Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Toulouse think they will hear about Superleague decision soon

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#21 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,146 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

That's why I said "low" chance.  If they lose funding then they're gone, that's a given.

Also, it's a perception issue.  Try selling the credibility of rugby league if it's entrenched in the north with a couple of French clubs.  It's an open goal for anyone who wants to have a go at us.

Finally, it'd be a right kick in the teeth for the Championship clubs who are putting in the effort to improve their clubs if Toulouse get in while having facilities that do not meet the grade.

Several existing SL clubs don't meet the grade either. Broncos certainly didn't when they played Esher.

Everybody who wants to have a go at us as a northern game do so anyway. A club who attract 1,800 fans at home games (some of who are away fans) doesn't convince anybody that it is a national sport. London RL done well has huge potential but London Broncos have had little impact for a very long time. 

#22 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

how about including toulouse and featherstone and making it a 16 team competition like the nrl????? or is that too simple for wood and rimmer to comprehend?????
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#23 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,146 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

how about including toulouse and featherstone and making it a 16 team competition like the nrl????? or is that too simple for wood and rimmer to comprehend?????

Because SL clubs are already struggling financially and 16 teams means less Sky money.

#24 owls

owls
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

Only started watching rugby league 7 years ago, while it is not my favourite sport i do want it to grow and succed, the first result i look for in SL is Catalan Dragons,

imo they are a breath of fresh air in the league,Having Toulose in the league would surely enhance it, no disrespect to some small heartland teams  but

Cas v Fev does not  come across to non heartland areas aswell as Toulose v Wakefield,

Stay with 14 teams in the league  with bottom side in SL  playing the top side in the championship  in a play off,

However as much as i would like to see Toulouse in, it has to be financially viable,even if it is at the expense of my favourite team Sheffield,

#25 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

but more revenue from gate money? it's up to red hall to sell the game much better than they do at present and start by gettting a competition sponsor on board.....the administrators of our game are miles behind union at attracting revenue.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#26 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,146 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

but more revenue from gate money? it's up to red hall to sell the game much better than they do at present and start by gettting a competition sponsor on board.....the administrators of our game are miles behind union at attracting revenue.

It's up to clubs to market themselves.

#27 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

The chances of London in any of their incarnations being dropped out of SL are so low that they're nearly non-existent.  Regardless of what some people want, and call their wishes "rumours", London is too strategically important to abandon.  While London is in existence in a franchised SL, it's an England-wide sport; drop them and it becomes a northern sport again with a couple of French exile clubs.

As much as I'd like to see a top-flight Toulouse, they bring nothing to the table.  Sky don't care about French TV, lose an English club and they'll see less value for money.  French TV, as mentioned above, just don't care enough to pay money, they might be convinced to pay for the two French "derby" games but that's it.  Sky have shown that they'll happily walk away from things if a sport tries to blackmail them into paying more for less, RU have noticed that this year when their premiership final was only shown on ESPN where it was unadvertised by the dying channel with no chances of neutral fans even knowing it was on.

I'd love to see France strong in RL but the only way they'll ever do it is to create their own league rather than expect to displace English sides in SL as they develop more pro-ready teams, first Catalans, now Toulouse, then you get to the other clubs that are starting to demand attention.  Either that or follow the RU example where the countries that can't stand up their own pro league mix together, Italy, Wales, Ireland and Scotland in that Celtic League (or whatever it's called this year).  SL has given French RL a vital and critical crutch to get started with Catalans, time maybe for them to stand on their own feet if they're strong enough.

This

#28 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

I'd rather have P&R to be honest

#29 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

Apparently stretching resources by expanding a league that is already struggling financially is too simple for the administrators to comprehend?

Or perhaps they just didn't even think about it seeing as it's not a viable option!
Posted Image

#30 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

SL has given French RL a vital and critical crutch to get started with Catalans, time maybe for them to stand on their own feet if they're strong enough.

Well I'm sure a league of two would do wonder for the French game...
Posted Image

#31 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

I'd rather have P&R to be honest

A 16 team league with Toulouse and Fev/Leigh/Sheffield/Fax AND 2up/down P&R (French clubs exempt) would be awreet wi me. Then expand to 18 by 2020 with two extra French teams.

#32 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

A 16 team league with Toulouse and Fev/Leigh/Sheffield/Fax AND 2up/down P&R (French clubs exempt) would be awreet wi me. Then expand to 18 by 2020 with two extra French teams.

Then watch all the teams going into admin for having little money coming in...
Posted Image

#33 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

Then watch all the teams going into admin for having little money coming in...

I understand what you are saying but if clubs cut their cloth this wont happen. Everyone will be in the same boat

#34 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,146 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

I understand what you are saying but if clubs cut their cloth this wont happen. Everyone will be in the same boat

Some clubs don't need to cut their cloth, they'll spend the full cap anyway; others will revert to a mix of full and part-time players.

#35 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,146 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

Sky are the only bidders for the contract so they pay what they feel like paying. And that's the minimum that allows for a full-time competition. So the exact make-up of the league doesn't matter very much as long as (advertising revenue)>(minimum to keep full time league).

And yes advertising revenue might be higher if we had a successful London side but it isn't i they are on their ###### all the time.  

#36 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

We seem to have no strategy at all within RL. Catalans model is different to Toulouse's. Any new club should enter via Championship 1 no matter where they are from.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#37 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

I just don't get what the benefit to SL is.

Toulouse will not add value to the Sky contract, Sky do not operate in France. Can't see them being too pleased. 

Toulouse's fans will not travel in numbers to the UK, depressing crowd numbers further.  Can't see club chairmen being too pleased.

Toulouse won't attract sponsorship to the game in general, two different markets and two different languages.

Toulouse aren't an expansion club, like Catalan they are "M62 Francais"

Someone help me out and detail what they bring to the table.

#38 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

I just don't get what the benefit to SL is.

Toulouse will not add value to the Sky contract, Sky do not operate in France. Can't see them being too pleased. 

Toulouse's fans will not travel in numbers to the UK, depressing crowd numbers further.  Can't see club chairmen being too pleased.

Toulouse won't attract sponsorship to the game in general, two different markets and two different languages.

Someone help me out and detail what they bring to the table.

There is the potential for a new source of income via a French TV deal.

There is the potential for a new source of income via sponsors (union's Euro comps bring in cross-nation sponsors).

There is the potential for another competitive team, which SL is sadly lacking.

There is the potential for another competitive international team for England to play against.

Just off the top of my head. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#39 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,146 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

But that's why Catalans worked. Should we only have expansion clubs that fail?

#40 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

There is the potential for a new source of income via a French TV deal.

There is the potential for a new source of income via sponsors (union's Euro comps bring in cross-nation sponsors).

There is the potential for another competitive team, which SL is sadly lacking.

There is the potential for another competitive international team for England to play against.

Just off the top of my head. 

Thanks for that, I get that there is potential for a French TV deal, but I worry that what we gain there might be lost when Sky re-negotiate, they're not going to sell any dishes in Toulouse and might lose a few at home.

I hope you're right about cross border sponsorship, personally I can't see it in the near future.

I agree that a new competitive team is needed in SL, wherever it may come from.

I also see that it will over time strengthen the French national team, which can only be a good thing.

I'm not against Toulouse (or any other European team) joining SL per se. Just worried that the perceived benefits might be drowned out by what I think are real risks associated with the move.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users