Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

2013 World Cup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,676 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

I have to admit when the games for west Cumbria were first announced I wasn't too fussed about them but as we get nearer to the competition I am starting to get rather excited at seeing some of the great players playing at Derwent Park.   

I remember the Samoa versus Maori's game at DP on a wet night in the 2000 World Cup and what a great evenings entertainment those two teams gave us and a crowd of 4,107.    Neither side were ever in with a shout of winning the World Cup but on the night you would have thought they were playing the final there and then.

Looking at the Tongan and Italy teams that will be playing here there are some great names in their squads.   For Tongan there is Ephrame Lauaki; Sam Moa; Lopini Paea, Fonua (Melbourne Storm player); Sika Manu, Anthony Tupou and in the Italy squad there is Anthony Laffranchi (St Helens); Anthony Minichiello; Craig Gower, etc.

I am as English as they come but for those two nights I will be Scottish and the many star players that they can muster along with, maybe, lads from our own west Cumbrian teams.

Bring it on.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,309 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Michael Jennings ( playing his way into the Kangaroos ) ,Willie Mason , TRex Williams and Feleti Matteo are also Tongan heritage , as is Hurrell the ' Hurrellicane 'who is being courted by them and NZ . So are loads of others wholl be overspill from none Oz n Kiwi selection , so is Israel Folau but he's all over the place ! Either way it's all pretty good for us up here .

Edited by DavidM, 06 June 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#3 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:35 AM

I am as English as they come but for those two nights I will be Scottish and the many star players that they can muster along with, maybe, lads from our own west Cumbrian teams.

Bring it on.

Indeed. Apparently I have some connection to Clan Douglas. Probably not enough to justify a kilt on the day but maybe a bit of face paint?

#4 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

Anyone know how tickets are going, especially with the World Cup itself being here?

Looking to book tickets for the 2 games shortly, waiting on a couple of mates to decide if they can make it, then its 8 tickets for Sunday and 4 for Tuesday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users