Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Toulouse think they will hear about Superleague decision soon

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#141 Cliff Spracklen

Cliff Spracklen
  • Coach
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

I'd rather listen to you, but Canetman has been a breath of fresh air.

Big thanks for a superb post from the expert.....

Just had to edit out a couple of mistakes in my original post but still hope it made sense before. Still not quite used to using my fingers instead of a mouse in what is a very sensitive brand new lap top. But getting there.

#142 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,169 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

Just had to edit out a couple of mistakes in my original post but still hope it made sense before. Still not quite used to using my fingers instead of a mouse in what is a very sensitive brand new lap top. But getting there.

Hang in there. I have no mouse on my laptop and after a while, you can't understand why you ever needed one.

#143 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

He also said that the problem is in the detail, surprised you left this out?

His exact words are:-

"Perhaps it needs further refinement, and that may come at the next meeting, when people have looked at it in detail, and will be able to make a rational judgement"

A little bit different from what you are trying to imply

#144 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

Whatever the current status, activity of the licencing committee, or the state of play in the restructure proposals the nettle needs to be firmly and decisively grasped on the acceptance of Toulouse into Super League. Fortunately it appears that decision is not too far away. Both Canetman, who really is on the ground and knows personally many of the key players in French RL and Oiseau who also has an "on the ground" sense of what Toulouse means in terms of it's position as a potential major player in French sport, are both absolutely spot on. If Toulouse are not given the green light soon a major opportunity for the sport will be lost. Concerns about how many actual RL fans there are currently on the ground in the city is an irrelevance. Equally the presence of strong RU and football clubs in the city is equally not a hindrance to the prospects for a Super League club, but positively an indicator that this affluent, young, vital city will support any high profile successful operation, as will the local wealthy Mairie and other public and commercial organisations, which proliferate in the area.
And as both CM and Oiseau have reminded us the potential catchment area is enormous, attracting many new fans in the city and hinterland but also committed treizistes from much further afield as far as the Pyrenees, and the treiziste areas of the Aude. whislt the strong developing area of the Tarn is even closer.
A professional French SL is such a non-starter. I hope now that the RFL/SL will finally grasp the benefits for all this can bring. A Toulouse presence in Super League will greatly enhance the profile of RL in France, benefitting not only the Elite, the Catalan Dragons and the French national team, but grassroots RL all over this vast country. That media interest at a national level is not there, despite the progress that has been made with such as L'Equipe. It is that enhanced profile that will bring more into the sport, whether more young players, an alternative pro pathway to the Dragons, but also business interest.
I felt that Toulouse were let down by the previous Chair of the Federation, who meekly seemed to have accepted the ludicrous offer of a place in the Championship. Toulouse had little choice to accept but it was a "poisoned chalice". Because of his background the new Chair of the Federation has pushed the case for a second SL club in France very hard. But despite the odd jibe to the contrary it will be the whole of French RL that will benefit from a second French club, i.e. Toulouse. The Elite is currently in a pickle, certainly with next season looking worrying. But a Toulouse presence in SL will also be a boost to those clubs waiting in the wings to enter the Elite in 2014-15, namely Lyon, Bordeaux and a Tarn club. Finally if the decision makers and marketing people at the RFL and SLE can't make something of the marketing opportunity of a more credible SL Europe, thanks to a Toulouse presence then I give up. But please listen to CM and Oiseau on this issue.

Thanks for an excellent post as usual - an important factor here is Carlos, the ex-president of TO13 now head honcho at the FFR13, his groundwork whilst at Toulouse has got us this far and his continued enthousiasm will be vital to see the job through

He is now in the perfect position at the FFR13 to carry on the negotiations and his fluent english as well as his important contacts in the ESL & RFL will give TO13 the biggest possible opportunity to succeed

He is a tireless worker and pretty astute on the marketing side - can't think of a better person to be in charge of the bid

Yes, a Toulouse presence in the ESL will be another big boost to the french game just as much as the Catalans have proved. Carlos still has plans to restructure the LER and other domestic leagues however an important ongoing ambition is to secure a joint Catalans/TO13 tv deal with Bein Sports; this important factor hasn't really been discussed though it is pivotal in any future Toulouse ESL participation

#145 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

This entire thread boils down to one very simple question

Do you or do you not believe that the priority for Rugby League in the Northern Hemisphere is having a second French club in Super League to strengthen the game in France, widen the player base and provide England / Great Britain with genuine international competition given time ?

On a different thread, I did post that you can make a case out for a second French Club. If you did have Toulouse then you would have to answer "The catalan question" Rugby Leagues equivalent of the West Lothian Question. Which is simply where would these clubs be relegated to?. The answer would be they should not be. Which is something the game has to accept even with P&R for the other clubs.

Alternatively you can have the viewpoint that French Rugby League is nothing to do with anyone north of the English Channel and that its a "Northern game for Northern people" or "all northern lads" as Paul Cullen's Freudian Slip came out with on Boots n'All a few months ago and West Yorkshire derbys are the way to go.

Both are valid viewpoints, but what the game as a whole needs to decide is which option it is going to take for losing one outpost team in Crusaders is unfortunate but when the second one goes in London at the end of this season, the game will have to decide what kind of package it is going to present to Broadcasters and sponsors, which in itself, will be determined by whether the game sees itself becoming a major sport over the next 20-30 years or a local game for local people, eternally quoting satellite subscription channel viewing figures to reassure itself it's a game that matters..

The decisions made this season will determine the fate of the game over the next 30 years.

BTW -  Back when Toulouse made the challenge cup semi-final under Justin Morgan were we not all saying that perhaps the wrong French Club had been given the nod for Super League...

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER, 11 June 2013 - 06:24 PM.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#146 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

Do you or do you not believe that the priority for Rugby League in the Northern Hemisphere is having a second French club in Super League to strengthen the game in France, widen the player base and provide England / Great Britain with genuine international competition given time ?

On a different thread, I did post that you can make a case out for a second French Club. If you did have Toulouse then you would have to answer "The catalan question" Rugby Leagues equivalent of the West Lothian Question. Which is simply where would these clubs be relegated to?. The answer would be they should not be. Which is something the game has to accept even with P&R for the other clubs.

Alternatively you can have the viewpoint that French Rugby League is nothing to do with anyone north of the English Channel and that its a "Northern game for Northern people" or "all northern lads" as Paul Cullen's Freudian Slip came out with on Boots n'All a few months ago and West Yorkshire derbys are the way to go.

Both are valid viewpoints, but what the game as a whole needs to decide is which option it is going to take for losing one outpost team in Crusaders is unfortunate but when the second one goes in London at the end of this season, the game will have to decide what kind of package it is going to present to Broadcasters and sponsors, which in itself, will be determined by whether the game sees itself becoming a major sport over the next 20-30 years or a local game for local people, eternally quoting satellite subscription channel viewing figures to reassure itself it's a game that matters..

The decisions made this season will determine the fate of the game over the next 30 years.

BTW -  Back when Toulouse made the challenge cup semi-final under Justin Morgan were we not all saying that perhaps the wrong French Club had been given the nod for Super League...

That's a really thought provoking post

#147 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,171 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:49 AM

His exact words are:-

"Perhaps it needs further refinement, and that may come at the next meeting, when people have looked at it in detail, and will be able to make a rational judgement"

A little bit different from what you are trying to imply

In turn I don't know what you are implying, if it's that you prefer the new set up and you feel Rovers have more chance advancing in that set up, rather than joining the SL in it's current form then say so, and we can discuss? Back on topic I wonder how Toulouse would be fitted in in any change to the current format?

Three clubs relegated 2014??

#148 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,171 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:54 AM

An excellent post and excellent summation.

The question is simple, the answer needs to be made in terms of what's good for the game and not "my club" as two french and a London side clogging up Superleague may be blocking "my club" from entry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users