Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Barrow v Sheffield

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Eagleraider

Eagleraider
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

Having been coerced into a brief resume, here goes.............

Barrow Raiders (12) 18 Sheffield Eagles (14) 20

Although Raiders lost by such a small margin, their commitment, and especially their defence was a "pleasure" (in a strange way) to watch.

Eagles were playing their 4th game in 15 days ( 3 in the last 10 days ~ in the last 3 games scoring 133 points (including 23 tries) and conceding only 40 points) and there were two outcomes possible from this encounter today. Either Eagles would continue on the try scoring trail or they would have their normal tough game at Craven Park where Raiders seem to pull out all the stops and fight to the end.

The result was the latter. I have not seen a Raiders team play so well under pressure and the tackling in general was of a very high standard, except for the high tackles!! (which the inept referee J Cobb (who appeared just out of nappies) failed to register on the radar) There were , in my opinion, one or two of the Raiders players who had serious problems with losing their dummies, especially McGilvray and Casey, who didn't like being tackled or being pulled up for a mistake. Harrison and Campbell were work-horses along with Brennan who was superb in both defence and forcing the attacking play.

Whereas Sheffield , who looked jaded, (and were) tried hard to break the stubborn wall that confronted them. Eventually on the 4th minute, the deadlock was broken with a well worked drive on the Eagles line.and #14 scoring the try . With #21 scoring the conversion on 4 mins..

NOW MY FIRST GRIPE .............. due to the poor PA we were unable to hear the names of the players and when we looked for reference in the programme the players were only numbered 1  to 17 with no squad numbers and it will only be when I refer back to the last Eagles game at  Don Valley will I get the names of the scorers etc...............i believe this needs rectifying especially as the programme gives " a team" which often is nothing like the one which runs out on the pitch.... Gripe 1 over.....

Quentin Laulu-Togagae  (#1) then eventually started his attack on Menzie Yere's scoring record for this season and added one to his total on 16 mins, and this score made it scoring at least one try in the last 10 games this season, bar 1. His 6th consecutive game of getting on the score sheet!!    Dom Brambani (#7) strangely missed the kick, as his record in all games this season is 80%.  The travelling band of Eagles supporters did not have to wait too long for Q to go in for his 2nd of the day on 22 min., which Dom Brambani again failed to convert, but credit to Raiders who were not giving in too easily and they maintained pressure and scored another good try on 28 mins. Raiders continued their pressure and good defence against the inept refereeing on J Cobb, who seriously needs to go back to school and swat up on the rules.... perhaps he is sitting his GCSEs this week with the touch judges needing a visit to specsavers.  Again the pressure Eagles were exerting paid dividends and Q went in for his hat-trick try and his 21st try of the season (and his 76th try in 72 games). Brambani converting this one at last and  taking his points score this season to 201.

The half-time hooter came when both teams were showing signs that they both wanted their cup of tea and slice of orange! Raiders , a deserved, 12, Eagles , a hard fought , 14.

Penalty count at half-time was  Raiders 3 Eagles 3.  Drop Outs : Raiders 1 Eagles 3 .. [This demonstrating the pressure Raiders were exerting]

The 874 spectators were treated to a hard fought 2nd half, not helped by the inept display of the merry whistler and his flag waving chums.  There were only 2 tries scored in a defensive 2nd period and the ex-Raiders star of 80+ games for Raiders and playing his 85th game for the Eagles, #9, AAndrew Henderson, went over for his customary power try on 57 mins which Dom Brambani converted,.  

Raiders were not giving in and although they looked extremely weary, they kept going and Raiders #16 scored with 7 mins left on the clock and #21 converted, giving the supporters of both teams something to do to get behind their teams. With further incredulous refereeing decisions going against both sides and some strange penalty calls throughout the match, including a vast number of missed calls or confusing against both sides there were no more scores and the result for Eagles kept them at the top of the Championship, but only just and Raiders, who were possibly the better team on the day, lost by only 2. They could have won it if certain players had not constantly held down, even after warnings, and had played rugby instead of being petulant. Casey was an example of this, particularly close to his line. 

Penalty count 2nd half; Raiders 5 Sheffield 6. Drop outs : raiders 1 Eagles 1.

I awarded the merry whistler 5/100, and was informed by supporters of both teams, that that was generous!!

Un-named Raiders supporters suggested that I must put some stats on here, and my reply was that few were taken as there was no way I could do anything re interchanges because of the poor PA system, but some would appear!!

Comments made by Eagles players:

That was a hard match and Raiders could have won easily if it hadn't been that we had to win.

That is the best pitch we have played on all season and although a little hard was in great condition.

We are so tired after all these games and the travel, but we do not roll over easily.

That ref was abysmal and was too influenced by the crowd. [Raiders fans were right to shout at his decisions, or lack of them, most of the time, but some calls for forward pass and off-side were a joke especially when they were 70 yards from the play......... that's my comment!]

Raiders should not be bottom of the league with a performance like that.

Finally.....Gripe 2........ I think that halifaxjohn must have been at the game as one spectator, not wearing Raiders colours, was more concerned about how many Eagles fans there were at Don Valley against Barrow (in a cup match) and the fact that we have played a series of 8 games when 7 were at home, includes 2 Challenge Cup and a Northern Rail Cup match and fans cannot keep forking out. He never actually mentioned the good game we had just watched.

Some Eagles stats !!: Menzie Yere (#3) 95 tries in 127 games, and 23 tries in 19 games this season.

QLT : 21 tries in 19 games in this season

Dom Brambani 93 goals (and 2 tries and a drop goal) in 19 games this season and he played his 96th consecutive(in the two spells) game for Sheffield v Raiders and whist playing for Dewsbury and then joining Eagles has played in 94 consecutive (unbroken) games .

Sorry can't do any other facts from Raiders v Eagles apart from that was the 24th meeting since Barrow voted for us in 1999. Eagles have won 14. 10th meeting at Craven Park and only the 4th time Eagles have won!!

Semper In Facaebus Summus Sole Profundum Veriat

#22 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for a great write up :) it was a good game and a fair few supporters from Sheffield which was good to see . Great comments from them at the end of the game which me made feel dead chuffed ! :) the PA system is on a very long "needs sorting " list . Good luck for the rest of the season :)

#23 ANDO

ANDO
  • Coach
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for that Eagleraider, a fair summing up of what was a very good game to watch. (Apart from the referee!).

I agree the players gave 100% and looked totally wiped out at the end.

#24 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

Cheers for the stats Nigel....good to meet yesterday and cheers for getting Hendos signed testemonial brochure for me.

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#25 southsider

southsider
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

Dont sit on the fence Nigel, what did you think of the referee?
It was nice to meet you, and put a face to the name. We spoke after the game.(behind the sticks)

#26 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Excellent unbiased report as usual Nigel. As for Kevin I'm amazed he had never met you before.

Oh and Nigel thanks for getting Andy Hendersons testamonial book for me. Nice to meet Andy again even if he did score Eagles final try.

Posted Image

#27 Eagleraider

Eagleraider
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

It was good to meet up with Lee, Michael A, Southsider, etc etc and I was, as usual trying to be balanced and un-biased. If a team deserves criticism I try to be constructive, and that includes whoever I may be supporting, if they deserve praise, similarly and having been down the referee pathway, although now a few years back I will gladly praise, if possible.

Far too often some spectators go to matches to ref bait instead of taking into account 26 players giving, normally heart and soul, to putting on a display which will please the punters and show their skills, earn their match pay and not pussy foot around, like soccer players (premier division standard), if they get tackled rather harder than normal. Yes there are times when we all have a reason to moan and the comments about the ref going home on the opponents bus just beggar belief as 99% of the time those fans have been wearing their rose tinted specs and do not see the favours or faults relating to their own team.

My comment to some yesterday may be extreme perhaps but compared with Joe Cobb, give me Gareth Hewer, Jamie Leahy etc any day.... even so, I could stretch to J Childs.....................

Wearing an Eagles hat....Raiders put in a display to be proud of yesterday and I can't see for the life of me why they are bottom of the league. After the poor display in the Northern Rail Cup, where their hearts were not in it and I hope Darren gave them a good "just look at that rubbish" talk, the skill is their, the youth is there, but I sometime think the belief, isn't, but after yesterday, it should be. As long as there are no more injuries anyone could come a cropper, especially at home.

Finally, another "gripe"/comment............ the markings on the pitch were not very visible due to the great surface being too long. If where the markings were had had more grass cut from it and then marked, that would be a result. They would be more helpful to players, referee and supporters alike. A player, no names~no pack drill, said that they just did not stand out enough, in his opinion, but that he wasn't making excuses for any errors.

Edited by Eagleraider, 03 June 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#28 Deep

Deep
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

For Eagleraider  -  Optical Illusion

I sat in the stand on sunday and was surprised with your comments with regards to the pitch marking etc as these were clearly visible for where I sat about six rows up.

I was passing the ground this morning and the gate was open so I popped in to have another look, the volunteer groundsman was there cutting the grass (he was about half way through) so he stopped and had a word, I told him why I was having a look around, he said stand here and look across from the stand to the Raider Bar and tell me what you can see, all the lines, 10 20 30 etc were clearly visible, we then went across to the Raiders Bar side turned around and looked towards the main stand and you could hardly see any of the markings. The groundsman said if the sun is behind you there is no problem seeing them, if your looking towards the sun from the Raiders Bar side you can't see them very well, we then went to look where he had cut today and you could still see the markings if you stood with your back to the stand but not from the Raiders Bar side, he said there was nothing he could do to stop the sun from shining.

With regards to the length of the grass, he left it slightly longer to leave a cushion for both teams as the ground was dry and hard and that you get more dew on longer grass (oh for those February days playing Doncaster on a paddy field) and at this  moment in time we have more pressing things to pay for than a water meter.

Perhaps the player who made the comment was looking into the sun most of the game and that could be his excuse, but lets all remember that the pitch is inspected by the match commissioner prior to the start of the game and he had no problems.

If you have any questions with regards to the pitch just ask the groundsman like I did, he will explain how, why, and when, he is very approachable.

#29 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

This was the third match that I have read poor comments about the referee J Cobb.    Haven fans gave a poor report about him at their match with London Skolars and Town v Doncaster was the same from both sets of fans.   I wonder exactly what the Match Commissioners report back on the referees performance for each match or is it just a case of ignoring these poor efforts.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#30 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

believe me Keith he was awful on sunday

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#31 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

believe me Keith he was awful on sunday

Awful is being polite

#32 Eagleraider

Eagleraider
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

due to the great surface being too long. If where the markings were had had more grass cut from it and then marked, that would be a result. They would be more helpful to players, referee and supporters alike.

FAO..Deep................. I said , as QUOTED ABOVE, it was a great pitch, and in the previous posting about the game I also said

That is the best pitch we have played on all season and although a little hard was in great condition.

so please read things carefully before criticising and I only suggested that the area where the lines were needed cropping a little more and if you are sat 6 seats higher than the ground then visibility can be better for you there, than 5-6 ft from the ground and paying attention the play approaching and pick out line markings more or less from the corner of your eye. I do not see why you had to bold the word volunteer as the majority people at most clubs are precisely that.

Finally his penalty count was 12 Sheffield 13 Doncaster earlier this season, which was slightly less than the Barrow 9 Sheffield 8.......... Only Julian King(2002) and Gareth Hewer (32 penalties-2003) and Jamie Leahy (27- 2009) have awarded more than our Donny game and J Cobb (25-2013).............[Sad fact for some of you!!) :sclerosis:

#33 alba

alba
  • Coach
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

Its not really the penalty count, but when a scrum is awarded to the team that kicked the ball out, then despite a blatent knock on, they are then awarded a 6 point try, I think most supporters would be annoyed.

FAO..Deep................. I said , as QUOTED ABOVE, it was a great pitch, and in the previous posting about the game I also said

so please read things carefully before criticising and I only suggested that the area where the lines were needed cropping a little more and if you are sat 6 seats higher than the ground then visibility can be better for you there, than 5-6 ft from the ground and paying attention the play approaching and pick out line markings more or less from the corner of your eye. I do not see why you had to bold the word volunteer as the majority people at most clubs are precisely that.

Finally his penalty count was 12 Sheffield 13 Doncaster earlier this season, which was slightly less than the Barrow 9 Sheffield 8.......... Only Julian King(2002) and Gareth Hewer (32 penalties-2003) and Jamie Leahy (27- 2009) have awarded more than our Donny game and J Cobb (25-2013).............[Sad fact for some of you!!) :sclerosis:

Edited by alba, 06 June 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#34 Deep

Deep
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:32 PM

Eagleraider

I was not criticising, I was only pointing out it depended on what side of the ground you were stood, as I stood, not sat on Tuesday, how much the lines do or do not stand out due to the effect of sunlight.

My reference to the Doncaster game in February was nothing to do with the penalty count it was because you mentioned the ground was a little hard in your report, as any Barrow fans will recall the pitch that day resembled a paddy field and by the way no one could see any lines that day because after five minutes they disappeared in the mud.

Good luck for the rest of the season.