Elliott Whitehead; transfer request bombshell

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,094 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:04 AM

Unbelievable news this morning in the T&A, not what I wanted to read at all.

T&A story

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#2 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:16 AM

He'll end up at Salford...at best

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#3 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:21 AM

Sounds like gardening leave for the rest of the season I assume everybody's cap is full, strange move by Whitehead and his agent.

#4 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

Andy Clarke strikes again.
  • amh likes this

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,094 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

I did wonder if there would perhaps be a swap deal involved somewhere, a player plus cash or two fringe players. But I don't know how that would work regarding the salary cap anyway.

I know he'd stalled somewhat and was giving away too many penalties and missed tackles, but I always thought he'd at least see out his contract and improve himself.

Doesn't he know he's in my IRFL team?! <_<

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:39 AM

They only club I know who have room on the cap is us after Brett Seymore was released he was on a reported £100000 + a year contract but there has been no rumours at all about Whitehead in Hull.

#7 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,087 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

Didn't see that coming but based on nothing other than guesswork, I have the feeling there is something not quite right at the bulls.
Still, if he wants out its best he moves on.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#8 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,867 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

They only club I know who have room on the cap is us after Brett Seymore was released he was on a reported £100000 + a year contract but there has been no rumours at all about Whitehead in Hull.

Have you forgotten about a certain Jacob Miller?
Posted Image

#9 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:48 AM

Have you forgotten about a certain Jacob Miller?

Do you think we are paying Miller over £100000 + a year ?

#10 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

Think there are a few clubs under the cap, as they can't afford to spend up to it.

He has talent but needs guidance.

I wonder how much influence agents have in RL?

#11 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

Think there are a few clubs under the cap, as they can't afford to spend up to it.

He has talent but needs guidance.

I wonder how much influence agents have in RL?

We can afford to spend all our cap though, don't know were he will end up but if he wants to move this year then FC must be one of his only options.

#12 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,236 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:33 AM

I'm with Johnoco on this; something seems to be amiss spirit-wise on the pitch and this may be a manifestation of the feelings off the pitch.

It's certainly strange that he would request a transfer now, when salary caps are stretched, rather than at the end of the season.

I like him very much as a player and I hope he stays. Unfortunately, he's just the player that Leeds need.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#13 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

Quality players like Whitehead don't come on the market very often I bet there isn't a club in SL who are not interested in his services.

#14 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

I'm with Johnoco on this; something seems to be amiss spirit-wise on the pitch and this may be a manifestation of the feelings off the pitch.

But he isn't saying he wants to leave the Bulls per se.  He is saying he wants to play for a 'top four' club.  That smacks of an ego problem to me rather than anything to do with the club.

#15 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

Giants have space under the cap, in case a decent halfback comes available...

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,094 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

Without taking this off-topic, I'm not entirely sure which clubs are the Top-4 these days! Wigan and Warrington sit firmly in there, Leeds are doing there best to cling on, but fourth could be any one from St Helens, Hull FC, Catalan and even Huddersfield are staking a claim this season.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

But he isn't saying he wants to leave the Bulls per se.  He is saying he wants to play for a 'top four' club.  That smacks of an ego problem to me rather than anything to do with the club.

May be he stayed out of loyalty to the club when they were in trouble but they have not progressed to the level that match his ambition, if players didn't have a certain amount of ego then top teams like saints would never pick up players from some of the smaller clubs, it works both ways don't you think ? 

#18 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

Utterly awful timing, I don’t see what advantage he gets from this because the Top 4 clubs probably won’t want him involved until next season for practicality reasons. Can’t blame the lad for having some ambition – and he must already be one of the highest earners at the Bulls with the contract he has, but he isn’t going to play for us again either which leaves him in a tricky position entirely of his own making.

The T&A reporter on twitter is saying Catalan are very interested but aren’t willing to pay a transfer fee! Conclusion seems to be Salford or nothing if he wants to move now, but he probably should have waited a few months and the transfer to Leeds would have been the most natural move IMO.

Don’t buy “something is up” at the club either, not yet anyway. We’ve had a rotten run, but in on the pitch terms we are overdue one and we’ve (mainly) had a tough run of fixtures that even in top form we would struggle to get many points from.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#19 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

May be he stayed out of loyalty to the club when they were in trouble but they have not progressed to the level that match his ambition,

I've no doubt there is a bit of truth in this, but at the same time what kind of progress was he expecting in 9 months?!

Also Cummins said that Whitehead said there is nothing more he or the club could have done, so it seems his mind has long since been made up

Edited by Amber Avenger, 06 June 2013 - 08:04 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#20 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

Leeds must be a mile under the their salary cap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users