Today's games.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

First of all what a super event that was!   day when Hornets could have expected around 350-400 we actually had a crowd of 809 which is full credit to the work put in by the board an others.  Well done!

The U20s game was a brilliant curtain-raiser and though the final sore of 56 v 16 appears a bit one-sided the game was far from that.

Hemel's squad looked quite tasty and indeed they scored the first try when they put in a good move up the middle with great hands and backing up to score by the posts.  Hornets took a little time to get warmed up but then scored a couple themselves to lead 12-6.  A brief arm-wrestle then ensued until Hornets again struck to extend the lead to 16-6.  However, after that there was an avalanche of points in a very short time with firs Hornets then Hemel, Hornets again followed by Hemel before Hornets ended the stint with a well taken effort.

At the half everyone was talking about how good the general level of play was and I think if this is the sort of youth Hemel have in their area they should bring some real prospects through in the future.

Hornets were far too strong in the second half and ran in more scores but to their credit the Hemel lads didn't disappear they kept tying to do something in attack right to the final whistle.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching the players of tomorrow.

After a pint I the bar it was on to the main game and |Hornets' roller-coaster ride continued.  They looked to have taken the game by the scruff of the neck only to let it slip by shipping 16 points to bring Hemel back into contention.  Don't get me wrong, Hemel are a decent side and will trouble sides in the future but we had them and let them wriggle free.

alf time was a disappointing 18-16 and the lads could have expected a rocket from Ian Talbot and when they came back out they were a different side again.  They retook the advantage and this time never let it slip. Gareth Langley had another good day with the boot only missing one rom wide out fro his sevn attempts.  Davies and the Saints half back, his name evades me at the moment, had sound games, as did Hough and Cookson.  Wayne English still appears to be getting younger and his play at full-back just seems to get better and better and he came up with a real humdinger of a try.

On the whole this was a superb day out and the weather didn't try to spoil it and if everyone enjoyed it as much as I did then there will be 809 really happy people around tonight!

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#2 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

350 x £10 each = £3500 809 x £2 each = £1618. Am I missing something here ?

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 984 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

Yes, you are.
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#4 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

To quote Grytpype-Thynne "You silly, twisted boy."  I've always thought that Oldham fans know the price of everything but the value of nothing!

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#5 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

What am I missing ?

Lets see if you can raise a team Thurs night. You're already pleading poverty to the RFL and been offered the whitebank with food costs cos you can't afford to stage the game at Mayfield.

I wasn't having a go at you earlier, just trying to understand why you think losing half your gate takings is good idea. feel free to tell me thursday night.

Edited by allroughyed, 02 June 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#6 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

Yes. Firstly, how many season ticket holders do Hornets have? 250 perhaps? So straight away on a 350 crowd you would only have 100 paying fans.

100 x (an average of) £10 = £1,000

Match day income on a 350 crowd = £1,000

Today, based again on 250 season ticket holders (I haven't a clue how many Rochdale have BTW), there were 550 paying speccies at £2 a time.

550 x £2 = £1,100

On the face of it, is it worth it for £100 gain? I'd say so for any of the following reasons:

1. 450 of these fans wouldn't have come otherwise - my son and I wouldn't have

2. The club now has their names, addresses and email contact details - including mine

3. They saw a pretty entertaining game - we both enjoyed ourselves as Hemel cheering neutrals

4. They bought other things, such as raffle tickets, the programme, donated to the youth etc. - I reckon I spent about £12 over and above the match ticket. Not all of that goes to Hornets, but it certainly adds to their purchasing power

5. Some might be lapsed Hornets fans, who saw a good game and want to come back

6. The club can follow it up with invites to future games/offers/etc.

7. The mascot race was superb

Edited by Jonty, 02 June 2013 - 10:40 PM.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#7 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

Thanks for coming Jonty and your post is correct, Hornets now have a valuable database of people who are interested in the club and all their contact details.

I have no idea what Allrouhyed says about Thursday night but he doesn't understand anything at all about marketing and loss-leaders.  I saw Mark Wynn during the game and I can tell you he was very happy indeed about how the day had gone, ad that was before the result which will have also pleased him I think.

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#8 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for coming Jonty

No worries - we both really enjoyed the day. Thanks!

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#9 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

Thurs nights is the U20's derby. You didn't play your last game because you couldn't raise a team. You don't want to play at Mayfield because you can't afford it, and the RFL have refused to alter the date because you haven't given them the 14 days required notice. We have offered to stage it at the Whitebank if you will cover the players food bill, but you've turned that down, and you want to play it at Spotland.

#10 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:23 AM

I wouldn't let them play at Whitebank either, it's not fi for rugby and you shouldn't be getting away with not doing any work on the place.

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#11 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 775 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:09 AM

Thurs nights is the U20's derby. You didn't play your last game because you couldn't raise a team. You don't want to play at Mayfield because you can't afford it, and the RFL have refused to alter the date because you haven't given them the 14 days required notice. We have offered to stage it at the Whitebank if you will cover the players food bill, but you've turned that down, and you want to play it at Spotland.

The u20s played today so we can raise a team ,there is no chance of playing at Spotland because the pitch comes up today .The match that was postponed was a friendly arranged at short notice and some of the players had arranged other things . If it is at Whitebank I will see you there .
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#12 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 775 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:16 AM

just remembered we have a members meeting Thursday so I won't be there maybe another reason Hornets wanted to change the date
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#13 Lakeside

Lakeside
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

I purchased a season ticket and offers like this take away the amount that can be saved by coughing up a lump sum to the club.

#14 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 775 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

I also have a season ticket but am willing to do my bit to try and grow the clubs fanbase

#15 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 984 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

I also have a season ticket but am willing to do my bit to try and grow the clubs fanbase

What he said.
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users