Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

ICC Champions Trophy cricket

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

Surprised there's no discussion of England's win over NZ yesterday in the shortened game/Cardiff rain. Excellent bowling performance with the new ball - Jimmy Anderson was almost unplayable at times - and Bopara got through five very economic overs. Bresnan a bit expensive/all over the place at times.

Much more positivity from the openers/top three - Cook's knock was excellent, and Bell and Trott also showed some urgency. Pity the middle/lower order failed.

Looking like the Saffers at the Oval on Wednesday, unless Sir Lanka thrash the Aussies and sort out their net run rate.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#22 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

I'm having difficulty getting enthused by this tournament for some reason. However, as regards England, I think their sometimes too cautious batting will be what stops them winning the trophy.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#23 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

I'm having difficulty getting enthused by this tournament for some reason. However, as regards England, I think their sometimes too cautious batting will be what stops them winning the trophy.

The problem is, they've been leaving the middle/lower order a lot to do to accelerate enough to get more than a par score. If Morgan, Buttler and Bopara fail (and the latter has chipped in well in a couple of games, the other two less so), then we're jiggered.

What would be handy is if England won the toss and bowled first - then at least if they have to go hammer and tongs to chase a big score, Cook, Trott and Bell will have to get on with it pronto. We seem to struggle knowing what a good score is - i.e Giles decides it's X and we bat to that, rather than having that as an absolute minimum.

As for the tournament, I've been enjoying it - it's much more compact and close-fought than the World Cup, and there have been some decent matches. Mind you, I work from home, so can keep half an eye on the Sky coverage while working ;)
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#24 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

What would be handy is if England won the toss and bowled first - then at least if they have to go hammer and tongs to chase a big score

Your wish is granted.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#25 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

Decent start.

#26 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

Decent start.

South Africa 87 for 8 - just a bit decent! B)

#27 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

Saffers 9th wicket stand makes it interesting again. C'mon England!

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#28 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

Saffers 9th wicket stand makes it interesting again. C'mon England!

Very impressive - pretty much doubled the total between them! This is a very gettable total, though... which is why I'm worried!

#29 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,880 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

I don't like interesting ...

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#30 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

I don't like interesting ...

Here you go, then. Never let it be said that TRL folk aren't helpful.

#31 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

England win, with little real drama.

#32 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

India look very good. Should be a cracking final.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users