Halifax game

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Shizonamy

Shizonamy
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

Sat here at the LSV. Fair due to Halifax, there support play is great but we just cannot tackle and look devoid of any ideas in attack. We WILL be relegated if this continues. This Warrington link is destroying us having any sort of settled team and cohesion. No good having Dwyer et al for short periods we just can't build a team.

Here's hoping for a better second half!
"A lion sleeps in the heart of every brave man." Turkish Proverb

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

Oh we were awful today.

Not a redeeming feature in any shape or form. Whichever player was Pennys centre be it Burke Clarke or Ormsby left him high and dry time and again with two or three to tackle. It was a procession.

On the other threequarter the Rhys twins were totally anonymous.

I thought Toulouse was bad but this was worse.

I have to say the break towards the end by Fieldhouse with the pass back into Worrincy was sublime.

Worrying lack of quality and more importantly effort from us.

I left at 60 - 18 and we still conceeded more points.

I was however for once,warm. 

#3 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 338 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

Terrible, terrible, terrible.. Lost for words really. Naive play throughout. Not even basics today. The program notes say they have been working hard on defence and it is starting to show "our defence is putting us in a good position"...! Must just not be good enough then.

Think halifax got bored as it was a stroll down that right wing. No idea how good halifax are from that showing.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#4 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 338 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

Oh and please do not let Batley see the video of that game they may try and get it out wide.

#5 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

What a sad contrast with the same fixture last season.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#6 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

Hopefully there will be some news on Agecroft soon !

#7 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

We also left when Halifax reached 60 points.........possibly the worst game I have seen - very poor all round, Halifax gave a master class in quick play the ball, running several lines from deep............I actually think the Halifax defence was probably not that great as the two of our tries were "soft" in that the Halifax defence on their own line was poor - but as we threatened the Halifax line so infrequently my theory cannot be tested.

I am just very disappointed

#8 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

Today was embarassing

#9 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 946 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

That was a graphic highlight in the gulf in league between top 5 and the rest.
Too organised, too fast, too strong, too much experience. too much skill....need I go on?
We had no number 7, only 1 2nd rower, no experience (hence Smithy playing for so long) no defence out wide (again) a half back having a nightmare, no effort from a future 'international'.
Any good points? Not many. The forwards were out on their feet at the end, Penny played for the full 80 mins and kicked, there was yet another new player prospect warming up, my pie was ok!
We need an experienced midfield general out there to get the best from our boys, one to replace G O'B it seems.

Ah well, at least Donny took a beating!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#10 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

Yes, hopefully, some GOOD news at long last. Surely something must be being finalised any day now. We live in hopes don't we?

:sungum:

#11 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

Somehow I think we might be waiting a while? on the prospects of agecroft, on todays showing we will be playing in ch1 next season, and dual registration is obviously hurting team cohesion/moral, at the moment unless a sugar daddy with loads of money takes over I fear greatly for the future of the lions.

#12 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 338 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

No one will be watching wherever we play if we do not perform better ont pitch.

#13 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

I do think mr k was having a laugh when he mentioned agecroft on this thread.... Or maybe I'm wrong!

Bobbins performance. Discuss agecroft on the agecroft threads. ...

#14 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

It was a terrible performance from us today but not as bad as against Toulouse in my opinion. Halifax are a better team than Toulouse and played high quality rugby for the full eighty minutes against a once again disorganised looking Lions outfit. I think they may have had a point to prove after a few disappointing results recently for them. Everything they tried came off and they had players who have quality and can make a difference in any game let alone against strugglers like us. According to our coach’s programme notes we have similar quality “throughout the team”. Sorry but with one or two exceptions I’m not seeing that.

Yes Craig Harvey (not that I think he is to blame for the defeat) did try something, but how “different” was it really? It seems to me all we ever try is the long pass out to the wings which can work against lesser teams but against a quick, organised defence who move up with speed on our flat three quarters the chance of an interception is always on.

Our forwards to their credit ran it in hard right to the end but it was yet again one man rugby with any chance of a break or off load nullified by the lack of backing up. The backs looked like a bunch of strangers yet again and our kicking was poor. As for the defence today it was awful.

It was nowhere near good enough today and I’m sure the players and coaching staff are fully aware of that. As the players left the field it was clear how down they looked and so they should. However, I was disgusted by some of the loud mouthed abuse shouted at the team by a few so called supporters around the tunnel. What good would that do? Absolutely none. We are all fed up after a drubbing but mouthing off like that will not help in the least.

It remains a fact that the crucial games remain those against teams of a similar standing to us. They are the ones we need to win although today has made out points difference much worse. I just hope we can get as settled a team as possible working together with spirit before it’s too late. Mr Chambers has a lot of thinking and hard work to do in the next few weeks.

#15 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

Said it before and il say it again, I dont think its the Warrington connection in itself behind these bad results, but I genuinely dont think the players we have off them are good enough for this division (except Glen Riley), and this was the second time ive seen Harvey in action, and im sorry, but again he was absolutely terrible, and was subsequently subbed off. Im all for letting players settle in but if this carries on we will not be in this division next year. 

Positives? Mills, Penny, Ritchie, Williams, Riley gave 110%

But with little quality in the squad and seemingly zero coaching I cant see where any improvements are coming from.

Chambers out.

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#16 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

I just wonder where Man utd would have been had they sacked Ferguson after less than four months in the job.
Today was poor, certain players gave the impression they didn't want to be there.
Halifax came in on the back of defeat and were head and shoulders better than us. Three gift tries from interceptions as well.
Very disappointed this afternoon.

#17 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

I don't think Williams has done anything out of the ordinary so far and the Warrington link has lead directly to chopping and changing of players and positions which is of no help to team building.

#18 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 617 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

1- The Warrington connection seems to be more of a hindrance than an advantage as far as the team on the field is concerned. 2- I don't advocate sacking the coach after five mins in charge but i think his claims in his programme notes are at odds with what I'm seeing on the pitch. 3- And I think paying fans, the few that we've got left, are entitled to voice dissatisfaction so long as the language is not abusive.

#19 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

1- The Warrington connection seems to be more of a hindrance than an advantage as far as the team on the field is concerned. 2- I don't advocate sacking the coach after five mins in charge but i think his claims in his programme notes are at odds with what I'm seeing on the pitch. 3- And I think paying fans, the few that we've got left, are entitled to voice dissatisfaction so long as the language is not abusive.

Totally agree with all of these points Steve and I think Gary Chambers will be as dissatisfied with the teams performance, but we do need to see massive improvement otherwise relegation will be staring us in the face.

#20 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

Where it gets very awkward is that the appointment of Gary Chambers was done as an integral part of the connection with Warrington.

If that connection is a hindrance, its difficult to see how Gary Chambers can credibly take the club in a different direction.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users