Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leigh East

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

please read 

http://www.leigheast...-statement.html

I have emailed the local MP Andy Burnham and councilors, and I realise we are only hearing one side so have asked them for clarification and their help in finding an amicable resolution.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#2 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

Councils cannot run profit making facilities, the profits currently being made at east bar will be swallowed in wages and admin thus making the council worse off
A united approach from all Leigh's sports clubs is needed to stop the destruction caused by the building of LSV and the moving of goalposts ever since
It is very clear east would be better off at grasmere st and lrlfc at Hilton park, with wmbc pocketing the £2m+ in grants the clubs brought to the project in addition to freeing up land
LSV was built debt free, let the people of Leigh run it without interference from the people who do not have to attract income to run their business and as such haven't a clue in the real world

#3 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,514 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

Councils cannot run profit making businesses

That's a new one
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#4 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

Councils cannot run profit making facilities

Do you mean cannot due to ineptness or legislation? As far as I'm aware many councils run profitable ventures/facilities, and some councils own in part or in full some profitable companies.

#5 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

The Deep doesn't do badly.

rldfsignature.jpg

#6 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

Isn't this Wigan Leasure and Cultural Trust not Wigan Council.

Its certainly an issue, but people need to direct their protests at the right people.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#7 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

doesn't look too good at the moment, for the sake of the local amateur game i hope all goes well for easts.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#8 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

If Leigh east were promised the ground and the bar in return for giving up their former premises and this agreement is in writing, surely they can hold the councils feet to the fire for breach of contract, breach of promise etc.

They would certainly appear to have a good case to put to the public re the destruction of all the positive benefits they bring to the youth of Leigh.This whole thing looks like a power grab by cynical politicians.

Some investigative journalism might dig up a crony or two to whom the bar and catering franchise at Leigh East is to be outsourced to after the takeover is effected.

#9 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

If Leigh east were promised the ground and the bar in return for giving up their former premises and this agreement is in writing, surely they can hold the councils feet to the fire for breach of contract, breach of promise etc.

They would certainly appear to have a good case to put to the public re the destruction of all the positive benefits they bring to the youth of Leigh.This whole thing looks like a power grab by cynical politicians.

Some investigative journalism might dig up a crony or two to whom the bar and catering franchise at Leigh East is to be outsourced to after the takeover is effected.

I suspect that WLCT had a contract for a fixed term with Leigh East, they are now in a position to renegotiate or revoke. They have the upper hand.

WLCT don't have a good record regarding running social facilities and sold most off a couple of years ago as they were losing money. Why they think they can suddenly be world beaters is beyond me. As an arms length organisation they operate remote from the council but they may be under pressure from the council, who provides most of their funding, to ensure they maximise income from the facilities they run. How they do that has nothing to do with the council but is the responsibility of the trust management.

Seems they can see an easy income stream by screwing Easts rather looking to generate genuine new income.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#10 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

I suspect that WLCT had a contract for a fixed term with Leigh East, they are now in a position to renegotiate or revoke. They have the upper hand.

WLCT don't have a good record regarding running social facilities and sold most off a couple of years ago as they were losing money. Why they think they can suddenly be world beaters is beyond me. As an arms length organisation they operate remote from the council but they may be under pressure from the council, who provides most of their funding, to ensure they maximise income from the facilities they run. How they do that has nothing to do with the council but is the responsibility of the trust management.

Seems they can see an easy income stream by screwing Easts rather looking to generate genuine new income.

It always amazes me how councils and their chargers often seem intent on screwing over the communities that they represent.  Good luck to Easts, in my experience a more friendly club you'd struggle to find.

#11 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

It always amazes me how councils and their chargers often seem intent on screwing over the communities that they represent.  Good luck to Easts, in my experience a more friendly club you'd struggle to find.

The problem is that WLCT isn't 'the council', to stop the Tories flogging everything off they were made a trust and given independent management. They are not accountable to the public directly as the bin men are.

#12 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

The problem is that WLCT isn't 'the council', to stop the Tories flogging everything off they were made a trust and given independent management. They are not accountable to the public directly as the bin men are.

So what can be done?  Who's sense of justice can be appealed to?

#13 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

So what can be done?  Who's sense of justice can be appealed to?

It needs a three pronged approach, direct to WLCT management, who will ignore it as they want the money, they need to be reminded of their past record of running events venues and asked to supply evidence that they can make money to benefit both parties.

Next is the local councilors, some are very pro rugby, even if they do not represent Leigh. The aim here should be to get them to question if the finances stack up long term or arte they just playing at quick fixes to make the books look good nest year.

Then you have the whole sports village idea, which is to increase sports participation. The targets are then the major outside funders, Sport England etc. Questions should be asked about how financially crippling a sporting club, at a development they part funded is any way going to increase sports participation. 

Maybe if BARLA decided to be a bit more friendly to the RFL then the RFL may try and lend weight, I am sure they will try to help. but with the structure we have its a BARLA problem.

#14 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

That looks like what's happening. 

Leigh East should go public, engage the press and the local TV. 
Appeal to their MP and threaten to unseat any local councillor who rubber stamps the Leisure commitees decision.

They have a lot to gain and not much to lose.

#15 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

It needs a three pronged approach, direct to WLCT management, who will ignore it as they want the money, they need to be reminded of their past record of running events venues and asked to supply evidence that they can make money to benefit both parties.

Next is the local councilors, some are very pro rugby, even if they do not represent Leigh. The aim here should be to get them to question if the finances stack up long term or arte they just playing at quick fixes to make the books look good nest year.

Then you have the whole sports village idea, which is to increase sports participation. The targets are then the major outside funders, Sport England etc. Questions should be asked about how financially crippling a sporting club, at a development they part funded is any way going to increase sports participation. 

Maybe if BARLA decided to be a bit more friendly to the RFL then the RFL may try and lend weight, I am sure they will try to help. but with the structure we have its a BARLA problem.

BARLA are concerned with participation and not just elite RL, I think there's a good strong case for their continued existence

I think you're right on the rest, although I'm slightly concerned by the quality of the text on the link provided by AMH that Leigh East are not in quite at their fighting weight to fight this just yet.

#16 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

Why is it totally a BARLA problem and I think you'll find that it's the RFL who are not being very friendly towards BARLA.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#17 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

BBC radio Manchester 7.50am tomorrow

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,966 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

Padge, on 09 Jun 2013 - 21:05, said:
its a BARLA problem.

NCL problem, surely.

I think it's a wider issue than just rugby league and Wigan 'council' to be honest. I seem to be getting lots of messages via the far-too-many sports clubs I follow saying that the council (or facility providers on behalf of the council) are now invoking clauses in their agreements to put up ground rents, reduce shares of income or simply withdraw support services altogether. At a time when councils cannot raise tax, have been told to reduce funding in all areas except those for pensioners and will be seeing less 'leisure' money coming in it's not that surprising.

All that said, and even allowing for Leigh East not using entirely appropriate or clear language they are obviously an important club for the game and I hope this is resolved in their favour.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#19 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

BBC radio Manchester 7.50am tomorrow

BUMP #saveLeighEast

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,966 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

What was said?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users