Team for Leigh

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

Nice article about Jamie Acton in the N & S today. Says some nice things about our fans ( well deserved praise), and says how much he wants to continue his rugby education at Town next year. The club and coaching staff must be doing something right to instil that kind of belief.

#22 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for the information westerner, I have just been reading an interesting discussion on the general forum about whether it is fair on referees to allow them to officiate at their hometown clubs? Incidentally I noticed that Mr Hewer once refereed a Whitehaven v Barrow league game. My view is not to question the integrity or neutrality of the referee in such situations, but rather that it unnecessarily places undue pressure on such officials from supporters, perhaps even from both sides. A recent study (Super League) showed that it is possible to arrange appointments where such obvious links are avoided, so why try to prove neutrality by "forcing" the issue
Looking forward to a great game on Sunday.

It is something that we always seem to meet.   When we play at home to a team from Yorkshire we seem to get the officials from Yorkshire and also when we play a team from the west of the Pennines we get a ref from that area as well.       It just doesn't seem the right way of doing it at times!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#23 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

Very tempting to encourage Acton to play against Leigh, but when you read the N & S article it's seems sensible to definitely leave it one more week ( at least). A pity, but his long term future is more important than one game.

N & S 04/06/13
(quote)...........he has been out for a month with a spinal fracture and is unsure if he will return next weekend against Leigh, following medical advice.
“They said when I felt okay I should leave it another week before playing. The first time I felt okay was yesterday and the day before,” he said. “It’s not like a broken thumb that you can strap up and still play, and be a bit sore. One knock could put me back four weeks. It is really frustrating.” (unquote).

#24 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

Wigan have nine injured players, perhaps they will bring back all their Leigh DR players for their game against Widnes!
We can but live in hope!

#25 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,791 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

DR is one thing , but SL teams loaning players to other SL teams as we've seen this season is something else . I'd stop that , what kind of message does that give ? These SL franchises with all these teams and full squads of talent and players out on DR are loaning players from rival teams . Use you're own you've enough numbers , smells wrong that . Gareth O'Brien is doing the rounds !

Edited by DavidM, 05 June 2013 - 10:23 AM.

#26 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

The Wigan 19 man squad includes 5 players who have turned out for Leigh recently: Tom Spencer, Greg Burke, Dom Crosby, Jack Hughes, and Scott Taylor. Possible two could be available on Sunday for Leigh after the final cut.

#27 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

No Lawton or Craven in the Widnes 19 for the Friday match against Wigan

Vikings from: Ah Van, Allen, Brown, Cahill, Clarke, Dean, Flynn, Hanbury, Isa, Joseph, Kavanagh, Leuluai, Mellor, O'Carroll, Owens, Phelps, Pickersgill, White, Winterstein.

#28 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

well surely craven is an absolute no brainer......or so we would think.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#29 goingupthetown

goingupthetown
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

Looks like Acton, Coward & Phillips back for Sunday! ;)

http://www.newsandst...ferrerPath=home

#30 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

well surely craven is an absolute no brainer......or so we would think.

They won't though , cos we only take Widnes players when we need them and we don't . Surely Callum and Lupton are our best halfback combo.

#31 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

Grant Gore has gone to south wales for a month i see

#32 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

They won't though , cos we only take Widnes players when we need them and we don't . Surely Callum and Lupton are our best halfback combo.

I'd still have have craven if available.

#33 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

The Wigan 19 man squad includes 5 players who have turned out for Leigh recently: Tom Spencer, Greg Burke, Dom Crosby, Jack Hughes, and Scott Taylor. Possible two could be available on Sunday for Leigh after the final cut.

The only one not selected to play for Wigan tonight is Tom Spencer. Looking forward to seeing the four Widnes lads who played for Town in the match tonight. Craven at Stand Off and Leuluai, Lawton & Kavanagh on the bench.

Edited by Supporter, 07 June 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#34 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 841 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

Put in a great first half

#35 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

with Wigan's showing tonight you just hope they dont throw 4 or 5 under 16's into leighs first team - they would also give anyone a game  :onthequiet:

#36 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 658 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

with Wigan's showing tonight you just hope they dont throw 4 or 5 under 16's into leighs first team - they would also give anyone a game  :onthequiet:

Paul Rowley picks the Leigh side not Shaun Wane.

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#37 goingupthetown

goingupthetown
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

Briscoe

Miller

Conner

Mossop

Flynn

Lupton

Phillips

Coward

Mattinson

Dowes

Walne

Morris

Olstrum

Thacks

Carter

Phillips

Shackly?

#38 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

Briscoe
Miller
Conner
Mossop
Flynn
Lupton
Phillips
Coward
Mattinson
Dowes
Walne
Morris
Olstrum

Thacks
Carter
Phillips
Shackly?

carter is on holiday.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#39 TVBOY

TVBOY
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

Paul Rowley picks the Leigh side not Shaun Wane.

What a misguided bunch they are eh Bart. We don't use the DR system like you lot, hence we are not getting a Wigan half back. We only use a Wigan player who is under 23 years old when we have injuries like the list we have. Seems to me that you lot openly welcome Widnes players of any age instead of your fit ones. Win at all costs eh. I hope we batter you today in every department. Clubs like yours are the reason this game is in a mess.

Edited by TVBOY, 09 June 2013 - 06:16 AM.

#40 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

Clubs like yours are the reason this game is in a mess.

Ha,ha....... you are so funny!!!

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users