Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Team for Leigh

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

Cater
Miller
Morris
Connor
Mossop
Craven (if possible)
Callum
Dowes
Matty
Coward
Brett
Stack
Lupton

Olstrom
Acton
Thackray
Walne (if we can get his loan extended)

#2 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

I like the sound of that team Scott, perhaps if Mr. Noble decides not to extend the loan, then the last spot on the bench is a natural place for a Widnes Forward.

#3 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

Either another widnes forward or Shacks

#4 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 634 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

Are Brett Phillips and Jamie Acton back?? hope so.

#5 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

It's said in last weeks news and star that Brett acton and coyle are back in contention

#6 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,249 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

i think bretts a definate but acton is very possible as well.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#7 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

If Brett and Jamie are deffo back then that will be the first time in the last 2seasons that we have had all of our pack available for a game, only Rooney, Dowes and Coyle missing from the from the squad. Great news

#8 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,249 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

If Brett and Jamie are deffo back then that will be the first time in the last 2seasons that we have had all of our pack available for a game, only Rooney, Dowes and Coyle missing from the from the squad. Great news

is dowes injured?

#9 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,476 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Probably means Dawes ?

#10 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

Probably means Dawes ?

How can he be missing from the squad if he's not even signed.

Or have I missed something??

#11 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

Oooops It should have read Dawes, the young lad from Maryport, not the bubble permed Salterbeck Superstar !!

#12 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,249 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

How can he be missing from the squad if he's not even signed.

Or have I missed something??

jonathan signed for 2 years. its a shame stephen isnt signed in as he could have given us options in the back line. i would have him on the wing with elliot inside him, that would seriously give us a lot of pace.

#13 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

jonathan signed for 2 years. its a shame stephen isnt signed in as he could have given us options in the back line. i would have him on the wing with elliot inside him, that would seriously give us a lot of pace.

What's happened to Jonathan then Wonky, is he still injured. Yeah I like Steven too, told me he was taking a year out of the game because he's fed up with injuries.

Edited by ameliasdaddy, 04 June 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#14 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,249 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

What's happened to Jonathan then Wonky, is he still injured. Yeah I like Steven too, told me he was taking a year out of the game because he's fed up with injuries.

yeah he got injured early last year and i think there was complications with hes op. i would be shocked if we seen him play for town again, which is a huge shame. lets just hope dan rooney gets himself fit and healthy for next gear as hes the best centre we have by quite a distance.

#15 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

The referee for Sunday .......... Mr. Turley!
I'm a little perplexed, he is a member of the Leigh Referees Association. I thought that meant he can't referee a Leigh game?

Ref: W Turley
Touch J: T Mahar
Touch J: T Selby
Reserve: A Gill
M Com: C Hodgson

Edited by Supporter, 04 June 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#16 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,476 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

What !!! I'm bemused by that . Turley from Leigh and part of the Turley dynasty from Leigh ?
Not impuning the bloke personally but a very strange pick with lots of refs about !!!

Edited by DavidM, 04 June 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#17 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

Can anyone clarify the ruling?
Answering my own question. I have read through the operational rules and and it appears that there is nothing formal to prevent such an appointment. Can anyone recall another example of such an appointment? I can vaguely recall that a quality referee in the past never got enough chances to officiate at a Cup Final because his home town club was a regular participant (Connelly?).

Edited by Supporter, 04 June 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#18 westerner

westerner
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

Well Ganson from St Helens has reffed his hometown team as has Thaler with Wakey and Turley reffed a Leigh amateur team v Haven at Hilton Park a few years ago.

Can anyone clarify the ruling?
Answering my own question. I have read through the operational rules and and it appears that there is nothing formal to prevent such an appointment. Can anyone recall another example of such an appointment? I can vaguely recall that a quality referee in the past never got enough chances to officiate at a Cup Final because his home town club were a regular participant.

#19 ChunkyOnion

ChunkyOnion
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

Young Dawesy won't be playing this season I don't think.
Hope he doesn't give up after his latest setback.
Surf dudes with attitudes, (Kinda groovy), Laid back moods. Sky above, sand below (Good vibrations), Feelin' mellow. Won't give it up, Don't wanna stop....Don't wake me up, Don't wake me up if I'm dreamin', California dreams, Just let me lay here in the sun, Until my dream is done

#20 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for the information westerner, I have just been reading an interesting discussion on the general forum about whether it is fair on referees to allow them to officiate at their hometown clubs? Incidentally I noticed that Mr Hewer once refereed a Whitehaven v Barrow league game. My view is not to question the integrity or neutrality of the referee in such situations, but rather that it unnecessarily places undue pressure on such officials from supporters, perhaps even from both sides. A recent study (Super League) showed that it is possible to arrange appointments where such obvious links are avoided, so why try to prove neutrality by "forcing" the issue
Looking forward to a great game on Sunday.

Edited by Supporter, 04 June 2013 - 03:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users