Strange refereeing decision

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bholder

bholder
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

I've seen some strange refereeing decision before but the one at Oulton Raiders V Rochdale Mayfield takes the biscuit. 

Midway through the 1st half with Raiders leading by 10 points Mayfield captain approached the referee following a short discussion the referee called over another Mayfield player and then called over a Raiders player and showed him a yellow card he made no signal to the reason why.

During this sin binning Mayfield took the lead by 2 points.

During halftime a member of the Raiders coaching staff asked the referee why the player had been sin binned his answer was that he had been told by a Mayfield player that the player  had made a racist comment the referee also stated he had heard nothing.

While I'm all for stamping out any form of racism in sport I believe if all referees follow  this example a massive can of worms could be opened and players could unfairly use allegations to gain an advantage. 

I was an independent spectator and glad when back at full strength Raiders went on to win a otherwise tightly contested game.

PLODDING

#2 Guardsman

Guardsman
  • Coach
  • 444 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

I've seen some strange refereeing decision before but the one at Oulton Raiders V Rochdale Mayfield takes the biscuit. 
Midway through the 1st half with Raiders leading by 10 points Mayfield captain approached the referee following a short discussion the referee called over another Mayfield player and then called over a Raiders player and showed him a yellow card he made no signal to the reason why.
During this sin binning Mayfield took the lead by 2 points.
During halftime a member of the Raiders coaching staff asked the referee why the player had been sin binned his answer was that he had been told by a Mayfield player that the player  had made a racist comment the referee also stated he had heard nothing.
While I'm all for stamping out any form of racism in sport I believe if all referees follow  this example a massive can of worms could be opened and players could unfairly use allegations to gain an advantage. 

I was an independent spectator and glad when back at full strength Raiders went on to win a otherwise tightly contested game.

Who was the referee in question? Did the Oulton player admit to it when spoken to by ref ? If not then you're right it opens a real can of worms.

#3 bholder

bholder
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

player denied saying anything and not sure of refs second name but his 1st name is Jamie.If player had admitted it I would have totally agreed with the refs decision 

PLODDING

#4 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

The referee should not have shown the yellow card on the word of an opponent, he should have informed the accused player that a complaint had been made and that he would be including it in his report. However if the ref had heard a racist comment then it should have been a red card.

I am afraid that this guy hasn't done himself or his colleagues any favours by his decision.

Edited by once a ref always a ref, 09 June 2013 - 05:06 PM.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#5 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

We (Skirlaugh) played a 57 minute second half away at St Pats a couple of weeks ago

#6 bholder

bholder
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

I believe the referees decision could have turned this into a racist incident because he took one persons word against another's. Like I said earlier I was a neutral at the game and must say Oultons fans and coaching staff didn't react in a hostile way at all but I could imagine what could have happened if this was at some more volatile supporters ground.

PLODDING

#7 beefy1

beefy1
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

We had a 17 year old kid reffing at the weekend. He was constantly blowing his whistle, which ruined the game, and couldn't count the tackles! 1, 2, 3 5th and last!!

#8 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 472 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

I refereed at the weekend a game of U18s, they kept dropping the ball, couldn't tackle, couldn't pass and didn't know the laws. Totally ruined the game as i had to keep blowing the whistle. Coaches were obviously clueless.  

#9 super_reff

super_reff
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

Bizarre. If a player reports racial abuse (without the refereeing hearing or seeing anything) he should inform both captains and the player(s) involved that he will report it after the game to the relevant people.

If he hasn't heard or witnessed anything himself he shouldn't take any action on the field.
www.procompress.co.uk

#10 sheephead

sheephead
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

an oulton club official approached the mayfield player after the game to ask what was said so that oulton could take appropriate action. the mayfield player refused to say, saying it was nothing. a different mayfield player was later heard saying that its something they do to gain an advantage so refs beware!

#11 super_reff

super_reff
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

All NCL referees should be aware of the correct way to deal with such issues.
www.procompress.co.uk

#12 bholder

bholder
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

This post was not intended to have a go at referee's but to bring an incident to the attention of rugby league fans and followers and make sure this is a one off and doesn't become regular .

PLODDING

#13 bholder

bholder
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

The match official was Stephen Race 

PLODDING

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users