Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Town Glory Days

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 amatorpedalis

amatorpedalis
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

I wonder if anyone could help me solve a mystery. I collect and research rugby medals and have bought two Town medals which were sold at auction in Scotland. They are a Rugby League Challenge Cup Final runners up medal for season 1954-55 and a Rugby League Championship Final runners up medal for season 1957-58. The Rugby League have engraved the medals for each competition, but neither the club nor the individual have added their names to the medals. The Rugby Football League were very strict in how many medals they issued which were usually 13 plus 2 for the Secretary and Chairman. 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to who may have played in these two losing finals three seasons apart, but for what ever reason did not play in the 1957-58 losing Rugby League Challenge Cup Final team.

Any thoughts welcome.

#2 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

Can I say from the start that Keith T is probably the expert on historical rugby league knowledge, but I will try to help.
The game took place on April 30th 1955 and Barrow beat Town by 21points to 12. The Team:
1 Vickers 2 Southward 3 Paskins 4 Gibson 5 Faulder 6 Wookey 7 Roper 8 Hayton 9 Lymer 10 Key 11 Edgar 12 Mudge 13 Ivison
1958:
Key played in the Challenge Cup Final but not in the Championship Final
Wookey did the same
Faulder played in the Championship Final but not the Challenge Cup Final
Stamper did the same
Thus, I would suggest the answer to your question is Ken Faulder.

Nice link
http://www.britishpa...gue-cup-final-5

Edited by Supporter, 05 June 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#3 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

I can't do better than that Supporter.    It would seem that Ken Faulder is the obvious choice from the information available.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#4 amatorpedalis

amatorpedalis
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:17 PM

Gentleman I am really appreciative for you both taking the time and trouble to answer my query. Thanks to Supporter for giving me the benefit of your logic so that I can see how you have arrived at Ken Faulder as the probable recipient.

Thanks once again for the info and I will when time allows follow Ken Faulder's rugby league career.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users