Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

McNamara- I don't care what the fans think

• Please log in to reply
371 replies to this topic

#21 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

your alienating yourself, I don't think any head coach would listen to the fans.

your alienating yourself, I don't think any head coach would listen to the fans.

now now kevin behave yourself.......
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#22 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

You'd probably be kicking a fair few out.

Would you say that if you were Argentina coach and Messi said it?

I dont know much about soccer but I believe Messi is considered one of the greatest ever players to that code of Football, are we now comparing Brough to Messi.

Soccer is also full of pre madonnas nobody would have a side if they didn't pick players with bad attitudes.

#23 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

Says who? did cooper cronk have this attitude when he was 'second' fiddle for the Queensland and Australia half back spot?

Know him well do you?

And in any case, good as Cronk currently is, he wasn't the best halfback in his country at the time was he?

Now he is, he's got the job

See the difference there?

Incumbent player is best. No issues
Incumbent player is fourth rate. Issues.

#24 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

Macnamara shouldn't care what the fans think. He should care about naming his best squad and preparing them as best he can to do as well as they can in the World cup.  

The fact that he has come out with this guff actually shows that he does care what the fans think, as he's reacted to the furore around his named squad on places like here, other websites and in the wider media surrounding Danny Brough etc.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#25 7723

• Coach
  • 705 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

Cooper Cronk was second fiddle to a better player. Brough is second fiddle to a much worse player.

#26 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

Cooper Cronk was second fiddle to a better player. Brough is second fiddle to a much worse player.

This.

#27 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

forget danny brough for a moment, let's talk about shaun lunt, for me the outstanding 9 this season with only danny houghton coming any where near him, yet james roby plays 60 minutes of rugby in 10 weeks and gets the 9 spot for england. yes i think roby is a world class 9 and have said so on many occasions but he has been overshadowed all season by lunt and houghton. so why did mcbanana pick him?? quite simple................on reputation and not current form.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#28 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

He's not second fiddle to anyone now, he will be happy, he's first choice half back for Scotland, if he's picked that is ;-)

#29 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

So we haven't only heard what McNamara has said, Brough has said he doesn't want to play second fiddle, so its either first choice half back or not all for him, that sounds like a dummy spit to me, and the England set up is probably better off without players with that attitude.

Maybe if he believed that he could be first choice depending on form he would still have been eligible. Instead it looks like he's been offered second choice if one of them gets injured. Look at the halfbacks in the last 2 years

France (final) Sinfield Chase
France Sinfield Myler
Wales Sinfield Myler
Exiles II Brough Smith
Exiles Sinfield Chase

Australia (final) Sinfield Chase
New Zealand Sinfield Chase
Australia Sinfield Chase
Wales Sinfield Chase
France Sinfield Chase
Exiles Sinfield Myler

Apart from during 1 'experimental' Exiles games he has gone with Sinfield and either Chase or Myler with a preference for Chase. He's clearly decided a couple of years ago to build a halfback partnership with familiarity. Brough doesn't seem to fit in this regardless of form and is probably 3rd choice as Sinfield and Brough have not been paired. I'm not surprised he told him to do one.

#30 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,516 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

Soccer is also full of pre madonnas

:) :)

A Fev Blog

#31 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

Indeed, hence the outcry from RL fans

#32 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

I'm pretty sure he'll be picked

Steve McCormack isn't an utter buffoon.

#33 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

Says who? did cooper cronk have this attitude when he was 'second' fiddle for the Queensland and Australia half back spot?

I bet he knew if he played well he'd get the nod.

I dont know much about soccer but I believe Messi is considered one of the greatest ever players to that code of Football, are we now comparing Brough to Messi.

Soccer is also full of pre madonnas nobody would have a side if they didn't pick players with bad attitudes.

So you are saying that sometimes, if the player is good enough, you should accomodate them?

#34 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

So we haven't only heard what McNamara has said, Brough has said he doesn't want to play second fiddle, so its either first choice half back or not all for him, that sounds like a dummy spit to me, and the England set up is probably better off without players with that attitude.

In the interview we did, and that was what was being referred to in the post I responded to.  Context is all.

Hardly a dummy spit when you consider the evidence of who McBanana has chosen up to now (interesting how he is now qualifying his use of 'form' by adding 'long term' before it!).  I'd say Brough was simply facing up to the reality of the situation that his face doesn't fit in McBanana World. 

Brough has been welcomed by the Scotland camp and it's possible he will captain the side.  That will be good for Scotland.  If they can nab Shaun Lunt as well (who it would seem can't get in the England squad either, regardless of season long form) then even better for them.  IMO the more competitive teams there are in the world cup the better.

#35 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

Lungs superb form goes over two seasons as well - including cup finals and grand final appearances

Don't know what more he has to do to get a call up either

#36 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

No idea and couldn't care less about Cooper Cronk.

I was thinking more of this side of the world, with Sean Long and Lee Briers springing to mind at the time.  Neither was an easy character and both took a fair bit of handling, but both have been superb scrum halves.  Go further back to probably the most gifted scrum half this country has produced so far in Alex Murphy and once again you find a difficult character who took some managing.  Sure, I'm sure they all aren't characters but of all the positions in a rugby league team the scrum half is most likely to be the cocky bugga who thinks he can change the world.

#37 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

No idea and couldn't care less about Cooper Cronk.

I was thinking more of this side of the world, with Sean Long and Lee Briers springing to mind at the time.  Neither was an easy character and both took a fair bit of handling, but both have been superb scrum halves.  Go further back to probably the most gifted scrum half this country has produced so far in Alex Murphy and once again you find a difficult character who took some managing.  Sure, I'm sure they all aren't characters but of all the positions in a rugby league team the scrum half is most likely to be the cocky bugga who thinks he can change the world.

Don't forget Bobby Goulding, the hardest to manage of them all.

#38 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

Maybe if he believed that he could be first choice depending on form he would still have been eligible. Instead it looks like he's been offered second choice if one of them gets injured. Look at the halfbacks in the last 2 years

France (final) Sinfield Chase
France Sinfield Myler
Wales Sinfield Myler
Exiles II Brough Smith
Exiles Sinfield Chase

Australia (final) Sinfield Chase
New Zealand Sinfield Chase
Australia Sinfield Chase
Wales Sinfield Chase
France Sinfield Chase
Exiles Sinfield Myler

Apart from during 1 'experimental' Exiles games he has gone with Sinfield and either Chase or Myler with a preference for Chase. He's clearly decided a couple of years ago to build a halfback partnership with familiarity. Brough doesn't seem to fit in this regardless of form and is probably 3rd choice as Sinfield and Brough have not been paired. I'm not surprised he told him to do one.

Brough was injured at the back end of 2012 (ask Omega) and Sinfield was actually the form number 6 at that time

and in 2011 was he the best halfback available? not sure, he certainly wasn't in the form he is now.

Also what about injuries, what if Widdop or Sinfield pull out? thats the point of a squad after all, but no with Broughy its, I'm first choice or nothing.

#39 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

Lunt is a very good player, in excellent form and has been for some considerable time.
Why would anyone think McNamara would pick him?
He just doesn't work like that!
As he said, current form doesn't mean anything, past reputation is everything!

Roby will be his No9 going into the world cup.
So who will be the 2nd 9? Lunt, Houghton or McIlorum? That's what he needs to know.
As for half backs, Myler over Chase and given the form Sinfield is in I'd select Leon Pryce ahead of him!

#40 Agbrigg

Agbrigg
  • Coach
  • 899 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

I think a few people are seeing to much into this 'first choice or nothing' attitude from Brough. Brough is a very simple bloke who could quickly fall out with you, but with a bit of management skill ,its just as easy to get him back in line.

John Kear knew how to handle Danny Brough. I also think Anderson can by the way he has him playing.I also suspect some of the other better coachs in SL could easily mould Brough to their will.

The fact that McNamara can't handle him also highlights how incompetent McNamara is and thats why we all know that old titty lips will be toast by Christmas.