Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Elliott Whitehead; transfer request bombshell

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#21 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,981 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

Whitehead could go on loan, with a view to become permanent, couldn't he? Perhaps with a player or two in the other direction.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#22 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

I'm only reading between the lines, possibly wrongly, but the last time I recall such poor on field spirit was just before the financial crisis was made public. Up til recently spirit has seemed ok, so the poor in field offerings combined with this latest news makes me wonder.

Also, did he seriously expect the Bulls to be a top four side less than 12 months of a new owner coming in? Seriously? And Omar hasn't money to burn like Dr Koukash and they will not be top 4 anytime soon.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#23 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

It’s a mid season slump coupled with the fact we simply can’t field the same team two matches in a row! Losing is a habit, as is winning. Not everything has to be sinister, although with the past 18/24 months at the club I understand it’s a hard habit to break.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#24 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,981 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

Fascinating, if not fanciful, fairytale just occured; the Westwood to Wakefield rumour could allow Whitehead to join the club in exchange for the permanent signing of Blythe and Evans.

Elementary, my dear Watson.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#25 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

No doubt this kid is class, hope hull sign him he is better then Bateman IMO

#26 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

But he isn't saying he wants to leave the Bulls per se.  He is saying he wants to play for a 'top four' club.  That smacks of an ego problem to me rather than anything to do with the club.

I think that may besomething he's said just to camouflage a falling out with the club.

Francis Cummins has said he won't pick him, so something must be up. Every team in Superleague is picking first-choice players who both parties know will be moving on next season.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#27 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

I think that may besomething he's said just to camouflage a falling out with the club.

Francis Cummins has said he won't pick him, so something must be up. Every team in Superleague is picking first-choice players who both parties know will be moving on next season.

ie Briscoe at Hull, either Leeds or Aus  

#28 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 435 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

Bradford probably doing the right thing there. The guy signed what a 5 year deal last season, now not happy that they're not in "top 4" a top four that includes Hull FC who really aren't a top 4 club. It's not like Bradford are bottom of the league

Fair play to FC no player is bigger than the club

#29 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

I just don't get this from Whitehead. I seem to remember him being one of the fiercest critics of Kopczak when he walked out.

Now, attacking wise, Whitehead would improve any team in the competition, but I'm not sure any will want to pay a fee for him. He runs hard and good lines and has an eye for the try line. However, his defence is really quite poor - he falls off tackles and misses them, too. I'm sure that this can be coached out of him, but Cummins is his third coach and sometimes you have to look a bit closer to home.

If he gets the right coach now who can improve his defence, then whoever he ends up with will have one of the best players in the competition. If he can't, they'll have an expensive mistake.

It's a shame for Bradford who are struggling in the forwards. A very small pack is already suffering from injuries and this will only make things worse, but then this season was only ever about putting a team out for every round. An achievement in itself and one that we all knew was going to happen - Whitehead included, surely?
People called Romans they go the house

#30 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

I just don't get this from Whitehead. I seem to remember him being one of the fiercest critics of Kopczak when he walked out.

Now, attacking wise, Whitehead would improve any team in the competition, but I'm not sure any will want to pay a fee for him. He runs hard and good lines and has an eye for the try line. However, his defence is really quite poor - he falls off tackles and misses them, too. I'm sure that this can be coached out of him, but Cummins is his third coach and sometimes you have to look a bit closer to home.

If he gets the right coach now who can improve his defence, then whoever he ends up with will have one of the best players in the competition. If he can't, they'll have an expensive mistake.

It's a shame for Bradford who are struggling in the forwards. A very small pack is already suffering from injuries and this will only make things worse, but then this season was only ever about putting a team out for every round. An achievement in itself and one that we all knew was going to happen - Whitehead included, surely?

Pretty much spot on in every aspect. Good post.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#31 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

That may well be true, but I'll bet none of them have recently signed long extensions to their contracts.

I'm disappointed that Elliott wants to leave as I still feel he has it in him to up his game and become a better player. That said, his defence, and the number of penalties he gives away, plus the fact he is a second rower, a posiotion where we have plenty of cover [including some who are currently playing better than him] does make it easier to swallow.

I like the idea that we could maybe arrange a swap deal [hopefully for a prop] with presumably one of the top four. We currently have two Warrington players on loan and if they were interested, maybe a deal could be struck, though I guess the jury is still out on whether Ben Evans is really the one we need at prop - and, looking down their squad, I'd guess Elliott might not be the player Brian Smith has been dreaming of either, so maybe not.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#32 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

I have always rated him  myself and i can think of a couple of coaches who could improve his game a lot.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#33 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

Perhaps he's hot sick of Franny's helium voice.

#34 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

I can't begin to say how depressing this is. Truely awful for the club, the fans and the team. Totally and utterly undermines the rebuilding process. Of all the players, Whitehead and Batemen represent what little we've got left to be proud of.

I'm absolutley shattered by this news. If Bateman follows then that might just be me at the exit too...
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#35 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

I can't begin to say how depressing this is. Truely awful for the club, the fans and the team. Totally and utterly undermines the rebuilding process. Of all the players, Whitehead and Batemen represent what little we've got left to be proud of.

I'm absolutley shattered by this news. If Bateman follows then that might just be me at the exit too...

What a loyal fan you must be...

#36 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

watch this space.....................i know a certain club who will have a lot of money to spend on wages etc etconce their on loan second rower moves to parramatta.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#37 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,873 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

very very harsh
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#38 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

I'll treat that with the utter contempt it deserves.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#39 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

I'll treat that with the utter contempt it deserves.

Why? Because you made a preposterous, reactionary statement suggesting you'd stop going to Bradford if two players left?

#40 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,879 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

The Bulls loss could be the ams gain. DR anyone? 

The Bulls loss could be the Rams gain. DR anyone ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users