• 707 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

http://www.loverugby...nd-of-july.html

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#2 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

I would like to see them in if the money is right but not if it isn't.

#3 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

I read in that article that it says that Option 3 is the favourite option for the re-structuring but yet a vote on this forum under the re-structuring thread shows 61 people out of 125 voters in favour of Option 3.    64 voters are not in favour of that option!!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#4 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

I read in that article that it says that Option 3 is the favourite option for the re-structuring but yet a vote on this forum under the re-structuring thread shows 61 people out of 125 voters in favour of Option 3.    64 voters are not in favour of that option!!!!!!

Since when has "favourite" meant "first choice of the majority of people"?

Edited by Northern Sol, 04 June 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#5 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,725 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

I read in that article that it says that Option 3 is the favourite option for the re-structuring but yet a vote on this forum under the re-structuring thread shows 61 people out of 125 voters in favour of Option 3. 64 voters are not in favour of that option!!!!!!

So just under half the voters wanted option 3, and just over half the voters opted between the last two options?

So options 3 was the most voted option then, yeah? Making it the favourite on that poll...
Posted Image

#6 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,725 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:51 PM

"a lucrative TV deal..."

I wonder what that entails?
Posted Image

#7 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

The favourite option of whom - the clubs or the fans? I don't think we've heard much from the people who will actually decide on which option is voted in.

#8 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

how about option 4? leave things alone and stop pandering to small yorkshire clubs with decrepit stadia.............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#9 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

how about option 4? leave things alone and stop pandering to small yorkshire clubs with decrepit stadia.............

Like x50
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

Leave things alone but stick to the rules that are laid down u fortunately we have seen that this hasn't happened so things will have to change

#11 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

Rumours flooding RL last night that Toulouse will replace Broncos who will drop to Championship.

Only a rumour but you know what is said about smoke and fires.

#12 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,725 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:48 AM

Rumours flooding RL last night that Toulouse will replace Broncos who will drop to Championship.

Only a rumour but you know what is said about smoke and fires.

Next season?

Sounds a fair option in honesty.
Posted Image

#13 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

Toulouse in SL would be a huge boost to RL in its heartlands.

#14 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

If this happens then conceivably we could have a SL1 of 10 teams with 2 of them French and only 8 of them English

#15 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

Didn't even know they'd applied.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#16 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,749 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

The chances of London in any of their incarnations being dropped out of SL are so low that they're nearly non-existent.  Regardless of what some people want, and call their wishes "rumours", London is too strategically important to abandon.  While London is in existence in a franchised SL, it's an England-wide sport; drop them and it becomes a northern sport again with a couple of French exile clubs.

As much as I'd like to see a top-flight Toulouse, they bring nothing to the table.  Sky don't care about French TV, lose an English club and they'll see less value for money.  French TV, as mentioned above, just don't care enough to pay money, they might be convinced to pay for the two French "derby" games but that's it.  Sky have shown that they'll happily walk away from things if a sport tries to blackmail them into paying more for less, RU have noticed that this year when their premiership final was only shown on ESPN where it was unadvertised by the dying channel with no chances of neutral fans even knowing it was on.

I'd love to see France strong in RL but the only way they'll ever do it is to create their own league rather than expect to displace English sides in SL as they develop more pro-ready teams, first Catalans, now Toulouse, then you get to the other clubs that are starting to demand attention.  Either that or follow the RU example where the countries that can't stand up their own pro league mix together, Italy, Wales, Ireland and Scotland in that Celtic League (or whatever it's called this year).  SL has given French RL a vital and critical crutch to get started with Catalans, time maybe for them to stand on their own feet if they're strong enough.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#17 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

The chances of London in any of their incarnations being dropped out of SL are so low that they're nearly non-existent.  Regardless of what some people want, and call their wishes "rumours", London is too strategically important to abandon.  While London is in existence in a franchised SL, it's an England-wide sport; drop them and it becomes a northern sport again with a couple of French exile clubs.

You seem certain but these are articles of faith repeated as mantras. There are no hard facts to support such a view. The main thing that you are overlooking is that London can only function as a SL side if somebody is wiling to subsidise them to the tune of two million per annum. If Hughes does pull out (and Broncos fans are expecting it) then it is not so much dropping them so much as accepting their resignation.

Then we get back to the "Sky aren't interested in an M62 league" which was said to promote the idea that Crusaders add value to the contract. This was exposed when Crusaders pulled out and then Sky came back with an improved deal a week or two later. Sky don't care about London, if they did then they would show Broncos games more often.

I'm sure that the idea that the RFL will subsidise Broncos will be floated but they've already ruled this out.

#18 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,749 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

You seem certain but these are articles of faith repeated as mantras. There are no hard facts to support such a view. The main thing that you are overlooking is that London can only function as a SL side if somebody is wiling to subsidise them to the tune of two million per annum. If Hughes does pull out (and Broncos fans are expecting it) then it is not so much dropping them so much as accepting their resignation.

Then we get back to the "Sky aren't interested in an M62 league" which was said to promote the idea that Crusaders add value to the contract. This was exposed when Crusaders pulled out and then Sky came back with an improved deal a week or two later. Sky don't care about London, if they did then they would show Broncos games more often.

I'm sure that the idea that the RFL will subsidise Broncos will be floated but they've already ruled this out.

That's why I said "low" chance.  If they lose funding then they're gone, that's a given.

Also, it's a perception issue.  Try selling the credibility of rugby league if it's entrenched in the north with a couple of French clubs.  It's an open goal for anyone who wants to have a go at us.

Finally, it'd be a right kick in the teeth for the Championship clubs who are putting in the effort to improve their clubs if Toulouse get in while having facilities that do not meet the grade.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#19 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

People always suggest that if Hughes were to pull out of London they'd be dead in the water, but what's to say they couldn't find another benefactor in the Koukash mould? Hughes has wasted money on London but the potential is still there for someone who is willing to spend more wisely.

#20 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

People always suggest that if Hughes were to pull out of London they'd be dead in the water, but what's to say they couldn't find another benefactor in the Koukash mould? Hughes has wasted money on London but the potential is still there for someone who is willing to spend more wisely.

It's not impossible but remember how long it took to find Hughes in the first place. Lenaghan was told to sell his shares to someone else but nobody wanted to take them on.

With regard to potential; they've already been owned by a largish football club, a multi-billionaire with a falir for self-publicity and Australia's biggest RL club. What is left?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users