Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Elliott Whitehead; transfer request bombshell

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#41 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

He'll need to improve his defence and errors considerably if he is hoping to attract a 'big club'...

#42 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

He'll need to improve his defence and errors considerably if he is hoping to attract a 'big club'...

To be worthy of being a starter, as distinct from a squad player, in a genuine top four club he would have to get back to the form he was showing 12 -18 months ago. With ball in hand he was looking a future England player, and it sort of glossed over the negatives you mention, defence, errors and the penalties given away. The talent must still be there though...

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#43 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

I was very impressed by him when they came to Widnes but when you've missed more tackles than anybody else in SL you've still got some work to do.

It's not great PR for the lad either, fans don't generally like players with delusions of grandeur. He may be justified but he'd be better waiting until somebody comes for him.

#44 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,915 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

I can't begin to say how depressing this is. Truely awful for the club, the fans and the team. Totally and utterly undermines the rebuilding process. Of all the players, Whitehead and Batemen represent what little we've got left to be proud of.

I'm absolutley shattered by this news. If Bateman follows then that might just be me at the exit too...

I'm sure there's more to Bradford than just two players?
Posted Image

#45 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,074 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

It's certainly strange that he would request a transfer now, when salary caps are stretched, rather than at the end of the season.

I dont think the timing is strange, players are being signed up for next year now. He probably didnt expect to be frozen out - is that normal for somebody on the transfer list?

#46 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

We've got a few good home-grown players, but only Whitehead and Bateman are both young and first-choice starters.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#47 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,915 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

Surely if they want a transfer fee for him, they need to put him in the shop window?
Posted Image

#48 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

Surely if they want a transfer fee for him, they need to put him in the shop window?

Dewsbury...

Posted Image

#49 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

To be worthy of being a starter, as distinct from a squad player, in a genuine top four club he would have to get back to the form he was showing 12 -18 months ago. With ball in hand he was looking a future England player, and it sort of glossed over the negatives you mention, defence, errors and the penalties given away. The talent must still be there though...

Perhaps it will take the right coach to realise his potential, That's not to criticize F Cummings at all, but I would  put money on it that N Brown would improve him no end,

I wouldn't be  at all surprised to see him at Wolves next season, I think they have the resources and probably the young players to come to some arrangement.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#50 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

Briscoe at Hull has turned a contract down but he's been playing every week, apart from Saturday that is he's got a knock, the fans no he is going and so does the club but they are just getting on with it.So what's different with the situation between Bradford and Whitehead that they have frozen him out

#51 Stan Doffarf

Stan Doffarf
  • Coach
  • 984 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

Briscoe at Hull has turned a contract down but he's been playing every week, apart from Saturday that is he's got a knock, the fans no he is going and so does the club but they are just getting on with it.So what's different with the situation between Bradford and Whitehead that they have frozen him out

Are you serious? You can't see the difference?

And when they found our shadows
Grouped around the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death
No tears to cry no feelings left
This species has amused itself to death

#52 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

Are you serious? You can't see the difference?

I was asking a question trying to understand the difference in the situation, yes it was a serious question, I like others want to know why Bradford and Whitehead have got to this state of play.There obviously a difference because Briscoes still playing for us.

#53 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,074 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

I was asking a question trying to understand the difference in the situation, yes it was a serious question, I like others want to know why Bradford and Whitehead have got to this state of play.There obviously a difference because Briscoes still playing for us.

is it not because Whitehead now wants to get out of his long-term (recently signed) contract, whereas Briscoe is looking to move at the end of his contract.

#54 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 999 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

Not a fan at all and would hate to see him at Leeds. His defence is abysmal and he struggles to win in contact. He is very quick but I have never seen anything from him that has justified the hype. He is a long way behind Bateman and Addy in the back row stakes and Olbison looks to be a stronger ball runner. Im quite shocked that I have seen people say things like he is a"quality" player on here TBF.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#55 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

Not a fan at all and would hate to see him at Leeds. His defence is abysmal and he struggles to win in contact. He is very quick but I have never seen anything from him that has justified the hype. He is a long way behind Bateman and Addy in the back row stakes and Olbison looks to be a stronger ball runner. Im quite shocked that I have seen people say things like he is a"quality" player on here TBF.

I think your management team will think differently. He is just what they want to beef up your pack. And over the next two seasons they'll need three more of the same calibre to replace Kylie, JJB, Sinfield and Peacock. Add to those, McGuire and Burrow, and it's obvious that now's the time to start a rolling replacement programme.

Obviously we support enemy teams and we don't watch each other's teams every week; however, from what I have seen this season, I think Elliott's currently a better player than JJB.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#56 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 999 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

Actually, I see Bradford pretty much every week. I have never rated Whitehead and feel that if he had come through maybe the Salford system, he wouldn't have been in SL now. You can't miss as many tackles as he does and play for a top team, week in, week out. I have no agenda against The Bulls either. I have a massive soft spot for them because of how much I get to see them play. I would take Addy or Bateman in a heartbeat.

Whitehead would be a step in the wrong direction for Leeds, especially with the backrowers we have in the squad at the moment. We have Ablett, Delaney (who will hopefully stay around for a while and is only 26 I think), Clarkson and Achurch who will get better and has the potential to be very good. Behind them we have Sutcliffe and Ward. One will be a half back, one will be a loose. Whitehead just brings sloppy defence and isnt the biggest forward in the world.

On JJB, he isnt the player he used to be 2 years ago. How he got in the England squad I don't know. He does give 110% every minute he is on the pitch though but his goal line defence is shocking and he has cost us 2 very important tries in the last 2 games at vital times.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#57 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:27 PM

I'm sure there's more to Bradford than just two players?

How long can you watch something you love being ripped to shreds? Whitehead and Bateman are at the absolute heart of what's left.

Camels and straws.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#58 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:36 AM

How long can you watch something you love being ripped to shreds? Whitehead and Bateman are at the absolute heart of what's left.

Camels and straws.

I know exactly how you feel after watching Salford's team dismantled last year

#59 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

Sounds to me like he's been unsettled by an offer from elsewhere.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#60 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

Sounds to me like he's been unsettled by an offer from elsewhere.

Or his agent has...

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users