Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Elliott Whitehead; transfer request bombshell

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#81 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,813 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Whilst I didn't agree with Konkrete's sentiments (although I hardly have a right to disagree - I am sure he is a much more active fan than I am), the posting was in relation to a thread.

The entire post displayed Konkrete's frustrations and desperations. The Twitter post made it look like petulance.

TBH that's the flaw with the concept of the meltdown accounts, but ultimately, they don't amend what people have said.

I think Konkrete's view is quite extreme - but it is his, and he has every right to hold it, for whatever reasons he does (as he has explained above) but when posting something like that on the internet, I think it is fair game that it is picked up on.

#82 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,813 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

Both sides have done it by the book, as far as I know. Whitehead went through the right channels, and by admission of wanting to move, Cummins has done the right thing of not playing him. I'm even consoled by the timing, even though it could disrupt the season, there is time to readjust and replace for next year. A transfer request out of season might not be as beneficial on this front.

Why do you think it is better that he is not playing? Is it not cutting off your nose to spite your face? Surely he will put the effort in as he will want to be in the shop window, which will benefit Bulls.

I don't buy this 100% committed point, otherwise the club wouldn't be loaning players like Blythe.

Personally I'd want him earning his salary.

#83 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

Why do you think it is better that he is not playing? Is it not cutting off your nose to spite your face? Surely he will put the effort in as he will want to be in the shop window, which will benefit Bulls.

I don't buy this 100% committed point, otherwise the club wouldn't be loaning players like Blythe.

I suppose, but unlike some other confirmed departures throughout the league, he said he didn't want to be at Bradford anymore and the club weren't progressing how he'd like, in a way I liken it to Hock's situation with Wigan (from the outside obviously). He wants to move and I think his comments will make it too difficult to work with day to day.

Yes, Evans was in the press last week saying he'd be raring to go when he returns to Warrington, or words to that affect, but he and Blythe want to play first team and since coming to Bradford have had nothing but praise - which you can take with a pinch of salt, but Whitehead has gone against that - those loanees are prepared to come here each day. It's become clear Whitehead isn't.

I guess maybe the gardening leave could be revoked after more discussions, but I've no problem with Cummins only using players who want to be at the club. To an extent the loanees are emergency loans due to the faff last season, but Francis believed those players had to characteristics he was looking for. Often he says he won't go out and get anyone, they have to have the right attitude, etc. This could be guff, it could be genuine, it's measured against anything else he's said in his tenure, including the point about commitment.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#84 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,115 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

I've been a season ticket holder for nigh on 30yrs and it's a 200 mile round trip to every home game.

I've been going to Odsal since 1975. Over the period, I've had five houses. The furthest distance to Odsal has been four miles!

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#85 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

I suppose, but unlike some other confirmed departures throughout the league, he said he didn't want to be at Bradford anymore and the club weren't progressing how he'd like, in a way I liken it to Hock's situation with Wigan (from the outside obviously). He wants to move and I think his comments will make it too difficult to work with day to day.

Yes, Evans was in the press last week saying he'd be raring to go when he returns to Warrington, or words to that affect, but he and Blythe want to play first team and since coming to Bradford have had nothing but praise - which you can take with a pinch of salt, but Whitehead has gone against that - those loanees are prepared to come here each day. It's become clear Whitehead isn't.

I guess maybe the gardening leave could be revoked after more discussions, but I've no problem with Cummins only using players who want to be at the club. To an extent the loanees are emergency loans due to the faff last season, but Francis believed those players had to characteristics he was looking for. Often he says he won't go out and get anyone, they have to have the right attitude, etc. This could be guff, it could be genuine, it's measured against anything else he's said in his tenure, including the point about commitment.

Unless his comments are anything approaching gross misconduct, and they're not, then Bradford a cutting their nose off to spite their face.  They're paying him, so play him.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#86 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

I've been going to Odsal since 1975. Over the period, I've had five houses. The furthest distance to Odsal has been four miles!

Which part of his new deal you suspect have not been honoured?

Edited by Larry the Leit, 07 June 2013 - 07:27 PM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#87 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Unless his comments are anything approaching gross misconduct, and they're not, then Bradford a cutting their nose off to spite their face.  They're paying him, so play him.

He hasn't exactly been pulling up trees this season, top for missed tackles and second for penalties...

We're resting him! ;)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#88 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,115 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

Which part of his new deal you suspect have not been honoured?

I don't know if that's the case at all. It's just that he's never appeared the sort of lad who would take his bat home. He's a local lad, played for West Bowling through the age groups.

However: -

on the finance front:

- home crowds have been lower than was hoped and we have had one new director who joined and left within about a month. The club receives considerably lower tv monies than in previous years.

- we won't have a home gate between the 3rd of May and the 23rd of June.

on the playing front:

- we don't know if there has been a falling out between players or between players and coaches.

- in my opinion, the team has played poorly for at least six weeks; though, to be fair, I didn't go to Hull KR last week. Maybe, there's been some in-house sniping.

In a perverse way, I'm looking forward to Sunday's game at Saints .... we have loads of players missing and it will be interesting to see how the team front up in a game we are unlikely to win. For the fans, losing by ten points tells a much different story than losing by forty points.

#89 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

In a perverse way, I'm looking forward to Sunday's game at Saints .... we have loads of players missing and it will be interesting to see how the team front up in a game we are unlikely to win. For the fans, losing by ten points tells a much different story than losing by forty points.

My thoughts exactly, some in-house adversity, no Walker and Whitehead - who in my opinion have been poor but also defensively disappointing - and no chief go-too guy in Sammut, his first game out, we'll have to try something new and at worst the rot continues, at best we win and get one over a top 8 rival. I think at best we can scrape it, but I was unsure before this week, now I'm just utterly in the dark.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#90 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

I followed RLMeltdown for a while, but it's singularly the most predictable, depressing, unimaginative and boring RL related account on twitter, aside from Richard Mathers'.

RLMeltdown is lazy, predictable and pointless. Not to mention cowardly (I really can't be doing with Internet heroes hiding behind a pseudonym).

Why doesn't the bed-wetter behind this account come out of his hiding place and post some actual opinions of his own?

#91 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

On purpose?
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#92 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

But Matty Blythe is 100% committed, he was when he played against you at the HJ and has been every time he plays as have all the other loanees - like all fans you can pick up when a player isn't totally there 'in sprit'.

To be honest, I don't have any real opinion about the 'gardening leave', for  no other reason than I've no details to base the opinion on; I'm not privvy to the details of what has been said behind closed doors so can't judge. It is the coach's decision and I respect it as such. I do know Cummins has been trying to engender a strong team bond and maybe he feels that someone who clearly doesn't believe in the team, and has stated so, quite clearly, in public, would be a bad influence.

It seems there is no actual club on the horizon, pace the local rag today, so maybe this might be reviewed if it were to drag on [it would be in no-ones interest; whitehead going to pot and the club paying a salary for nothing] so who knows where we are going with this.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#93 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

Lil bro has known Elliott for a fair few years and was chatting to him last night in Cue Gardens, he said he wasn't tapped up and felt like he needed the change. Now, I take that with a pinch of salt to be honest. It could be a fib or it could be the truth.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#94 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,813 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

But Matty Blythe is 100% committed, he was when he played against you at the HJ and has been every time he plays as have all the other loanees - like all fans you can pick up when a player isn't totally there 'in sprit'.

but this is sort of my point, Matty Blythe is not passionate about playing for the Bulls - he wants to do well for himself and get himself back in at Warrington.

Players play for all sorts of reasons, I think somebody wanting to ultimately leave a club can still contribute in the short term. Loan deals are perfect examples.

#95 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

but this is sort of my point, Matty Blythe is not passionate about playing for the Bulls - he wants to do well for himself and get himself back in at Warrington.

Players play for all sorts of reasons, I think somebody wanting to ultimately leave a club can still contribute in the short term. Loan deals are perfect examples.

All we can go on it what is said in the press, but it certainly seems like now he's very committed, or has been since he joined. In the off he might have been just wanting to play anywhere, but as we've seen this week, people's views can change. He seems very happy here (obviously, this is just the on-field commitment and interviews, so again what does that really mean?!)

Perhaps it is a line by Cummins, we all believed the last lot and their lines until the truth came out.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#96 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

I think Matty is 100% committed to the club for the season and is clearly very happy to be playing here - whatever the ultimate goal. The difference with Elliott is in his statements to the press, where he clearly doesn't think the club is good enough, not going in the right direction, etc, plus whatever might have been said in the privacy of the dressing rooms. Whatever the reasons, he's made it clear he's not happy, as distinct from Matty, who has made it abundantly clear that he is happy to be here. That, to me is the distinction, and I'm assuming Cummins has made an assessment in good faith and made the judgement in the best interests of the team.

#97 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,115 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

Ignore the stats, Elliott Whitehead would be in the starting seventeen for every club in Superleague, except maybe Warrington.

Matty Blythe is very happy at the Bulls because he's first choice every week and, to be fair, is playing very well. He knows that when everyone's fit, he wouldn't be in the seventeen at Warrington.

It's inappropriate to compare the two players' attitudes; they've got different contracts and, I believe, different futures ahead of them.

#98 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,011 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

All this makes me think what was the point of keeping the team in SL but giving them half the money. Its clearly hampering any efforts to move forward, perhaps it would have been better to drop down and start again....except really start again again not just say it.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#99 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,813 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

Ignore the stats, Elliott Whitehead would be in the starting seventeen for every club in Superleague, except maybe Warrington.

Matty Blythe is very happy at the Bulls because he's first choice every week and, to be fair, is playing very well. He knows that when everyone's fit, he wouldn't be in the seventeen at Warrington.

It's inappropriate to compare the two players' attitudes; they've got different contracts and, I believe, different futures ahead of them.

bringing Blythe into it wasnt about directly comparing the players - as you say, their situations are different. It was more about freezing someone out who isnt committed to the long term. Plenty of clubs play players not committed long term, as long as they do the job here and now.
All that said, Cummins has the right to take this course of action and we have no idea of what has really gone on.

#100 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

That might have possibly have been true last season - at least, if they had the odd injury, he might have been a starter with most, but it's undeniable that his form has dropped this season.  You could maybe overlook some of the missed tackles and lack of discipline when the lad was offereing a more substatial attacking threat, but his performances have definitely hit a plateu and have since fallen away somewhat. It may be this sense of 'disillusionment' with the club, it may also be temporary - who knows, but it can't really be denied, imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users