Photo
- - - - -

Fancy a pint with a politician?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Fancy a pint with a politician? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Who would you take a pint from and enjoy talking with while drinking it?

1. David Cameron (3 votes [4.23%])

Percentage of vote: 4.23%

2. Ed Miliband (3 votes [4.23%])

3. Nick Clegg (2 votes [2.82%])

Percentage of vote: 2.82%

4. Nigel Farage (6 votes [8.45%])

Percentage of vote: 8.45%

5. Nick Griffin (1 votes [1.41%])

Percentage of vote: 1.41%

6. George Osborne (2 votes [2.82%])

7. Ed Balls (4 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

8. Vince Cable (7 votes [9.86%])

Percentage of vote: 9.86%

9. Alex Salmond (6 votes [8.45%])

Percentage of vote: 8.45%

10. Leanne Wood (Plaid Cmryu leader) (2 votes [2.82%])

11. Theresa May (3 votes [4.23%])

12. William Hague (5 votes [7.04%])

Percentage of vote: 7.04%

13. Ken Clarke (7 votes [9.86%])

Percentage of vote: 9.86%

14. Harriet Harman (2 votes [2.82%])

15. Michael Gove (5 votes [7.04%])

Percentage of vote: 7.04%

16. Iain Duncan Smith (2 votes [2.82%])

17. Douglas Alexander (2 votes [2.82%])

18. Yvette Cooper (4 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

19. Danny Alexander (2 votes [2.82%])

20. Another MP, MSP, MEP, AM (Welsh Assembly) or MLA (N Ireland) - see my comment (3 votes [4.23%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

Following Severus's comments on the Ed Miliband thread about having a pint with certain politicians, I thought a nice light-hearted poll about who you'd have a beer with would do.

So.. on the list here, who would you accept a pint from and think you'd enjoy spending time talking to while you drank it.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#2 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

I voted: Nigel Farage, Ed Balls, Vince Cable, Alex Salmond, William Hague and Ken Clarke.  Not keen on most of their politics but I think they'd be fairly entertaining with a pint in their hands!

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#3 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,687 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

Most of them deserve to go out for a pint with each other.

It would be a good idea to be out in Leanne Wood's company. When she starts to look attractive, you've had more than enough and it's time to go home.

Clark, Cable, Farage, Hague, Salmond and Gove for me. And I'm an instinctive Labour voter. Shows how out of touch that either I am or Labour is.

I would definitely go for a pint with Alan Johnson and Gloria de Piero.

I'd also go for a soft drink with George Galloway and Sayeeda Warsi.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#4 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

All of them, regardless of their politics, apart from Nick Griffin.

I think they'd all have some interesting conversation, whether I agreed with them or not.

In fact, the ones I disagreed with might be the most interesting of all, trying to work out why they hold the views they do.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#5 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

All of them, regardless of their politics, apart from Nick Griffin.

I think they'd all have some interesting conversation, whether I agreed with them or not.

In fact, the ones I disagreed with might be the most interesting of all, trying to work out why they hold the views they do.

I doubt I'd have anything to say to Cameron and Osborne, we have so little in common that it'd be a very uncomfortable and stilted conversation.

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,589 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

George Osborne, because you could probably persuade him to give you £3 million to pay for the drinks.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

George Osborne, because you could probably persuade him to give you £3 million to pay for the drinks.

Try getting those £1m banknotes cashed at your local Wetherstones...  Anyway, he probably has a staff member with sole responsibility for handling his personal money transactions under £1m.

Also, the image of Cameron with that Cornish Pastie has come to mind, I can imagine the same thing if you gave him or Osborne a pint.

#8 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,687 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

You daren't go out with both Osborne and Cameron at the same time. Bullingdon Club rules dictate that they'd be obliged to smash the place up, then tell the landlord to send the compensation bill to daddy.

Edited by Wolford6, 07 June 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#9 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

I just noticed that I'd put Vince Clegg rather than Vince Cable in the original poll.  Fixed that!

#10 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

Gloria de Piero, Luciana Berger, Caroline Flint and Stella Creasy.

I'm very shallow, I know.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,687 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

Gloria de Piero, Luciana Berger, Caroline Flint and Stella Creasy.

I'm very shallow, I know.

I'm most disappointed in you.

You really should be ashamed of yourself.

http://www.sexymp.co...ex.php?gender=F

#12 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

You daren't go out with both Osborne and Cameron at the same time. Bullingdon Club rules dictate that they'd be obliged to smash the place up, then tell the landlord to send the compensation bill to daddy.

I'll probably get some stick for this but I'd enjoy a beer with either Osborne or Cameron. Both due to their chosen career could speak to practically anyone and make the conversation interesting. People from upper class backgrounds aren't an alien species. Some of them are very lucky to have been born into money and some are complete arseholes but many in my experience are good people and enjoyable to speak to. For example, some of the Generals I have met in the Army are more in touch with the ranks than many leaders from working class areas, where most of our soldiers are recruited from. Hence the comment about Osborne and Cameron.

Incidentally, I would speak to anyone over a beer on that list, including Nick Griffin. I'd obviously disagree with his policies and beliefs but it would be a good 'debate'!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#13 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

I like to think that I could share a pint with most people, but there are just some people that attract trouble; so that's Farage and Griffin ruled out! I'm not sure I'd be that fond of spending time with Duncan-Smith (vicious #######), and I just don't think I could spend more than a few minutes with William Hague.

Away from alcoholic beverages, I've had a cup of tea with Gordon Brown and shared a few words with Roseanna Cunningham, MSP, in a Crieff cafe.

As for someone not on the list, I think Martin McGuinness, Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland, would be interesting to talk with - it would have to be a soft drink, though.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#14 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

I'm most disappointed in you.

You really should be ashamed of yourself.

http://www.sexymp.co...ex.php?gender=F

I see my MP's on there at 13, just ahead of Nadine Dorries. I've met her and wouldn't touch her with someone else's 

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#15 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

I'll probably get some stick for this but I'd enjoy a beer with either Osborne or Cameron. Both due to their chosen career could speak to practically anyone and make the conversation interesting. People from upper class backgrounds aren't an alien species. Some of them are very lucky to have been born into money and some are complete arseholes but many in my experience are good people and enjoyable to speak to. For example, some of the Generals I have met in the Army are more in touch with the ranks than many leaders from working class areas, where most of our soldiers are recruited from. Hence the comment about Osborne and Cameron.

Incidentally, I would speak to anyone over a beer on that list, including Nick Griffin. I'd obviously disagree with his policies and beliefs but it would be a good 'debate'!

The thing is though that regardless of how long ago it was, all generals had that single pip at the start of their career wondering how they were going to find a way to fund their drunken mess bills from what was left of their salary.  I doubt if Cameron or Osborne have ever had to wonder about anything like that mundane.

I remember having a few excellent chats with some generals in my army time.  Being based at the British Army HQ in Riyadh right after the first gulf war finished helped with that though.  Sitting on the roof of the HQ sharing a brew with a general who wanted some time away from dealing with never ending problems was probably the highlight of those chats.

I've also had a fair few lunches and dinner events in my post-army career with some people of the Osborne class, most are normal people but there are a few who just are so stuck up their own backsides they're like a different species of human.

#16 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

I like to think that I could share a pint with most people, but there are just some people that attract trouble; so that's Farage and Griffin ruled out! I'm not sure I'd be that fond of spending time with Duncan-Smith (vicious #######), and I just don't think I could spend more than a few minutes with William Hague.

Away from alcoholic beverages, I've had a cup of tea with Gordon Brown and shared a few words with Roseanna Cunningham, MSP, in a Crieff cafe.

As for someone not on the list, I think Martin McGuinness, Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland, would be interesting to talk with - it would have to be a soft drink, though.

I met McGuinness once, briefly, he was very, very polite and very careful with his choice of words.

#17 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,687 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

I see my MP's on there at 13, just ahead of Nadine Dorries. I've met her and wouldn't touch her with someone else's 

Tell the truth, I think a fair few of those photos have been airbrushed.

Joan Ruddock (in at number 75) is aged 69.

#18 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

The thing is though that regardless of how long ago it was, all generals had that single pip at the start of their career wondering how they were going to find a way to fund their drunken mess bills from what was left of their salary.  I doubt if Cameron or Osborne have ever had to wonder about anything like that mundane.

I remember having a few excellent chats with some generals in my army time.  Being based at the British Army HQ in Riyadh right after the first gulf war finished helped with that though.  Sitting on the roof of the HQ sharing a brew with a general who wanted some time away from dealing with never ending problems was probably the highlight of those chats.

I've also had a fair few lunches and dinner events in my post-army career with some people of the Osborne class, most are normal people but there are a few who just are so stuck up their own backsides they're like a different species of human.

I agree with what you are saying (I worked directly to Brig Aldridge in the Falklands - mega bloke!). My point though was some supposedly working class leaders I have come across in my life so far are even further up their own backsides than some of the Eton/Harrow types you encounter in life. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of upper class personalties like that too but sometimes power corrupts all.

I personally don't care if our leaders are from Eton School or Cansfield High School (Ashton-in-Makerfield). It is what they do in office, which counts and having been an avid reader of these political threads, it looks like nobody is happy with any levels of our political class. Wouldn't it be refreshing if people in power spoke truthfully rather than through spin?! I had this discussion at breakfast this morning. We all agreed no politician would last five mins if they were truthful!  

Going back to your list, if I was to choose one, I'd go with William Hague. I'd actually love to buy a house just north of Richmond if I could ever save up a large enough deposit plus I'd love to quiz him about British Foreign Policy etc.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#19 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

I doubt I'd have anything to say to Cameron and Osborne, we have so little in common that it'd be a very uncomfortable and stilted conversation.

Wouldn't you be interested to discuss Cameron's journey from being a supporter of Clause 28 to becoming an advocate of gay marriage with him? Or ask Osborne what it felt like to get booed by the crowd at the Paralympics and why he thought that happened? Or what motivated either of them to want to become politicians in the first place?

I'm assuming that these imaginary conversations would be off the record, and not involve the kind of rehearsed soundbites we see them all spouting on TV during formal interviews. If it were the latter, I wouldn't want to spend any time at all drinking with any of them!

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

from the list: Yvette Cooper. 

There is so much I could teach her. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic