Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Honest opinons

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chisholm 2

chisholm 2
  • Coach
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

Dont want to this thread to get in to a long drawn out discussion but what do people think about summer rugby ? I have had conversations with a lot of people who have been involved in amateur rugby for many years and I know what vibes I am getting. I am not going to publish there thoughts but I will say my personal opinion ( I AM NOT SPEAKING ON BEHALF OF MY CLUB ). I think standards have dropped and financially it is a disaster for clubs.

#2 hull reporter

hull reporter
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

It's up and down depends on how you're team is going Myton arnt doing to well this year so imagine there feeling it I watched east v west last week decent crowed and both strong teams, I reckon next 5 year's prem will have a lot of different teams the likes of kells blackbrook underbank woolston hunslet east Leeds will all be up there teams like like oulton Dudley hill st Judes have been up and down I reckon wiv 4 decent Leeds teams in div 1 crowds have been good ?

#3 LONGMAN

LONGMAN
  • Coach
  • 824 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

It's up and down depends on how you're team is going Myton arnt doing to well this year so imagine there feeling it I watched east v west last week decent crowed and both strong teams, I reckon next 5 year's prem will have a lot of different teams the likes of kells blackbrook underbank woolston hunslet east Leeds will all be up there teams like like oulton Dudley hill st Judes have been up and down I reckon wiv 4 decent Leeds teams in div 1 crowds have been good ?

I cant see how standards have dropped, nor it is a financial disaster for club.

Went to see Milford/Oulton game yesterday along with a few hundred crowd, inc. a large contingent fro local rivals East Leeds.

I can see that the local derby games within Leeds are going to attract large crowds so its up to the home club to have barbies etc to get their income raised.

#4 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

The holiday period will shortly be upon us and every club will be affected in some way or another and if last year is anything to go by the results and form book will go out of the window.
Last year during this period my team did not field the same team for almost eight weeks and for one period of two weeks had no fewer than 12 first choice players un available due to holiday commitments and our results reflected this.
For me there are just too many other events/distractions in the summer and I feel that the move to summer is failing the clubs and the players.
Our pitch on saturday was as hard as the car park and as a result our physio will be mad busy tuesday trying to get the swelling down off the players knees n elbows - again!.
Definitely needs a re think in my own personal opinion.

Edited by Back In The Good Old Days, 02 June 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#5 jaguar

jaguar
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

I strongly supported the advent of summer rugby, and wholeheartedly got behind the campaign. Whilst the players love the firm conditions for training and playing, I now believe that financially it will kill off many good, previously sound clubs. I predicted that only the strong would survive, but now I believe it is for different reasons.

The idea that clubs would have BBQs etc all sounded feasible, in reality they're not. When we played in winter, the summer months were used for youth/junior festivals, Fun Days, BBQs, Masters Festivals for example, and a healthy revenue stream continued through the closed season. Our closed season now comprises of cold, wet winter months. During the last closed/pre-season period we held 2 Christmas parties, had to pay for all the pre-season training for all age groups to be held on artificial surfaces (never been done before in our history)and, generally had no bar income. Our standing orders for the rent and all utilities continued to come out of the club bank account. That can only last for so long!

Apart from what you would expect of increased crowds for local derbies, in general numbers are down. I'm really devastated that it's not turned out how I hoped and expected it would. Changes need to be made by next season I think. The season has to be extended - and this could be done by, perhaps, having no fixtures throughout the month of August (or longer). Then we could get in the holidays, kids festivals, BBQs and Fun Days. I'm now prepared to listen to other options for survival - when before I thought I had the answer.

#6 Back In The Good Old Days

• Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

Lets just hope that common sense prevails before its too late.

#7 jimmyyon

jimmyyon
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

Records show that this Spring has been the wettest on record.

In the winter period, we produced 150 matchday programmes and on many occassions we sold out, we have now cut down to Eighty and find many un-sold. If it wasn't for hiring the club out for functions we would struggle for income.

What's happening with the 'A' teams?, in division three of NWML, there have been 35 scheduled games. In fact, 21 have taken place and 14 have been walk-overs, ask yourself is it working? :rtfm: 

#8 Back In The Good Old Days

• Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Would have to say no myself personally.
But what do I know only been involved as a player, coach n comittee member for over thirty years!

#9 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

I strongly supported the advent of summer rugby, and wholeheartedly got behind the campaign. Whilst the players love the firm conditions for training and playing, I now believe that financially it will kill off many good, previously sound clubs. I predicted that only the strong would survive, but now I believe it is for different reasons.The idea that clubs would have BBQs etc all sounded feasible, in reality they're not. When we played in winter, the summer months were used for youth/junior festivals, Fun Days, BBQs, Masters Festivals for example, and a healthy revenue stream continued through the closed season. Our closed season now comprises of cold, wet winter months. During the last closed/pre-season period we held 2 Christmas parties, had to pay for all the pre-season training for all age groups to be held on artificial surfaces (never been done before in our history)and, generally had no bar income. Our standing orders for the rent and all utilities continued to come out of the club bank account. That can only last for so long!Apart from what you would expect of increased crowds for local derbies, in general numbers are down. I'm really devastated that it's not turned out how I hoped and expected it would. Changes need to be made by next season I think. The season has to be extended - and this could be done by, perhaps, having no fixtures throughout the month of August (or longer). Then we could get in the holidays, kids festivals, BBQs and Fun Days. I'm now prepared to listen to other options for survival - when before I thought I had the answer.

I've only been involved with club rugby in the summer and the arguments for summer seemed to be compelling.
The post above has certainly given me food for thought. Reasoned argument like this might make people think again.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow