Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Denis Jackson

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 red box

red box
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

For those of you that are unaware Denis Jackson has been suffering with dementia for some years now. He is at present in Abbey View with quite advanced Alzeimers and is down to 10 stone.

His daughter Louise Crowe will be the subject of a sponsored head shaving on 22nd June to raise funds for Alzheimers research to honour her Dad. As she said, " My Dad will never come back but my hair will grow again."

Denis was "pound for pound undoubtably one of the hardest players to take the field" ( not my words i'm quoting what Spanky MacFarlane and Boxer Walker said to me).

There will be an article in the Evening Mail giving details of how to donate and I believe a  dj from the Bay will actually be doing the deed.

#2 StevotheGreat

StevotheGreat
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

I saw Denis last year at a bowls competition in Askam and it was sad to see how much he had deteriorated then to a shadow of his former self.

The words 'Star' and 'Legend' are bandied about too much on this site and the local rag IMO but having watched and played under Denis during his time with Barrow and as coach of the local inter town teams i feel that these words are thoroughly justified, in his case, having showed his metal against some of the best in the business and not just those from the lower leagues.

Good luck to Louise in her fund raising efforts and hopefully she'll raise a lot of cash and also awareness for this terrible disease.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users