Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dewsbury Rams v Barrow Raiders - discuss the match here

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

Not a classic but a win is a win. Set off well and then Barrow slowly got back into the game. I would like to have seen us take advantage ans get another try or 2. Though Pryce had a decent game im guessing he switched to the wing because he was injured? Morton had another good game I'd like to see him signed up for next season. Considering the injuries we have had and what looks like during this game it's not a bad 3 points. Thought Barrow gave it a good go just made too many errors. Finnegan had a nightmare he couldn't have have had a worse debut.
Nick I didn't think kicking game was too bad, it's certainly been alot worse. We got a couple of tries from kicks.
I think Walshaw had been recalled. Not sure how many points would mean safety we aren't there yet. I'd think 35?
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#22 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

Nick I didn't think kicking game was too bad, it's certainly been alot worse. We got a couple of tries from. Not sure how many points would mean safety we aren't there yet. I'd think 35?

We did and that's what made it worse in a way. Why change ? Why did we stop putting the ball in the air ? By the end we were merely giving them the ball back. I also neglected to comment that it was Hyde who chased back to tackle the Baroow attacker just inches from the line just before half time. If he hadn't things could have been oh so different...

#23 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

As I went to the game today I thought it was an even game, got to say that pryce is a shocker at full back. Quite liked your number 8 though carrying big runs, enjoyed the game and a few fans giving us stick hahahaha good luck for the rest of the season

#24 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

We did and that's what made it worse in a way. Why change ? Why did we stop putting the ball in the air ? By the end we were merely giving them the ball back. I also neglected to comment that it was Hyde who chased back to tackle the Baroow attacker just inches from the line just before half time. If he hadn't things could have been oh so different...

Seems to be a recurring theme - world beaters for twenty minutes then revert to type. Honestly thought we were going to blow them away and then we started playing panic football and bombing chances. Our defence of the high ball still poor, although some of those Barrow bombs were awesome - the Rams kickers should be made to watch the video repeatedly and then told to go out and practice them in favour of the tame little lobs down the fullbacks throat we seem to be obsessed with. Not going to slate Finnegan - it's not easy going straight in to a team when you don't know the defensive patterns and plays, so I'll cut him some slack - thought he was supposed to be fast though - Hyde easily outran him in stopping the barrow winger. A win though. :)

#25 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

. Not going to slate Finnegan - it's not easy going straight in to a team when you don't know the defensive patterns and plays, so I'll cut him some slack - thought he was supposed to be fast though - Hyde easily outran him in stopping the barrow winger. A win though.

Def too early to comment on Finnegan, but certainly didnt look any better than Jamie and as we keep saying it must be depressing for some of our promising youngsters to constantly be over looked....

Maybe if we can get into a position where GM feels we are safe from relegation we can start to play some of our team (and O' Brien...) :)

#26 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

Glens aparantly told craven he doesn't see him as a fullback haha! James wasn't his best at the beginning of the season but believ me glen if you read this, an inform craven is best fb in league!, hence why fev wanted him..

#27 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

How about craven at fb and pryce and morton on wings? Utilise pryce by pinging high kicks to his wing more often too, a decent kick and imsure he would outjump his opposite..

#28 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 938 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

How about craven at fb and pryce and morton on wings? Utilise pryce by pinging high kicks to his wing more often too, a decent kick and imsure he would outjump his opposite..

Sounds like a sensible idea to me,still don't think it will happen though.

#29 BROADEDDIE

BROADEDDIE
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

Agree with the comments about Craven, an excellent fullback and should be there every week, Pryce is to lazy for fullback.

Brown going for a scan Thursday on knee, twisted the other ankle on sunday........needs to rested so he can recover.

Any other injury news

#30 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,038 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

Agree with the comments about Craven, an excellent fullback and should be there every week, Pryce is to lazy for fullback.

Brown going for a scan Thursday on knee, twisted the other ankle on sunday........needs to rested so he can recover.

Any other injury news

The question must be how you can go from being the outstanding player of the season to struggling to get in the team the next year. (Maybe Phil Artiss could answer this - one for the oldies!!) Similarly Lillicrop has only got back into the side because of injuries and his place will be under threat when a couple of players return. On the other hand some players appear to be the first on the team sheet week in, week out. In the words of Yogi Berra (who was a good coach) this is like deja vu all over again!

:elf:

Clearly GM doesn't rate Craven and he is going to struggle to get into the side. He'd be better off moving to another club where he would surely be a regular first-teamer, and undoubtedly come back to haunt us

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#31 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

Clearly GM doesn't rate Craven and he is going to struggle to get into the side. He'd be better off moving to another club where he would surely be a regular first-teamer, and undoubtedly come back to haunt us
[/quote]

Think we are ok across the valley for outside backs at the moment. But thanks for the thought BSJ.

#32 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

The question must be how you can go from being the outstanding player of the season to struggling to get in the team the next year. (Maybe Phil Artiss could answer this - one for the oldies!!) Similarly Lillicrop has only got back into the side because of injuries and his place will be under threat when a couple of players return. On the other hand some players appear to be the first on the team sheet week in, week out. In the words of Yogi Berra (who was a good coach) this is like deja vu all us

Can't but agree. Do all clubs suffer from the extreme brand of unexplicable favouritism or is it just us? I can barely remember it not happening to be honest. Certainly it was terrible under WJ and it might even been worse under Andy Fisher. I thought it might be differnent when GM came, but it seems to be just the same as ever. craven will leave us and do very well elsewhere that's for sure. Tom lillicrop likewise. Still I remember the bad old days when Norman Smith refused to drop Eddie Rombo, Dennis. Bailey and Marquis Charles.......lol...

#33 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 496 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

Haunt you?  Would he ghost past your players?  A spirited display maybe?  Yep, I know, shut up Bi11.

The question must be how you can go from being the outstanding player of the season to struggling to get in the team the next year. (Maybe Phil Artiss could answer this - one for the oldies!!) Similarly Lillicrop has only got back into the side because of injuries and his place will be under threat when a couple of players return. On the other hand some players appear to be the first on the team sheet week in, week out. In the words of Yogi Berra (who was a good coach) this is like deja vu all over again!

:elf:

#34 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

I thought the match had something for everyone; the neutrals (if any were in that sparse crowd) would have enjoyed the twists (and nearly turns) of the hame, the visiting spectators feeling optimistic for a result close to the end and we home supporters worried that we had thrown it after thinking that the opening 12 points in 11 minutes would see us run away with it. It was enjoyable - sort of!

Like others, I believe Craven should be at full back and if Pryce must play, put him on the wing, we've seen what he can do there.

I was hoping when GM came he pick players on their ability or form and not show favouritism, but unfortunately, he does the same as previous coaches and selects his friends. Slight alteration there, he has picked Tebb and Schofield (probably because he's had to given all the injuries) and they seem to have come good. He continued to pick Brown and Pryce when they were carrying injuries.

Can't see us getting anywhere near Sheffield on Friday and, unlike our coach, don't think we know Sheffield inside out as he believes.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

#35 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Not a classic but a win is a win. Set off well and then Barrow slowly got back into the game. I would like to have seen us take advantage ans get another try or 2. Though Pryce had a decent game im guessing he switched to the wing because he was injured? Morton had another good game I'd like to see him signed up for next season. Considering the injuries we have had and what looks like during this game it's not a bad 3 points. Thought Barrow gave it a good go just made too many errors. Finnegan had a nightmare he couldn't have have had a worse debut.
Nick I didn't think kicking game was too bad, it's certainly been alot worse. We got a couple of tries from kicks.
I think Walshaw had been recalled. Not sure how many points would mean safety we aren't there yet. I'd think 35?

Said on sky live results centre that jon molloy played for us - depending on what you read, he is either a free agent or wakey player. So was he a loanee from wakey or a permanent signing ? Showed huge promise when he was with wigan academy by all accounts.

#36 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,038 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

[/quote]

Think we are ok across the valley for outside backs at the moment. But thanks for the thought BSJ.

Maybe you are this season but not next year if all that I hear is true but I wasn't thinking of your lot this time.

;)

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#37 Heckler

Heckler
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

On the other hand some players appear to be the first on the team sheet week in, week out. In the words of Yogi Berra (who was a good coach) this is like deja vu all over again!

Ah Yogi Berra and his assistant Boo-Boo! :download:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users