, with a picture of the Queen on one side and the West Riding coat of arms on the other side.

I recall someone on our street had a telly, and we all crowded around to watch it.  TBH I was pretty disappointed, it was in black and white and so small that from where I was sat I could see ###### all.

We had a tea party at our school in the afternoon and  - erm that's it.

Except of course, my mam who was royals mad some weeks later took me to see a colour film version (which was much more attractive to watch) at the now defunct News Theatre at Leeds City Station. It ran for months!

There was also a film to cash in on the event, using the colour footage as background

http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

Plus of course a load of mushy "patriotic" songs and a lot of talk about "the new Elilzabethan age"

Edited by Trojan, 01 June 2013 - 09:06 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#2 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

I remember a party in our cobbled street, which was decorated with bunting and flags. Tables were laid end to end and loads of food on offer. Although we were poor nevertheless it felt like we were royalty for the day. Fond memories. 

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#3 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,679 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

Ditto, TV included, but in the traffic free footpath (Park Avenue) that ran down between the houses and Victoria Park Swinton (very royalist us Swintonians at the time!) . I was just  7 at the time. 

#4 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,699 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

By eck, it's like a Sunday tea time BBC period drama on here.
Fides invicta triumphat

#5 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

I'm sure it will be a fantastic day when, following the mysterious deadly illness outbreak, Princess Eugenie inherits the throne and Fergie assumes her rightful role as the Queen Mother.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#6 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

I'm sure it will be a fantastic day when, following the mysterious deadly illness outbreak, Princess Eugenie inherits the throne and Fergie assumes her rightful role as the Queen Mother.

Which one is she, the good looking one or the dog?

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#7 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,959 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

I remember a party in our cobbled street, which was decorated with bunting and flags. Tables were laid end to end and loads of food on offer. Although we were poor nevertheless it felt like we were royalty for the day. 

No you don't.

That was a Hovis ad in the 1970s  :tongue:

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#8 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:46 AM

we went to the Clifton cinema in Bramley with all the other schools it was Laurel and Hardy.i lost my mug shortly after I ate the sweets that were inside.We also had a street party Broadlea grove was a nice street then all decked out with flags and bunting

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#9 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

I was two years old at the time so I can hardly remember but I have seen photos of our street party in York Street Lower Broughton,Salford and then the adults had a party at Broughton Liberal Club on Great Clowes Street.

But my dad being an anti royalist went to the Peak District cycling for the day(as he did again for the 1977 Jubilee and my brothers and I went with him  as by then we were all anti royalists).

#10 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

A girl at my school told me that the Queen would be riding in a gold carriage down past our school in Friars Lane, Barrow.
I stood there for ages and she never came.
Never liked her from that day to this. After all, if she can let a 5 year old stand around while she swans around London what else is she capable of?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users