Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Elliott Whitehead; transfer request bombshell

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#61 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

Or his agent has...

Yes but he HAS to bite, and I suspect that he has.

Given that he's just signed an extended deal, I'd say that this narrows down the clubs that could be considered as the suspects.

#62 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

Given that he's just signed an extended deal, I'd say that this narrows down the clubs that could be considered as the suspects.

Maybe certain aspects of that deal haven't been honoured.

Edited by Wolford6, 07 June 2013 - 09:34 AM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#63 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,994 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

Yes but he HAS to bite...

Not for the first time.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#64 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

Such as?

#65 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,994 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:57 AM

I'm absolutley shattered by this news. If Bateman follows then that might just be me at the exit too...

This made @RLMeltdown

Congrats, I think. :unsure:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#66 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

Dunno about that but there must be something which has casued both his big loss of form and the request. I can't seriously think the club would do anything to upset a much lauded, local player who has been used in a great deal of the club literature and promotions, both before and since he siged the long term deal. that's not to say it's impossible, of course but my money [if I were a betting man] would be on him being tapped up.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#67 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

Dunno about that but there must be something which has casued both his big loss of form and the request. I can't seriously think the club would do anything to upset a much lauded, local player who has been used in a great deal of the club literature and promotions, both before and since he siged the long term deal. that's not to say it's impossible, of course but my money [if I were a betting man] would be on him being tapped up.

There is also the fact that last year there was an awful lot of emotion around the club, it was a strange environment and people may have made decisions based on all sorts of loyalty, emotion etc and not necessarily with a clear head.

Maybe the reality is hitting home for players like this that Bradford may struggle to really break back into the top teams and challenge for honours in the next few years. Maybe he has seen who they are signing, and maybe now the dust has settled, the reality is that he is playing for a mid-table team in a huge stadium in front of around 8k per week.

Of course if the above is the case, I think it is out of order and it is up to the likes of him to move the club forwards.

Or maybe, he just doesn't feel he is developing under a coach who is still learning his trade.

#68 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

There is also the fact that last year there was an awful lot of emotion around the club, it was a strange environment and people may have made decisions based on all sorts of loyalty, emotion etc and not necessarily with a clear head.

Maybe the reality is hitting home for players like this that Bradford may struggle to really break back into the top teams and challenge for honours in the next few years. Maybe he has seen who they are signing, and maybe now the dust has settled, the reality is that he is playing for a mid-table team in a huge stadium in front of around 8k per week.

Of course if the above is the case, I think it is out of order and it is up to the likes of him to move the club forwards.

Or maybe, he just doesn't feel he is developing under a coach who is still learning his trade

I agree with a lot of your post Dave but its a short career and if whitehead needs to put himself first and his family before the needs of the Bulls can anyone really blame him.As I said before that's how it works, Carvell did exactly the same to us agreed a contract and then signed for you, I bet you were over the moon and couldn't give two hoots how it affected us. (this is not a dig at you by the way dave  ;) ).

Edited by westhuller, 07 June 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#69 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

This made @RLMeltdown

Congrats, I think. :unsure:

I normally quite like Meltdown, but this comment seemed to be taken out of context, which set me thinking how many others might be.
People called Romans they go the house

#70 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

I agree with a lot of your post Dave but its a short career and if whitehead needs to put himself first and his family before the needs of the Bulls can anyone really blame him.As I said before that's how it works, Carvell did exactly the same to us agreed a contract and then signed for you, I bet you were over the moon and couldn't give two hoots how it affected us. (this is not a dig at you by the way dave  ;) ).

I'm not a big fan of people signing long term contracts one minute and then wanting to move on the next when it would appear little has changed. Fair enough if a new manager comes in, or there is drastic change, but Carvell's and now Whitehead's hardly show them in good light.

#71 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

I followed RLMeltdown for a while, but it's singularly the most predictable, depressing, unimaginative and boring RL related account on twitter, aside from Richard Mathers'.  

#72 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

I normally quite like Meltdown, but this comment seemed to be taken out of context, which set me thinking how many others might be.

Why do you think it was taken out of context? It read quite simply to me, that a fan stated that he may stop supporting a club if they sell these two players.

#73 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

Why do you think it was taken out of context? It read quite simply to me, that a fan stated that he may stop supporting a club if they sell these two players.

A small but very important point Dave - I didn't say sell. If the club has to sell a player to survive then so be it. That doesn't seem to be the case here. This is a cornerstone of the spirit of the club on the field deciding to walk away.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#74 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

A small but very important point Dave - I didn't say sell. If the club has to sell a player to survive then so be it. That doesn't seem to be the case here. This is a cornerstone of the spirit of the club on the field deciding to walk away.

But ultimately these are just individual players, they may have a whole host of reasons for wanting to leave, I'm still not sure why these leaving would be so key. I've seen in at Warrington many times, I was upset when Sculthorpe and Harris wanted out at Warrington all those years back - it never made me question my support of the club.

#75 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

Or maybe, he just doesn't feel he is developing under a coach who is still learning his trade.

Well, it's a fair point Dave and as good as anyone else has come up with.

To be honest, I very much agree with the view that westhuller has put forward about players in a short career which they need to maximise and, when things are done properly, I have no problem with players leaving. To the best of my knowledge Elliott has done it by the book, exactly as it has to be done, so I've no real crib with him, other than just the basic puzzlement about why, especially after so recently signing in the first place. To which you can add, as mentioned previously, his form doesn't really suggest that any top four club would need to be having a bidding war to secure his services right now. I wouldn't be shocked to find his agent makes more when a player moves clubs than he does when they re-sign for their current club.....

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#76 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

But ultimately these are just individual players, they may have a whole host of reasons for wanting to leave, I'm still not sure why these leaving would be so key. I've seen in at Warrington many times, I was upset when Sculthorpe and Harris wanted out at Warrington all those years back - it never made me question my support of the club.

My support of the club isn't the question. It's about attendance. Individual players come and go over the years and that's just a fact of life for any sporting organisation. The way I'm feeling at the moment I'm getting near the end of my emotional energy when it comes to the club. I've been a season ticket holder for nigh on 30yrs and it's a 200 mile round trip to every home game. After the last five years of complete turmoil we are where we are. We know that we're not good enough to compete at the top, but we can root outselves in the young players that profess to love the club and will see us through to brighter days.

Except that it's a lie... first Kopczack now Whitehead. Who's next? Addy, Donno, Bateman?
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#77 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Whilst I didn't agree with Konkrete's sentiments (although I hardly have a right to disagree - I am sure he is a much more active fan than I am), the posting was in relation to a thread.

The entire post displayed Konkrete's frustrations and desperations. The Twitter post made it look like petulance.
People called Romans they go the house

#78 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,994 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

Both sides have done it by the book, as far as I know. Whitehead went through the right channels, and by admission of wanting to move, Cummins has done the right thing of not playing him. I'm even consoled by the timing, even though it could disrupt the season, there is time to readjust and replace for next year. A transfer request out of season might not be as beneficial on this front.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#79 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

My support of the club isn't the question. It's about attendance. Individual players come and go over the years and that's just a fact of life for any sporting organisation. The way I'm feeling at the moment I'm getting near the end of my emotional energy when it comes to the club. I've been a season ticket holder for nigh on 30yrs and it's a 200 mile round trip to every home game. After the last five years of complete turmoil we are where we are. We know that we're not good enough to compete at the top, but we can root outselves in the young players that profess to love the club and will see us through to brighter days.

Except that it's a lie... first Kopczack now Whitehead. Who's next? Addy, Donno, Bateman?

Fair enough mate, I can see it's not been easy during the last couple of years and that's your prerogative.

#80 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

I think as fans we have all felt like that, you said what you said because your passionate about the Bulls, everyone who has read your posts on here for a while understands your feelings.One thing I will guarantee you will never stop supporting the Bulls, chin up old bean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users