Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Memories of the Mount.

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

Has anyone got any old pictures of the Mount?

#2 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

Has anyone got any old pictures of the Mount?

Yes , why? 

#3 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

Yes , why? 

Good question.

I was reminiscing on Sunday, probably due to having a pint or two more than planned, about the way the ground has change since I was a lad.

I occurred to me that it might make for an interesting thread should some kind soles choose to share any photos they had.

What do you think?

#4 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

Only photos I have are in the old programmes at home.

I remember the old terrace where the VP Lounge is now, and the burger van that doubled up as a souvenir shop on the grassy bit at the top of the terrace, and the 10 foot drop at the back with no fencing - the good old days before health and safety went mad.

Also remember the long stand before the roof burnt down, always a cracking atmosphere in there.

Edited by buford t justice, 05 June 2013 - 12:38 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#5 wayneg

wayneg
  • Coach
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

I think I am going back to late 70's here but does anyone recall a Donkey Derby at the Mount? I must have only been around 10 years old, maybe younger but I am sure I picked numbers out of a programme with my Grandparents. No idea if it was a one off or an annual event, maybe part of a summer fare? can't find anything on the net so maybe I have dreamt it.

#6 Bentham Bulldog

Bentham Bulldog
  • Coach
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

The donkey derby was a cricket club fund raising event , early 70s we were lucky with the weather.

The floggings will continue until moral improves.

#7 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

On a similar note, check out this photo stream...

Posted Image

#8 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

a few at the back end im struggling with esp the last 2, can anyone name them all ?

Posted Image

#9 Mick Brannan

Mick Brannan
  • Players
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

The donkey derby was in the early  70's we had the George on Wellington street and i cant remember the donkeys name but the breeding was by rough diamond out of taproom .

#10 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

mmm , have seen that before gav somewhere

Edited by Batley Bob, 05 June 2013 - 11:01 PM.

#11 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:09 AM

The donkey derby was in the early 70's we had the George on Wellington street and i cant remember the donkeys name but the breeding was by rough diamond out of taproom .

I think GOR dated her for a while in the mid 70's

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#12 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

[/URL]">http://<a class='bbc...1989.jpg.html'>

">http://<a class='bbc...1989.jpg.html'>Batleyteam1989.jpg

[/URL]">http://<a class='bbc...1989.jpg.html'>MountPleasantlongstand1989.jpg

BatleyMountPleasant1989.jpg[/URL]

[/URL]">http://MountPleasant1989nineoyl.jpg

Edited by il cattivo, 06 June 2013 - 09:55 AM.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#13 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

I watched a video from around 91-92 on facebook the other day of us against fev and we were talking how the grounds changed its a shame they didn't kept the grass banking for familys in summer as when we were kids we use to play and watch the match and bring a lunchbox to sit with all our mates from school and rugby club

#14 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

I watched a video from around 91-92 on facebook the other day of us against fev and we were talking how the grounds changed its a shame they didn't kept the grass banking for familys in summer as when we were kids we use to play and watch the match and bring a lunchbox to sit with all our mates from school and rugby club

You're joking!!

The Heath & Safety Police wouldn't allow it!!!

Someone slipped at the Rams on the grass banking, got a payout, and the we had to close the area off!!

It doesn't make sense :O

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

#15 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

I suppose as I started this thread I should add my two penneth.

My abiding memories of the mount are the white fence, the scoreboard with the ladders up to it and the little 'hut'....I used to hang around at the bottom in awe of the those privileged enough to do the scoring. Lastly....when the players got changed in what now is the toilet block behind the Glen Tomlinson Stand....many a time I saw the nine 'ole empty so that people could get a good spot to hurl abuse at the officials. Happy days.

#16 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

I suppose as I started this thread I should add my two penneth.

My abiding memories.

Taverners for a pop, get a spot on the 9 hole along with frostbite from the mossy frozen steps.... as soon as a few big lads congregated on the rough land immediately behind it was british bulldog or touch and pass time. Half time scalding cup of bovril and back to getting hammered by some outfit like fulham!!!

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#17 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Taverners for a pop

I spent many Sunday afternoon outside the Taverners with a packet of Seabrook and a pop. :0)

#18 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

I think GOR dated her for a while in the mid 70's

That's my wife you're talking about - I married her. :rtfm: When her friends asked her why I called her donkey, she said heehaw heehaw  heehalways calls me that (the old ones are always the best) ;)

#19 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

BemZnVnIMAAGX6z.jpg

From twitter, for those who aren't on.

#20 From the South

From the South
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

OK from memory here goes:

Back Row: King Henry; Stozzer; Gibbo; Hemmingway; JC, Barraclough; Ian Douglas (?); Russ Sowden

Front Row: GGCowan; Don't know; cannot recall; is that Paul Ratcliffe (doubt it); cant recall rest.

Isn't getting older great!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users