Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League Journal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

I'm sure there are are a great many people on this forum that know of this publication but I'm also sure that there are lots of people who don't. The web site is http://www.rugbyleaguejournal.net/

There is a particular interesting article in the Spring 2013 edition written by Harry Edgar. It is basically concerning the damage done to the 'little' clubs by Super League,Television and the RFL. An extract from the article is as follows:

This full scale 'dual registration' has come about,apparently,because some Super League Clubs are so hard up for money they are forced to econonomise by cutting one of the age-group levels of 'Academy' football. They reckon it will save each Super League around £100,000 a year-I could tell them an easier way of saving £100,000 a year ... just sign one less Australian or Islander journeyman from the N.R.L.,or one less whining Aussie coach.

Their are a number of other interesting and relevant points in the article.

The magazine is issued every quarter and is a very good read.

Posted Image

#2 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

I enjoy the "Rugby League Journal", especially for the vintage and classic photos, but often find it to present a very pessimistic and conventional point of view, rather than the optimism and challenge that "Open Rugby" had.

Now that there's a pro club in Oxford, I'd like to see a piece about the city's rugby league heritage - few people are as well placed to do this as Harry Edgar.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#3 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

I enjoy the "Rugby League Journal", especially for the vintage and classic photos, but often find it to present a very pessimistic and conventional point of view, rather than the optimism and challenge that "Open Rugby" had.

Now that there's a pro club in Oxford, I'd like to see a piece about the city's rugby league heritage - few people are as well placed to do this as Harry Edgar.

You mean Harry tells the truth and speaks for the silent majority?

Posted Image

#4 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

You mean Harry tells the truth and speaks for the silent majority?

To an extent, yes, but the tone is different from "Open Rugby". Open Rugby challenged the issues in the game but also found realistic solutions, whilst the Journal complains about things in more of a ranting manner, IMO.

I might be reading it wrong as I've only ever read Open Rugby a generation after publication and not at the time, but the impression I always got was that it spoke for a large proportion of fans and took a common sense approach whilst challenging the game and presenting a strong argument as to how to tackle problems - often with a great deal of success.

Open Rugby clearly played a very influential role in tackling many of the problems in the game in the 70s and 80s - the free gangaway to/from Union; promoting the international - and especially the French - game, etc - it always focussed on the positives and had a "glass half full" attitude. The Journal is the opposite.

That said, there seems to be a significant majority that recognise that dual registration is a shambles and could have pointed this out without the situation that has ocurred this season.

I fully agree with Harry's point on how SL clubs seem to be prepared to invest in short-term solutions - like overseas players and coaching staff - at the expense of long-term investment in the club. £100,000 invested in what is essentially a full-time academy squad and back-room support is a fantastic investment, nurturing local rugby and providing a pathway for aspring young players.

One of the stated aims of the salary cap is to produce more Home Nations qualified players - this sitaution does not help it at all. Richard Lewis had his doubters, but he seemed to have authority over the Super League clubs. Now it seems that the tail is wagging the dog as it was pre-2001.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

#5 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

Thinking a little more about this, does academy rugby really cost £100k to run? I expect it could be done for a lot less, but whether that is at the expense of quality, I'm not sure. Personally I'd like club grants from the RFL to be reviewed. I understand that C1 clubs get less than Championship clubs now, whereas three years ago everyone got £100k. On certain areas there needs to be parity between SL and the Championship and emerging leagues.

For instance, a ringfenced grant of £50,000 available to all clubs that run an academy that meets minimum standards. SL clubs, in theory, should have a higher profile and could lever in additional funds from local partners and sponsors, but at least it attempts to create a level playing field for this area of rugby. As the likes of Fev and Sheffield have shown in recent years, Championship clubs can, with the right investment, compete with their "bigger" rivals at this level of the game, and it would meet the aim of producing more players eligible for the Home Nations.

Academy rugby is, unfortunately, but understandably, often neglected by clubs, especially those with limited resources. Ringfencing funds and get a contractual obligation linked to this would hopefully increase quality and support by the member clubs.

disques vogue

#6 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:35 PM

Academy rugby probably doesn't cost £100k p.a, its likely an inflated number to justify culling that level of the talent pool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users