RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

McNamara- I don't care what the fans think

• Please log in to reply
371 replies to this topic

#101 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,168 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

i'd love to pit my team against mcbanana's i am sure i would come out on top.

your team couldn't beat a carpet..just look at their league position!

#102 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

You are way too easily offended, I'm a fan do I care what McNamara a man Ive never met and likely never will meet thinks of me? not many fans show him any respect and again I'm sure he doesn't give two hoots.

I'll be supporting England this Autumn because I'm a RL fan and I want England to do well do I care what McNamara thinks of me, not one bit.

Offended?  How?  I wasn't offended at all.  I just thought he acted like a bit of a plank.

#103 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,153 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

Outside of Hull, where not everything is blown out of all proportion, that chairman would probably shrug and trust in the bloke they appointed to do a job to deliver on it.

Because ultimately the fans' views on who is picked in the team aren't important.

But their views need to be respected. This guy is the face of the product that is the England national team. Basically saying that you don't care what the paying customers think us basically asking for them to say "well screw you then."

I know it doesn't matter. You know it doesn't matter. But we aren't exactly the majority of fans are we?
Posted Image

#104 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

Never has so much nonsense been spouted by so many with so little justification. Grow up, children.

What makes your opinion any more valid than those who you are decrying ? Who are you to tell people they shouldn't have an opinion or air their thoughts on here just because you don't agree with them ?
Super Clarty Git Amang It Dip Fer Dippin Owt In

#105 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

1. Yes, and the England team have done as well as any other recent English side you care to mention, I also like his ethos of picking the best payers for the team rather than just throwing a squad of players together everytime based solely on form, its a similar ethos which has seem my club side win many trophies over the last decade.

the last two GB/England coaches on paper were far more 'qualified' on paper yet produced similar if not worse results.

2. They are different players Sinfield has qualities Brough doesn't and Vise Versa, Sinfields record speaks for itself, Broughs doesn't.

3. I don't know, but from what Ive read I'm thinking Brough didnt seem all that committed to fighting for his place and an article Ive read with quotes from Steve Mccormack who says he's been in constant contact with him makes me think he wasn't 100% committed to the England cause. Lunt I cant answer I would have had him in my squad.

4. Im really not going to get into the whole Sinfield international career as its been done to death and you cannot accept any other opinion other than your own on that even when I've posted stats or facts to prove otherwise. RE form, Sinfield has only been in bad form for around 4 - 5 weeks are you saying he should lose his place because of that? he has proven to be a great leader and match winner at the highest level in domestic RL, 4 off weeks doesn't change that.

Chase is actually in good form and can be an exciting attacking RL player and the type of player we need, with Myler and Widdop in contention for half back spots we have probably got the best set of halves for a while IMO.

Ive given you my reasons why iI think McNamara has picked Roby so no need to go over that one

1. On a piece of paper Englands record looks impressive under McNamara, but anyone with RL knowledge will know that its not that impressive. Wales and France victorys do barely count. We haven't lost to either nation in decades and any person on this forum could coach England to beat them. Infact I think England players could coach themselves to beat Wales or France. Then we beat Kiwis in the 2011 4N. NZ never play well in England. The record is terrible have a look in the past decade most England sides beat them. Not to mention that the NZ side was absolutely depleted and missing several world class players. The NZ side we will face in autumn will be much different. Then we have the two games against Aus. The big difference between the sides was the half back combinaton, that was it. We lacked in that position and McNamara has failed to acknowledge it and make changes. This backs up the point that he isn't good enough to coach at international level. This is the best England side we have had this decade, I think most coaches who have coached England recently would of jumped at the chance to select the players he has an offer currently.

2. What record? Sinfields record is awful at international level. Constant poor performances at the highest level, Brough doesn't have that record. Brough has a better running game than Sinfield, a better passing game than Sinfield, a better kicking game than Sinfield. Sinfield has slightly better goal kicking and organisation but is miles behind in the areas Brough is better at. You NEED a running game to be an international half back, Sinfield doesn't have one so IMO that should rule him out for starters. You can't say Sinfield is a better player than Brough you just can't justify it.

3. I've been watching RL religiously every week for not far off a decade now and I haven't seen a half back play better than Brough has this season. He should of been given selection he deserves it. I'd be annoyed if I didn't get selected if I'm honest. He's acknowledged that no matter how well he plays he won't get in the England squad, its a fact. Its NOTHING to do with whats on the field. It's a combination of McNamara being stubborn and having an agenda with Brough. If you can't accept this then you are in denial.

4. If you think that Sinfield has played well at international level then there isn't anything I can do about it. Sinfield has been on form for 4 - 5 weeks for the last 2 and a half seasons. He is playing poorly now, but for the most part he's been average.

We do have the best halves we have had in a while. Shame none of them are going to be playing.

I disagree strongly with a few of McNamaras decisions and I am willing to debate them. But saying you won't turn up to the world cup because of them is absoluely pathetic. We're one country and we all have the same goal. Lets get behind the team and our sport and by tickets and support them. Because this is one of the biggest World Cups in a long time. If we win the world cup it will be massive for the sport. If your saying that you won't enjoy the moment England break a 40 year odd old curse by beating the Aussies due to less than half a dozen team selections by the coach, you honestly need to get a grip.

• flyingking and daz39 like this

#106 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

1. On a piece of paper Englands record looks impressive under McNamara, but anyone with RL knowledge will know that its not that impressive. Wales and France victorys do barely count. We haven't lost to either nation in decades and any person on this forum could coach England to beat them. Infact I think England players could coach themselves to beat Wales or France. Then we beat Kiwis in the 2011 4N. NZ never play well in England. The record is terrible have a look in the past decade most England sides beat them. Not to mention that the NZ side was absolutely depleted and missing several world class players. The NZ side we will face in autumn will be much different. Then we have the two games against Aus. The big difference between the sides was the half back combinaton, that was it. We lacked in that position and McNamara has failed to acknowledge it and make changes. This backs up the point that he isn't good enough to coach at international level. This is the best England side we have had this decade, I think most coaches who have coached England recently would of jumped at the chance to select the players he has an offer currently.

2. What record? Sinfields record is awful at international level. Constant poor performances at the highest level, Brough doesn't have that record. Brough has a better running game than Sinfield, a better passing game than Sinfield, a better kicking game than Sinfield. Sinfield has slightly better goal kicking and organisation but is miles behind in the areas Brough is better at. You NEED a running game to be an international half back, Sinfield doesn't have one so IMO that should rule him out for starters. You can't say Sinfield is a better player than Brough you just can't justify it.

3. I've been watching RL religiously every week for not far off a decade now and I haven't seen a half back play better than Brough has this season. He should of been given selection he deserves it. I'd be annoyed if I didn't get selected if I'm honest. He's acknowledged that no matter how well he plays he won't get in the England squad, its a fact. Its NOTHING to do with whats on the field. It's a combination of McNamara being stubborn and having an agenda with Brough. If you can't accept this then you are in denial.

4. If you think that Sinfield has played well at international level then there isn't anything I can do about it. Sinfield has been on form for 4 - 5 weeks for the last 2 and a half seasons. He is playing poorly now, but for the most part he's been average.

We do have the best halves we have had in a while. Shame none of them are going to be playing.

I disagree strongly with a few of McNamaras decisions and I am willing to debate them. But saying you won't turn up to the world cup because of them is absoluely pathetic. We're one country and we all have the same goal. Lets get behind the team and our sport and by tickets and support them. Because this is one of the biggest World Cups in a long time. If we win the world cup it will be massive for the sport. If your saying that you won't enjoy the moment England break a 40 year odd old curse by beating the Aussies due to less than half a dozen team selections by the coach, you honestly need to get a grip.

Is your last paragraph aimed at me? Seems misplaced if so.

I'm really not getting into the Sinfield thing it's been done to death and neither of us will change our minds.

#107 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 647 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

It is important that regardless of what we think about the coach, that all England fans get behind the team. The Olympics showed the value of packed crowds getting behind home athletes and providing the inspiration for the athlete to push the extra 10 per cent towards a medal. Let's all be the 18th man (and woman and child) and attend the games and provide the support and passion our team needs. Despite some of the selection issues we still have a strong talented team  which on paper has a realistic chance of lifting the World Cup.

• Kenilworth Tiger likes this
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#108 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

I watched Brough demolish Saints on Monday. He is certainly in good form.

Now that he is playing for Scotland, if they pick up Lunt as hooker and a few NRL first team level heritage players, then the addition of Brough and Lunt could lift Scoland from the status of no hopers making up the numbers to the level of a solid team capable, on any given day, of pulling off an upset.

This World Cup could get really interesting. i can't wait.

#109 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

Is your last paragraph aimed at me? Seems misplaced if so.

I'm really not getting into the Sinfield thing it's been done to death and neither of us will change our minds.

Not at all I tried to make it look seperate. Just a few posts I've read.

And I guess we have to agree to disagree.

#110 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

It is important that regardless of what we think about the coach, that all England fans get behind the team. The Olympics showed the value of packed crowds getting behind home athletes and providing the inspiration for the athlete to push the extra 10 per cent towards a medal. Let's all be the 18th man (and woman and child) and attend the games and provide the support and passion our team needs. Despite some of the selection issues we still have a strong talented team  which on paper has a realistic chance of lifting the World Cup.

Agree, but that does not disqualify you from having a opinion about team  selection, There are those on here that rubbish your views as childish because they don't tally with their own, and others that are quite happy to try to take the moral high ground with statements that they will support the team and not join the rabid mob, My My.

My problem is not with Sinfield, Brough, Chase or whoever. I am struggling to take S Mac seriously, I shall support the team though,whoever turns out.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#111 raceman

raceman
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

Ok I've come to a couple of conclusions after reading through this debate:

Christopher is purely here to wind people up with his strange obsession with sinfield, and has implied this elsewhere. And I fear he will get worse now he appears to have a couple of allies? Just ignore him, he will go away when he realises nobody in the playground wants to play with him.

Now to McNamara, the man is an idiot with his team selections and lack of PR. Of course he should care what the fans think DOH!! It's one of the things that makes our game special and separates us from the wendy ball players and coaches. All club players and coaches care about what their fans think, I see us all in this together as one big happy family.

McNamara should just come out and tell the truth instead of feeding us lies about players being in form for more that a month could force their way into the team. Brough, Lunt and Houghton have been in great form for far more than a month but they never even got a look in and won't either unless his favourites get injured. He picked Sinfield, Chase and Roby over 2 years ago as his 6,7 and 9 and decided he wanted to play a settled side, no matter who else was in form they weren't taking those positions. I completely disagree with this policy as I'm sure do many others and that's why people like me are really frustrated and furious at the moment. I genuinely believed that we had a good chance of beating the Aussies this year with the BEST team available to play for England, but McNamara's policy has ruled that out in my opinion. I know it's only my opinion but I'm just trying to explain why people are frustrated as I believe there are many other people in the same boat as me? Of course I will go and support England, it's my Country and I'm proud of it but until then I will give my opinions on what I think of McNamara's selection policy.

#112 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

Ok I've come to a couple of conclusions after reading through this debate:

Christopher is purely here to wind people up with his strange obsession with sinfield, and has implied this elsewhere. And I fear he will get worse now he appears to have a couple of allies? Just ignore him, he will go away when he realises nobody in the playground wants to play with him.
Now to McNamara, the man is an idiot with his team selections and lack of PR. Of course he should care what the fans think DOH!! It's one of the things that makes our game special and separates us from the wendy ball players and coaches. All club players and coaches care about what their fans think, I see us all in this together as one big happy family.
McNamara should just come out and tell the truth instead of feeding us lies about players being in form for more that a month could force their way into the team. Brough, Lunt and Houghton have been in great form for far more than a month but they never even got a look in and won't either unless his favourites get injured. He picked Sinfield, Chase and Roby over 2 years ago as his 6,7 and 9 and decided he wanted to play a settled side, no matter who else was in form they weren't taking those positions. I completely disagree with this policy as I'm sure do many others and that's why people like me are really frustrated and furious at the moment. I genuinely believed that we had a good chance of beating the Aussies this year with the BEST team available to play for England, but McNamara's policy has ruled that out in my opinion. I know it's only my opinion but I'm just trying to explain why people are frustrated as I believe there are many other people in the same boat as me? Of course I will go and support England, it's my Country and I'm proud of it but until then I will give my opinions on what I think of McNamara's selection policy.

I've hardly mentioned Sinfield on this thread you plank and have just said that I won't debate it further as all has been said on the matter. I haven't got a strange obsession at all it seems to be people like you who have.

As for the rest of your post I couldn't be bothered to read it I'm afraid.

#113 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

Bufoon. Idiot. McBanana
Just a few of the insults thrown his way, purely based on a couple of threads on here.

Respect seems to be a one way street in RL
  • Kenilworth Tiger, amh and Dave T like this

#114 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,168 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

What makes your opinion any more valid than those who you are decrying ? Who are you to tell people they shouldn't have an opinion or air their thoughts on here just because you don't agree with them ?

Nothing. Just expressing my honest opinion. Am I not allowed to?

Far too many of the posts critical of McNamara are personal, insulting and abusive. Deliberately mis spelling his name and calling him an idiot is infantile in the extreme.

Edited by JohnM, 05 June 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#115 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

Is that your version of long term or Omega's? ;-)

Obsessed!

By the way I accept your apology, you were at least big enough to accept you were wrong!

#116 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

Obsessed!

By the way I accept your apology, you were at least big enough to accept you were wrong!

No worries I still don't think missing one game should be classed as a long term injury lay off, but hey lets agree to disagree

#117 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

I'm not sure I agree with Christopher on Sinfield (not a World Cup-winning 6 - then again, neither are Chase or Brough, who hibernates in autumn).

However, I'd much rather be in his camp of supporting the players in an England shirt - whether they play for my club or not - than in the rabid lynchmob that seems to be forming on the other side.

i have been watching and supporting england/GB since the 1960's and have watched them play at home and away during that time, i will still be supporting my country next friday as well as in the world cup this autumn, but as a paying customer i feel that i am entitled to my opinion on the coach and the mystifying squad selections he makes.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#118 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

Bufoon. Idiot. McBanana
Just a few of the insults thrown his way, purely based on a couple of threads on here.

Respect seems to be a one way street in RL

Excuse me, but I've called him McBanana for two years now.  Nothing whatsoever to do with this thread. 

#119 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

ditto...............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#120 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

Excuse me, but I've called him McBanana for two years now. Nothing whatsoever to do with this thread.

So you've not him any respect for 2 years? Yet you think he should show you some?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users