Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bring back the biff

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,008 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

I think a lot of this thinking comes about because we take the physicality of RL for granted. We just accept it and some people claim its 'gone soft' but if you get someone watching a game for the first time, they can't believe how rough it is - even with no punches thrown.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#22 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,093 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

If you saw Hannsons' tackle tonight in the Wigan Widnes game you we realise why there is no need for the biff. You can have spectacular and clean brutality.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#23 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,936 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

It's my belief that this could see the biggest improvement in attendances, column inches and standards.

How would you go about bringing back this 'biff' that you speak of?
Should the referee ignore thuggery?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#24 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,093 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

How would you go about bringing back this 'biff' that you speak of?
Should the referee ignore thuggery?

No i don't think he means ignore it. I think he means encourage it.

Penalty against you my laddy. you didn't hit him hard or high enough.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#25 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,008 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

Fact is though, most people do enjoy a good punch up. Not thuggery but blokes squaring up in a fair fight....nothing wrong with it occasionally

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#26 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

Iv been stepping onto the rugby pitch for the last 20 years to play in answer to franksy.
Iv never met a fellow player who doesn't enjoy watching origin and the fisticuffs that comes with it.
You keep putting your heads in the sand by thinking the game attracts more people by sanitising it.
It is turning people away from it.
waddell

#27 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

I'm not wanting fights every 2 minutes, I'm wanting the referee's to realise they spoil the spectacle of the game by sending people off. A ten minute spell on the sidelines is all that is needed. It adds to the game.
waddell

#28 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,845 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

There's "biff" then there's thuggery.  Two prop sized players squaring up with a few punches thrown and no damage caused will have most referees telling them to put their handbags away and get on with the game.  What I've found in my years in the game is that if you tolerate any more than that then you get cowards throwing cheap shots or deliberately going out to injure opponents, they are cowards regardless of their hard-man act.  There's a very fine line in this and I'm strongly in favour of the current refereeing interpretations of intolerance towards anything that looks slightly iffy; far better that than a player injured by a cheap shot ignored by a referee.

That said, this picture always brings back fond memories:

fight.jpg

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#29 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

There's "biff" then there's thuggery.  Two prop sized players squaring up with a few punches thrown and no damage caused will have most referees telling them to put their handbags away and get on with the game.  What I've found in my years in the game is that if you tolerate any more than that then you get cowards throwing cheap shots or deliberately going out to injure opponents, they are cowards regardless of their hard-man act.  There's a very fine line in this and I'm strongly in favour of the current refereeing interpretations of intolerance towards anything that looks slightly iffy; far better that than a player injured by a cheap shot ignored by a referee.

That said, this picture always brings back fond memories:

fight.jpg

Not sure if a player hitting a man on his knees makes a good story, I would have liked to have seen the before and after Pictures before I considered that a great advertisement for the game.
Bit of a contradiction there CKN

#30 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

The minority are very loud in there disgust that a punch should be thrown, they use words like thuggery and violence. These people have never played and can't see the wood for the frees with their argument that it puts people off watching.
It does the opposite, it gets more people watching.

In this instance I'm struggling to see what difference it makes as to whether people have played or not?  It's not exactly a hard issue to assess and form an opinion on.  As "these people" are fans of the game they're perfectly entitled to have their say in such a matter.

#31 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,845 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

Not sure if a player hitting a man on his knees makes a good story, I would have liked to have seen the before and after Pictures before I considered that a great advertisement for the game.
Bit of a contradiction there CKN

I remember watching the game.  It was a fair fight that the picture caught at an inopportune time.  This is from a time long gone and not really welcome to return.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#32 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

The fight from the game the other night has 550,000 views on YT already, for anybody counting. If you search 'rugby league' or 'super league' on Youtube some of the top results are biff, so the Google algorithms suggest it's a popular aspect of the game for fans and neutrals. The Gallen fight is the 7th most viewed "rugby league" video of all time, in the space of 3 days. Although it's hard to judge correctly because the Blair - Stewart fight and the NRL grand final fight from last year had similar popularity before being removed by the NRL, as do most fights.

In looking I noticed The Rugby League of Extraordinary has been a good campaign going off the Youtube numbers (255k views for the main promo). Can't remember seeing a SuperLeague video online with those kind of numbers... couple of Bailey videos come close lol.

#33 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,811 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

You can watch all sorts of sick things on the internet - some things get millions of views.

#34 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

God there are some sensitive delicate souls on here aren't there. I love all this faux outrage and morality and the 'won't somebody think of the children' nonsense.

As someone has said there's a huge difference between nasty cheap shots and a square off between 2 players. The Origin game improved immensely on Wednesday after Gallen gave Myles' chin a bit of a tickle. It gets the blood pumping for the players and the fans.

When JP put Willie Mason on his 'arris I bet even those objectors on here were cheering.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#35 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,811 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

God there are some sensitive delicate souls on here aren't there. I love all this faux outrage and morality and the 'won't somebody think of the children' nonsense.

As someone has said there's a huge difference between nasty cheap shots and a square off between 2 players. The Origin game improved immensely on Wednesday after Gallen gave Myles' chin a bit of a tickle. It gets the blood pumping for the players and the fans.

When JP put Willie Mason on his 'arris I bet even those objectors on here were cheering.

i think most people enjoy it when things get heated. What i disagree with is encouraging any kind of brawling.

#36 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

i think most people enjoy it when things get heated. What i disagree with is encouraging any kind of brawling.

Sometimes when there is a battle going on between 2 players the best thing a ref can do is let them settle it. A good clean scrap can take the heat out of games which are threatening to boil over and quite often games which descend into cheap shots could be prevented by the ref letting them have a toe to toe scrap. Refs like Fred Lindop had common sense, they'd see it brewing and stand back and let it happen then say right you've sorted it now lets get on with the game, but the next one you're off. Today's refs know all the rules but don't have any common sense, they're all programmed the same.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#37 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

I've never been to a game in the past 35 or so years where there has been a bit of a dust up and then the crowd has gone silent and gone all Daily Wail and said thats terrible we must stop it now.

How many shout 'get into them' vs 'oh no thats wrong think of the children watching'?
Like it or not physical intimidation is part of the game - its totally designed that way. But it has to be legal, controlled sensibly, etc.

Whilst blatant one-sided thuggery should be outlawed and dealt with appropriately (Meli's tackle on Hall for instance). But a dust up where both parties take part equally should be 10 mins in the bin to cool down.

#38 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

You can watch all sorts of sick things on the internet - some things get millions of views.

Go on...

#39 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,811 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

Go on...

just because people are intersted in watching fighting rl players on the web does not mean we should allow or even worse encourage it.

#40 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,093 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

The problem with the bring back the biff brigade is what they want to bring back is thuggery and open violence.

The game has biff now, players throw punches at each other we get pile ins and we get retribution tackles. What we don't get is games were rugby is secondary and picking a fight is the primary aim.

The biff hasn't gone away, the mindless thuggery and violence has thankfully been binned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users