Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

McNamara- I don't care what the fans think

• Please log in to reply
371 replies to this topic

#361 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,081 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

What happens if they're still out of form come November, do you still pick them as British coaches historically have? I think this is much of the worry, in the past we have picked players because of what they can potentially do on their day regardless of whether they've done in the last 2 years or not.

Nope, at that time I would argue form is more relevant, but probably still from the players that have been heavily involved, you certainly wouldn't go and start again from scratch.

I disagree that this is the fans issue. Last year he selected two halves who had played in both the Challenge Cup Final and Grand Final, yet he still got slated, because the fans like Brough. Form is all opinion anyway, much of it depends what coaches want from their players, 

Plenty of people wanted Briers for Britain, but he was ignored. This is very similar to that, but the way some fans are going on, I certainly think many have jumped on some form of bandwagon and have an agenda, if that's not you, fine, but there are too many wild criticisms which are way over the top. 

Personally I have been quite happy with most of the performances - I like the way we took it to the Aussies at Wembley, and the way we comfortably beat the Kiwis last time we beat them.

I know think that we have some better players than at Wembley 2 years ago and could go one better. If that happens in Oct/Nov and we do beat the Aussies, how will opinion change?

#362 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

I'm not sure what the latter has to do with the picking of Sinfield? Behind a good pack I'm not sure he's good enough to do any damage. Our pack will go OK providing we don't get decimated by injuries. As ever, it's the backs where the real issues lie.

So if its all about the backs will you admit Sinfitld and Chase were responsible for us thumping NZ in the 4 N, we also 'competed' very well against the Aussies are Wembley, if the ref hadn't have chalked a perfectly legitimate try off we could have well beaten them

Edited by christopher, 07 June 2013 - 05:20 PM.

#363 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

Is Christopher super glued to his PC?

#364 Rover and out

Rover and out
  • Coach
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

So what does a player have to do to break into the England side? If McNamara wants to build a team and rely on picking the same players how does myler, widdop, brough, lineham, lunt, George burgess etc break into the team ahead of the likes of Morley, sinfield, chase, roby if not by playing better than them during the regular season?

#365 Rover and out

Rover and out
  • Coach
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

Oops double post

Edited by Rover and out, 07 June 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#366 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,081 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

So what does a player have to do to break into the England side? If McNamara wants to build a team and rely on picking the same players how does myler, widdop, brough, lineham, lunt, George burgess etc break into the team ahead of the likes of Morley, sinfield, chase, roby if not by playing better than them during the regular season?

Erm, just play well.

A list of players McNamara has selected in proper end of season tournaments:

Widdop

Goulding

Shenton

Atkins

Briscoe

Brown

Tomkins

Graham

Roby

Fielden

Ellis

Burgess

O'Loughlin

Robinson

J Tomkins

Westwood

Griffin

Cudjoe

Crabtree

Harrison

Lunt

Hall

Clubb

Carvell

Reed

Yeaman

Sinfield

Chase

Peacock

Heighington

Morley

JJB

Wilkin

Hardaker

Charnley

Watkins

Myler

McIlorum

Hill

Mossop

Hock

Burrow

Ablett

So in 10 games he has used 43 players. This excludes any mid-season games or warm up games. How can people claim this is a closed shop?

#367 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

So if its all about the backs will you admit Sinfitld and Chase were responsible for us thumping NZ in the 4 N, we also 'competed' very well against the Aussies are Wembley, if the ref hadn't have chalked a perfectly legitimate try off we could have well beaten them

No we almost certainly wouldn't have. We lost fairly comfortably, the Aussies would have responded had the try been given. It's amazing how we never get good decisions and then go on and comfortably beat them. They then comfortably beat us again in the final.

Australia and NZ are two very different prospects. For whatever reason we don't have a big problem against NZ in this country and despite a couple of final victories they are not as good as Australia. They may have won finals but have won just 2 of the last 20 meetings between the two.

I'm not saying Sinfield and Chase can't have played well in that game but Australia is our main problem. Too often we've seen games where we've got into good positions and not looked liked scoring. This is my fear, we compete in the forwards, we get in good positions but then aren't able to do anything with it.

#368 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

So Brough basically wants a guarantee he's first choice or he's not interested, that's just a bad attitude.

You keep trotting this old chestnut out, it seems that Brough just wanted his just reward for his outstanding form over a long period of time, form that by most peoples opinions eclipsed that of the two players selected ahead of him. That's not a bad attitude it's an attitude prevalent in every professional sport, it's almost an unwritten rule. When a Coach ignores that rule then it's he has become unprofessional and shown a bad attitude.

#369 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

You keep trotting this old chestnut out, it seems that Brough just wanted his just reward for his outstanding form over a long period of time, form that by most peoples opinions eclipsed that of the two players selected ahead of him. That's not a bad attitude it's an attitude prevalent in every professional sport, it's almost an unwritten rule. When a Coach ignores that rule then it's he has become unprofessional and shown a bad attitude.

Look we're never going to agree are we so let's agree to disagree. We're also never going to really know what's gone on are we, maybe ask Broughy next time your having a pint with him, but you've got to remember that's only one side of the story.

What we do know is Scotland have gained a great player and if Peter Wallace joins them they could have a decent looking team which can only be good for the WC as a whole.

Edited by christopher, 08 June 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#370 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

Reminds me of the stick that Sir Alf Ramsey got for leaving Jimmy Greaves out of the1966 England WC squad. People thought he was crazy omitting our most gifted goalscorer. Hopefully this will end the same!!

#371 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

Reminds me of the stick that Sir Alf Ramsey got for leaving Jimmy Greaves out of the1966 England WC squad. People thought he was crazy omitting our most gifted goalscorer. Hopefully this will end the same!!

Hopefully it will and hopefully Sinfield and Chase prove the 100% right decision.

#372 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

And that was fixed!

Where did I say it trumps everything? It's not the sign of a poor player though is it.

I'm sure Sinfields gutted he hasn't won the Albert Goldthorpe medal, he does however have a golden boot which is handed out by the same magazine that's responsible for the Albert Goldthorpe medal.