Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leigh East

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

Janet Pendlebury did very well - I wouldn't like to be live on air

I believe she got the main points across, the understanding of the economic climate and cost savings maybe having to be made, the fact that these talks have gone on for 6 years and the goalposts keep moving and no resolution, how badly this will affect the area...sorry I haven't done a transcript - I presume it'll be on Iplayer?

Anyway, I was worried that Allan Beswick, who doesn't take prisoners, might have badgered her and maybe caused an egg on face situation. He did put the points across for the council, however, I believe the way he did it meant he thought it was a worthy cause & a campaign worth getting to the bottom of and of course a resolution ASAP - 6 years for goodness sake!

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#22 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

I am told, following a meeting, Leigh East have retained the control of the clubhouse and bar. The Council have accepted a compromise

Official news to follow

Edited by amh, 21 June 2013 - 11:28 AM.

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#23 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

I am told, following a meeting, Leigh East have retained the control of the clubhouse and bar. The Council have accepted a compromise

Official news to follow

Great news - from reading some of the details on the Leigh forums, it sounded like a resolvable situation. The Council misunderstood their position in terms of the operation of licensed premises and the ability to maintain a profitable business without a sitting tenant. Leigh East appeared reasonable in their position and willing to compromise given the economic case for increasing their contributions to costs. Lets hope it safeguards their future.

#24 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

Did Leigh East consider teaming up with any other disgruntled businesses at the LSV with regard to rents etc.

#25 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

There's an e petition link on the National Conference forum.

rldfsignature.jpg

#26 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

copied from Mr Chairmans post on the NCL forum

Just like to thank everyone for their support it really as been amazing , thank you from the bottom of my heart

A joint statement from Leigh East Rugby Club and Wigan Council:

Negotiations between Leigh East Rugby Club and Wigan Council over the running of Leigh Sports Village have reached a satisfactory conclusion, with an agreement reached between both parties. Leigh East will retain the bar and function room facility, whilst agreeing to pay sums to Wigan Council towards running costs and training.

Jim Hoffman, spokesperson for Leigh East, said: “I am delighted that we have been able to come to an arrangement with the council which enables us to retain our bar, and have some control over the future of our club. The next few years are going to be a challenge for us, but I am confident that with the overwhelming support we have had from our members and the public at large, we can rise to that challenge and can concentrate on developing our rugby club. The last few years have been difficult for us, but we now feel that we can move forward and work in partnership with the management of Leigh Sports Village for the good of our club, the Sports Village and the community. We are grateful to Andy Burnham and to our solicitor, Karen Baker for their support of Leigh East and for their help in negotiating this arrangement.”

The Leader of Wigan Council, Lord Peter Smith, said: “Wigan Council has been in discussion with Leigh East Rugby Club about the future operations of the pavilion at Leigh Sports Village. We are very pleased to have reached an agreement which we believe ensures the future of the facility for both Leigh East, and the wider community. We are happy that our discussions with the club have led to a resolution in a short period of time, and we continue to support Leigh East and their excellent work in the community.”

Heyman & Co; Solicitors
44 Church Street Leigh, Lancs WN7 1AZ
Tel: 01942 604135
Fax: 01942 261539 

Edited by amh, 21 June 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#27 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

Sounds to me like Wigan Council have stepped in following a possible legal challenge and an intervention from Andy Burnham to tell WLCT that they were on hiding to nothing with this, a compromise saves face for the party in error.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users