TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Shut the north's museum of save South Ken ...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

Following the bizarre 'merger' of the Science Museum in London with the National Media Museum, the National Railway Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester the predictable has happened.

When faced with a budget crisis the first reaction is now to cut back the provincials:

http://www.mancheste...ndustry-4045651
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

But that's efficiencies for you when bean counters are in charge.  They know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#3 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

But that's efficiencies for you when bean counters are in charge.  They know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

Oi. Not all of us bean counters are like that. :P

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#4 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

The latest budget cuts to museums saved the central government coffers £11.6m.  At the same time they made the following cuts as well, cuts to taxes for people who don't really need the tax cuts:

- Corporation tax cuts costing £750m per year

- Corporate stamp duty and shares taxation treatment costing £325m per year

- Taxes on shares and share options to employees are being cut costing £130m per year

I'd like to thank the Coalition for sharing out the cuts.  Cuts in services for the country and cuts in taxes for those in the wealthier parts of society.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,747 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

So where is it under threat? Is there a link to the announcement?

A thought: what do you know about accountancy and accountants? 

And judging by post#4 , what do you know about the way the economy works?  For example,  corporation tax cuts don't cost, they create opportunity. And since Starbucks, Apple, Vodafone, Apple, E-bay, Google, Amazon , the Guardian, etc etc don't pay it anyway, they don't benefit. Punitive taxation of enterprise was discredited years ago (except in high-unemployment and recessionary France) , along with Clause 4 and sandals-and-brown-socks.

I suspect you've been buying the wrong newspapers!!!  Try the Mail for the truth

Edited by JohnM, 04 June 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#6 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

And judging by post#4 , what do you know about the way the economy works?  For example,  corporation tax cuts don't cost, they create opportunity. And since Starbucks, Apple, Vodafone, Apple, E-bay, Google, Amazon , the Guardian, etc etc don't pay it anyway, they don't benefit. Punitive taxation of enterprise was discredited years ago (except in high-unemployment and recessionary France) , along with Clause 4 and sandals-and-brown-socks.

I suspect you've been buying the wrong newspapers!!!  Try the Mail for the truth

I agree that punitive taxation of companies is idiotic but we already have a very attractive and low rate of corporate taxation, does it really need to be lower?  Cutting already low taxes is something you do in times of plenty, not in times when you're hacking away at society to "save" money.

#7 Stan Doffarf

Stan Doffarf
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

John, I think there's a bit of a gap between 'punitive' and 'none'. And I'm no more inclined to believe what the Mail says than any other publication.

And when they found our shadows
Grouped around the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death
No tears to cry no feelings left
This species has amused itself to death

#8 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,404 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

Following the bizarre 'merger' of the Science Museum in London with the National Media Museum, the National Railway Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester the predictable has happened.

When faced with a budget crisis the first reaction is now to cut back the provincials:

http://www.mancheste...ndustry-4045651

Can't speak for the rest but the NRM has always been part of the Science Museum.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#9 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

The National Film & Television Museum became the National Media Museum several years ago and got downgraded from stand-alone status  a year or so ago.

To my mind, it's lost its way. If it cottoned on to the fact that media = entertainment just as much as media = journalism + artform, it would attract a lot more people through the doors.

The Imax screen is shockingly underexploited and there is little buzz about the place whether it is trying to attract culture vultures or the hoi polloi. Why is there a separate cafe and bar? Why is there no continual Bollywood programme? It is open till 10pm but makes no effort to make itself an attractive evening destination.

There is a huge outdoor BBC TV screen in Millennium square next to City Hall; the BBC is proposing to pull the plug. Why hasn't the Media Museum stepped in and done a deal with the pub and restaurants next to the screen to show classic films on it throughout the summer?

Judging by its website, all the management team seem to be academics, and all the non-executive directors live in London, apart from the Bradford Council chief executive. Given Bradford Council's historic ineptitude, he's likely to be just as ignorant of local preferences as the rest of them.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#10 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

The Imax screen is shockingly underexploited and there is little buzz about the place whether it is trying to attract culture vultures or the hoi polloi. Why is there a separate cafe and bar? Why is there no continual Bollywood programme? It is open till 10pm but makes no effort to make itself an attractive evening destination.

In the days before toddlers, I used to be a regular at the NMM.   It's about the only place for miles around that has a decent selection of films beyond Star Trek 9: Spock Goes the Weasel and suchlike.

I have generally found that the place was pretty full up until 10pm, but most of the people there were sitting in darkened rooms watching the screens.

I was hoping to become a regular again, once child care duties have eased off a bit, but it seems it's not to be.  There's always been a certain sniffiness towards the NMM as a result of it's location, despite West Yorkshire being the birthplace of cinema (in Leeds and Holmfirth, admittedly).  I'd be astonished if it survives this round of cutting.

FWIW, they're showing Aguirre, Wrath of God in a couple of weeks.   I doubt you'll see that in a cinema anywhere else in these parts once the NMM shuts down so I suggest you go along.

That's me.  I'm done.

#11 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

Judging by its website, all the management team seem to be academics,

Academics in charge of a museum?  Madness.  Pure madness.

That's me.  I'm done.

#12 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

There is a huge outdoor BBC TV screen in Millennium square next to City Hall; the BBC is proposing to pull the plug. Why hasn't the Media Museum stepped in and done a deal with the pub and restaurants next to the screen to show classic films on it throughout the summer?

This, I'll give you.  That's a terrific idea.

You should put it to them.   I'm sure they'll help you organise it.

That's me.  I'm done.

#13 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

Academics in charge of a museum?  Madness.  Pure madness.

If it's just a museum it may as well be in London. But it was established as a revolutionary new-style museum with a vibrant atmosphere and outlook.

The fact is that they have failed to sell the museum to the public. If they had attracted the public and brought both visitors and money in, they wouldn't have (i) lost their senior museum status and (ii) be facing the chop.

If anyone went in the streets, pubs and workplaces to ask the people of Bradford who is the head of this showpiece city organisation, I reckon not one person in a hundred would know.

Let's face it, people flock to the Natural History Museum to see full-scale models of dinosaurs, not to see some bloke catalogueing moths. Eventually, some of those dinosaur-watchers will get interested in lepidoptery ... but not unless you get them through the doors in the first place.

I've justthought about something else. Everybody these days has a cameraphone; why hasn't the Media Museum got a running programme of publicity and exhibitions for Bradford street photography?  A rolling change of photos could be posted on the inside windows of the dozens of empty shops in the city centre.

It's ironic that the people running a museum dedicated to people with flair and imagination (producers of film,photography, computergraphics,) seem to have very little imagination themselves.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,747 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

John, I think there's a bit of a gap between 'punitive' and 'none'. And I'm no more inclined to believe what the Mail says than any other publication.

so you didn't click on the link? Try it! 

#15 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

A few weeks ago I was in Bradford to watch the Bulls play Wigan and it was the first weekend of the Bradford Film Festival.

I went to the National Media Museum to see Billy Liar (one of my favourite films).It was the first time I had been to the museum and I thought it was good.Unfortunately I couldn't go to any of the other events but I may try and go next year just for the Film Festival.

#16 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,522 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

A few weeks ago I was in Bradford to watch the Bulls play Wigan and it was the first weekend of the Bradford Film Festival.

I went to the National Media Museum to see Billy Liar (one of my favourite films).It was the first time I had been to the museum and I thought it was good.Unfortunately I couldn't go to any of the other events but I may try and go next year just for the Film Festival.

Yeah good film. Reminds me of one of our posters ;)

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,747 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

closure plans denied http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-22766162

#18 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

Eventually, some of those dinosaur-watchers will get interested in lepidoptery ... but not unless you get them through the doors in the first place.

Maybe you could just put a really big bright light inside?

LUNEW.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users