Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bring back the biff

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

In super league the ref's send people off for punching, straight red. That's what I'm against.
Is that clear enough for the pretend intellects on here.

Did you watch tonight's game?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#82 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

No, why?
waddell

#83 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

No, why?

Players were fighting and didn't get sent off, not even sin-binned.

Edited by Padge, 10 June 2013 - 09:40 PM.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#84 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

Long live hicks then is what I say
waddell

#85 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Long live hicks then is what I say

But you are asking for this to be brought back but it already exists, unless you want something else brought back?

If so what is it you want bringing back?

#86 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

But you are asking for this to be brought back but it already exists, unless you want something else brought back?

If so what is it you want bringing back?

Ration books, and those really big mobile phones.

#87 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

Bring back the biff is a phrase. The crux of the argument is that we want to see what happened last night as the norm.
Robert hicks used commen sense and let both players off with a telling off. It isn't what normally happens though before you's start.
waddell

#88 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Bring back the biff is a phrase. The crux of the argument is that we want to see what happened last night as the norm.
Robert hicks used commen sense and let both players off with a telling off. It isn't what normally happens though before you's start.

It is the norm.

In fact the only abnormality is your insistence that it isn't.

#89 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

I don't agree Larry
waddell

#90 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

I don't agree Larry

Then I suggest you watch a few more games. 

#91 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 655 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

Great decision Robert Hicks.

Indeed, fantastic game management.  I thought Hicks had an absolutely great game, he kept on giving feedback to players to ensure they knew what decision he was making and why.  Exactly what you want from a ref.

The "biff" in question was a small amount of niggle and was very handbags-esque.  Hicks explained exactly why he gave the penalty the way he did so Salford couldn't argue and then made it clear to both players that because it had been a good natured game no further action necessary, if it had been bubbling for a while I expect they both would have got 10 minutes to cool off.

#92 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

Larry it's quite obvious that we wouldn't have a beer together, as you probably drink bitter lemon.
I probably don't need to watch as many games as you, as my eyes work.
waddell

#93 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

What about harsher punishments that pyramid from the bottom upwards? Or is that double standards? A 'bit of biff' is ok now and again, which happens, but at the same time these players are held up as heroes to kids, and I don't want amatuer kids games thinking it's ok to fight, they want to play... so perhaps put them off fighting until the general consesus is they're adults and "more mature".

Sod those who say it'll teach them to toughen up or the equivalent I read on twitter regarding Origin, kids get bullied and deal with it in the playground, etc. in their own way, taking it onto a pitch isn't productive, especially as it's about teamwork and respect. Fine, be a little sh*t who gets excluded for fighting, no excuse to inflict it on the pitch though as I assume they want to play.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#94 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

Larry it's quite obvious that we wouldn't have a beer together, as you probably drink bitter lemon.

I'm not sure you'd be considered sober enough to get served.

#95 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,839 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

I don't think its your eye he is concerned about.

" It is a good thing to follow the First Law of Holes: if you are in one, stop digging."  Denis Healey 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users