French RL Elite One at crisis point

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

Well when some thought we may have a comp of six or seven the Federation appear to have announced a joined up elite of 20 clubs! It includes a first phase running from Sept-January with 3 pools:

Pool elite 1 Avignon-Carassonne-Lezignan-Limoux-St Esteve-Toulouse-Villeneuve-Palau
Pool elite 2 west Albi-St Gaudens-Tonneins-Toulouse Broncos-Villefrance-Realmont
Pool elite 3 east Lescure-Baho-Carpentras-Cavaillon-Lyon-Montpellier

Second phase five pools of 4

Play Offs with 8 teams to qualify.

They're trying at least and have put it out there far earlier than previously. Fixtures I believe to be announced today.

Edited by audois, 21 June 2013 - 11:32 AM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#42 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Er, how the hell does that all work ??????????

#43 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

Poule 2 and 3 are elite 2, poule 1 play each other as does the two regional elite 2 poules,

Then split again and the top 4 from elite 1 go in a league then the bottom four go into a group with the best of elite 2. And the rest in another group,

Then the playoffs and the top two of elite 1 straight into the semis and the next two into the quarters to play against the best of the other group,

Or something along those lines as I've only read it ten times and still not sure,

Simple!

#44 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

Good to see Montpellier has been put into a group in elite 2,

#45 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Poule 2 and 3 are elite 2, poule 1 play each other as does the two regional elite 2 poules,

Then split again and the top 4 from elite 1 go in a league then the bottom four go into a group with the best of elite 2. And the rest in another group,

Then the playoffs and the top two of elite 1 straight into the semis and the next two into the quarters to play against the best of the other group,

Or something along those lines as I've only read it ten times and still not sure,

Simple!

Its a bit convoluted to say the least! I'm not keen on teams playing each other four times in regulat season. How many Aude derbys can we stand. I think esssiential though they are trying to re-engage with the likes of St Gaudens, Lyon, Montpellier, Villefranche, Albi & Carpentras who have all played at elite 1 level in the last decade or more. Some of these clubs have already indicated that they were looking at moving up in 2014 along with a possible new Bordeaux set up. The regional nature of the first phase sounds right too. I think above all Zalduendo didn't want to see Midi Olympique along with others displaying an eight team comp representing France.
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"

#46 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

Feel for baho in the group they're in, the nearest away game is 2 hours away!, good news for my team in federal we've managed to get the ex coach of pia! He seems very keen too!

#47 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

Feel for baho in the group they're in, the nearest away game is 2 hours away!, good news for my team in federal we've managed to get the ex coach of pia! He seems very keen too!

I think a few seasons back Baho hired a plane to take them to play a game in Paris. May be they'll allow the TGV to take the strain then on their trips north. Them & Palau though have some decent players too & should be OK. We'll have to wait & see.

Is it Mr Alberola then with your mob!

Edited by audois, 21 June 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#48 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

Yes it's him, with me and Fred helping and maybe the boots back on from me!

#49 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Well when some thought we may have a comp of six or seven the Federation appear to have announced a joined up elite of 20 clubs! It includes a first phase running from Sept-January with 3 pools:

Pool elite 1 Avignon-Carassonne-Lezignan-Limoux-St Esteve-Toulouse-Villeneuve-Palau
Pool elite 2 west Albi-St Gaudens-Tonneins-Toulouse Broncos-Villefrance-Realmont
Pool elite 3 east Lescure-Baho-Carpentras-Cavaillon-Lyon-Montpellier

Second phase five pools of 4

Play Offs with 8 teams to qualify.

They're trying at least and have put it out there far earlier than previously. Fixtures I believe to be announced today.

quite agree Gordon, the FFR13 have worked quickly to find a kind of system which will hopefully be workable, I can't imagine such a rapid response coming from previous regimes - regarding the pools, Palau look to be the potential whipping boys unless they can recruit well,so far they have an all french set-up including a few ex Dragons with Touxegas, Marginet and Prunac adding a bit of experience - the UTC v Palau games should be fiery encounters !

#50 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 446 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:40 AM

The format seems as clear as mud, at least big cities involved, given albi spending they will end up in finals.

#51 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

The format seems as clear as mud, at least big cities involved, given albi spending they will end up in finals.

According to Eric Anselme a couple of years back he reckons the Albi area will be the powerhouse of domestic rl in France in a few years

#52 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

There needs to be a structured plan to gradually increase the French presence in Super League over the next decade

#53 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

Sounds there's a bit of that Option 3 the RFL are looking at. It could just work here even if fill in short term. Means the weaker Elite 2 will get no where near the big boys well not on a regular basis. 16 games will be minimum number & 20 max regular season so will suit some as they're not ready for moving up.So we have Elite of twenty clubs even if its melange. They are going with the 12 point defence bonus point as in the Championship too. A real novelty every Elite club will receive a 2 point bonus if they field regularly a Womens 9s side! Good idea to build developing structure.

Edited by audois, 24 June 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#54 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

Sorry about this, but what is it with European Rugby League and promotion with relegation that they can't get right?

Australia hasn't got it and I'm starting to think, yay for small mercies.

#55 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 446 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

The one bonus is more derbies would love to see tolouse v albi on finals stage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users