Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bring back the biff

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 650 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

It ain't exactly "media friendly" is it though?

We're trying to attract money into the sport, we want greater funding and then we go and encourage brawling?  It isn't exactly going to make the sponsors come running to be associated with the game is it?  And by that I mean the high end sponsors with the megabucks.

I know a lot of people quite like seeing a scrap on the street on a Saturday night but the police try to ruin the biff, maybe it's the same demographic who want the biff back in rugby.

As someone mentioned earlier, a bit of handbags from two big guys generally ends up as a penalty and nothing more, that's fine as an occasional thing.  It's when they start swinging properly it starts to put people off or when the ball seems to be a sideshow to the scrapping.

A lot of people have made the commenting that when you get big guys in a physical games that a bit of fighting is inevitable, I disagree with this assessment.  The best players are those that can control their agression and use it as a tool, a fight is a sign that the control is no longer there.  Playing Union (I'm too fat and slow to play league and live in London), I've had people try and start on me and I just smirk and ignore it (then make sure the next legal hit I put on them is full forced) and it riles them up no end, eventually they'll then do something stupid and give us penalties galore and/or go for a 10 minute sit down.  I'd far rather have a player who can stop the red mist descending than one that gets into endless biff.

#62 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

All most people want is for fighting to be punished with a yellow card and the disciplinary to not give lengthy bans.
Nobody is wanting fights every five minutes this is a statement from the people who want to sanitise the game.

Most? Really? Are you sure?

#63 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,131 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

Most? Really? Are you sure?

And what was the punishment after the fisticuffs in SOO 1? I don't recall sending off being a regular outcome if soebody giving somebody a slap

I'm struggling to wonder what the original poster is driving at.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#64 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 356 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

Cant be bothered to read that whole post, especially with the nonsense about 4-8 match bans. The balance is right - the only ones asking fir chsnge are those who want mire brawling. Seriously have a word with yourself.

But the balance apparently isn't right because you linked to, and agreed with, an article which argues in clear terms that the way in which the game deals with biff at present simply isn't enough, and that this is harming the game right now. The journalist at the Brisbane Times wants more change, he believes that the way it is now isn't right. So not only are you too lazy and ignorant to read what I posted, but you also apparently couldn't even be bothered to read the article you yourself posted.

Jesus, and the mods on here wonder why most discussions boil down to petty bickering.

#65 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

Good bit of Biff in the York v Keighley game yesterday. George Stokes put the instigators in the sin bin and everybody got on with the game.

It was good to watch and lifted the crowd, but it shouldn't be encouraged. If it happens it happens and it should be dealt with accordingly.

Posted Image

#66 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

In super league the ref's send people off for punching, straight red. That's what I'm against.
Is that clear enough for the pretend intellects on here.
waddell

#67 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

In super league the ref's send people off for punching, straight red. That's what I'm against.

I'm not against a player being sent off for throwing an unprovoked punch.  That puts me in a minority doesn't it joe?

Plenty of players don't get sent off for throwing punches, Danny McGuire seemed to have made this his trademark prior to his recent injury.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 10 June 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#68 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

But the balance apparently isn't right because you linked to, and agreed with, an article which argues in clear terms that the way in which the game deals with biff at present simply isn't enough, and that this is harming the game right now. The journalist at the Brisbane Times wants more change, he believes that the way it is now isn't right. So not only are you too lazy and ignorant to read what I posted, but you also apparently couldn't even be bothered to read the article you yourself posted.

Jesus, and the mods on here wonder why most discussions boil down to petty bickering.

Apologies for coming across as rude with regards to your post, but as I was reading on my mobile, I thought the post was extremely long and slightly off at a tangent. It is extremely rare for a 4-8 match ban for fighting.

I was also referring to the game in this country where I feel we have it right. The reason I posted the Brisbane Time article was because many fans over here hold up Origin as the template we should follow for fighting, when in fact many Aussies weren't happy with the 'biff' from last week. I'm not sure how you can throw 3 or 4 punches at someone's head without getting at least 10 minutes to cool down.

#69 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

That's not actually true though. Did McGuire or Cudjoe get sent off in the Hudds v Leeds cup game? I remember seeing 'biff' and no further action, from the ref or the panel.

The one player who did get sent off was for serious fould play.

#70 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

1. Every week in Superleague we see kids playing matches at halftime on the pitch. They are the future of the game and if we glorify thuggery, their mams will stop them playing.

2. If you allow a fighting culture at Superleague level, the lower levels will also turn a blind eye to it. And at that level, there are already plenty of players with a screw loose who like nothing better than to provoke a confrontation.

How many of those who want to see fighting "allowed" have actually played the game? I'm not soft but I was actually scared someone was going to get seriously injured during a cup game against Belle Isle thirty years ago. Glory days? I don't think so.

3. If you want to see people fighting for the sake of it, go watch boxing or ice hockey.

4. At any professional level, gighting is usually caused by the referee allowing some kind of cheating or foul play to carry on unpunished. I didn't watch last week's SoO game, but presume that was at least a major contribution to the dust up.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#71 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

1. Every week in Superleague we see kids playing matches at halftime on the pitch. They are the future of the game and if we glorify thuggery, their mams will stop them playing.

I played at half time at Naughton Park for our school......I also saw several dust-ups at games, everyone cheered when it happened (me included) - that's not to say that those involved shouldn't have been sinbinne.....but my parents never stopped me from playing due to the potential of fisticuffs, nor did it put me off

#72 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

Not just their Mams either, I wouldn't encourage my son to play a sport where he would be routinely receive unprovoked and unpunished punches.

#73 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

I say the opposite, if you have played rugby to a good standard or intensity, you know that it boils over from time to time. That's why it shouldn't be a red card.
There is that much niggling in the games now because players are trying to win penalty's, slow play the balls and dirty wrestling techniques. That sometimes a dust up is exactly what's needed. At least then both players get a yellow rather than one getting sent off for retaliation. The wardle case for instance.
waddell

#74 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

I say the opposite, if you have played rugby to a good standard or intensity, you know that it boils over from time to time. That's why it shouldn't be a red card.
There is that much niggling in the games now because players are trying to win penalty's, slow play the balls and dirty wrestling techniques. That sometimes a dust up is exactly what's needed. At least then both players get a yellow rather than one getting sent off for retaliation. The wardle case for instance.

Well that's it isn't it, you're not saying the opposite. You appear to be appealing for the status quo, the same status quo that myself and others endorse.

This "issue" appears to be entirely manifested within your head, and that's an area that I want don't want any further insights into.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 10 June 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#75 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

Emett vs Washbrook, straight penalty. Superleague game, some provocation.

Go away joe.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 10 June 2013 - 07:59 PM.

#76 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Great decision Robert Hicks.

#77 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Emett vs Washbrook, straight penalty. Superleague game, some provocation.

Go away joe.

aye. not sure what the issue is.

#78 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

aye. not sure what the issue is.

Poore should've been sent off. :ph34r: ;)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#79 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

Radford on bailey, straight red. The Wigan v saints game Straight red. Poore and Farrell, straight red. Poores second red for punching. There's lots of others but I feel I'm being dragged into an arguement with the political correct brigade. My worst nightmare.
waddell

#80 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

Are we trying to bring back something that's apparently still here and never went away?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users