http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/22780199

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#2 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

The man's an idiot.

I wonder what his line will be when the Exiles win this year?

#3 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

I have to say that McBanana comes across as a bit arrogant and mule-headed in that interview.  George Riley did a good job!

#4 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

so he's alienating the fans as well as being a plank...............

Edited by Viking Warrior, 05 June 2013 - 12:42 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#5 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Why should he listen to the fans? isn't there a good quote that goes along the lines of 'if you start listening to the fans you'll soon be sitting with them'.

Also strange you pick up and the quote about the fans and don't mention this.

"You will have to clarify that with Danny" he said. "You'll need to ask him what his plans are, but I only want players who are 100% committed to what we are doing."

and

"It seems he's not convinced what he wants to do but good luck to him on whatever he decides."

So I dont reckon its as one sided as its being made out to be by people nit in the know on here.

#6 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

so he's alienating the fans as well as being a plank...............

your alienating yourself, I don't think any head coach would listen to the fans.

#7 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,841 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

He could win the World Cup without England conceding a try and he'd still be subjected to never-ending vitriol from RL fans.

I'm not his greatest fan but I still find some of the hatred disproportionate and unjustified. That doesn't mean I agree with every selection - indeed, there are some that I find utterly perplexing. But I get the impression that some of the bile spat in his direction is UK rugby league fans suddenly discovering that we do lack depth in a few positions (esp. centre) and blaming McNamara (or McBanana, LOLZ) for that.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#8 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

your alienating yourself, I don't think any head coach would listen to the fans.

The discussion comes across though as McBanana saying he couldn't give a plop what the fans think, which is probably not such good PR when he wants them to turn up for the matches!  We could all just say 'stuff you then' and not bother.

#9 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

What a buffoon - I still cant understand how he got the job in the first place.

I like the bit about selecting on "long term form" in other words, some of the players selected arent playing well enough, but they have done in the past. Pathetic.

Taxi for McNarmara after another failure in the world cup.

Edited by buford t justice, 05 June 2013 - 12:52 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#10 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

Why should he listen to the fans? isn't there a good quote that goes along the lines of 'if you start listening to the fans you'll soon be sitting with them'.

Also strange you pick up and the quote about the fans and don't mention this.

"You will have to clarify that with Danny" he said. "You'll need to ask him what his plans are, but I only want players who are 100% committed to what we are doing."

and

"It seems he's not convinced what he wants to do but good luck to him on whatever he decides."

So I dont reckon its as one sided as its being made out to be by people nit in the know on here.

It's not about who is winning an argument, it's about finding a place for probably the most talented English player in SL right now. I'm sure Rooney has many temperamental moments, you don't drop him though in favour of a lesser player, you find a way to work it.

Of all the Widnes games I've been this year only one has been utterly dominated by a single player as when Brough came to town.

#11 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

I think most of the vitriol towards Mcnamara is not warrented (yet).  Wait and see what happens at the end of the year first.

My own opinion is that he should have been wooing the chuff out of Brough, who is (IMHO) by far the best half playing in England (and qualified) at the moment.

While Chase does have flashes of brilliance, he would not get in my team over Brough.

#12 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

It's not about who is winning an argument, it's about finding a place for probably the most talented English player in SL right now. I'm sure Rooney has many temperamental moments, you don't drop him though in favour of a lesser player, you find a way to work it.

Of all the Widnes games I've been this year only one has been utterly dominated by a single player as when Brough came to town.

But it sounds like Brough didn't want to be in the squad, why should the coach find room for a player with such little commitment?

#13 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

I wouldn't expect any coach to think of the fans' opinion when it comes to selecting a team. Ever.

But every time I see him interviewed or hear him speak I come back to the same conclusion - Steve McNamara talks better than he coaches.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#14 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

But it sounds like Brough didn't want to be in the squad, why should the coach find room for a player with such little commitment?

Except you have only heard what McBanana has said.  Brough said he didn't want to play second fiddle anymore and according to the guys on Back Chat last night, has also expressed to friends that he feels wanted by Scotland but not by England.  Frankly, faced with the kind of stubborn resistence shown by McBanana in that interview I can well believe that if his face didn't fit (as clearly it didn't) then he would feel unwanted. 

McBanana might have a clear idea what he wants in terms of everyone buying into his plan, but in sticking with that attitude regardless he is risking England's chances.  Proper scrum halves are not easy characters.  They rock the boat, don't fit in, have attitude, whatever.  If a coach is unable or unwilling to manage that, particularly when a player is both gifted AND on persistent good form, then really are they fit to be a coach?

Edited by Saintslass, 05 June 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#15 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

Of course he did, he's going to play for a country with no hope of winning the thing.

He didn't want to play second fiddle, which considering his ability and form is understandable.

#16 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Of course he did, he's going to play for a country with no hope of winning the thing.

He didn't want to play second fiddle, which considering his ability and form is understandable.

No it isn't understandable, a player who says 'I want to be first choice or I don't want to be in the squad at all' is not the type of team player I would want in a squad.

#17 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

I wouldn't expect any coach to think of the fans' opinion when it comes to selecting a team. Ever.

But every time I see him interviewed or hear him speak I come back to the same conclusion - Steve McNamara talks better than he coaches.

I completely agree with this, I'm not bothered that he's not listening to the fans. As a fan though it comes down to confidence, if this was Michael Maguire, Wayne Bennett or even Brian Noble making these decisions I might have some faith.

#18 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Except you have only heard what McBanana has said.  Brough said he didn't want to play second fiddle anymore and according to the guys on Back Chat last night, has also expressed to friends that he feels wanted by Scotland but not by England.  Frankly, faced with the kind of stubborn resistence shown by McBanana in that interview I can well believe that if his face didn't fit (as clearly it didn't) then he would feel unwanted. 

So we haven't only heard what McNamara has said, Brough has said he doesn't want to play second fiddle, so its either first choice half back or not all for him, that sounds like a dummy spit to me, and the England set up is probably better off without players with that attitude.

#19 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

No it isn't understandable, a player who says 'I want to be first choice or I don't want to be in the squad at all' is not the type of team player I would want in a squad.

You'd probably be kicking a fair few out.

Would you say that if you were Argentina coach and Messi said it?

#20 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

Proper scrum halves are not easy characters.  They rock the boat, don't fit in, have attitude, whatever.

Says who? did cooper cronk have this attitude when he was 'second' fiddle for the Queensland and Australia half back spot?

Edited by christopher, 05 June 2013 - 01:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users