Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bring Back GB / Ashes Tests etc (Merged Threads)

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

I guess if the RFL decided to bring back Great Britain it would just be England plus a couple.of Welshmen, like Jordan James?

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#2 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

It would be entirely England currently.

#3 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

I guess if the RFL decided to bring back Great Britain it would just be England plus a couple.of Welshmen, like Jordan James?

It's an impossible question to answer really. It could happen next year. It could take 50 years.

It takes around 10 years to produce an elite athlete from scratch. But you'd need a pool of highly talented players for them all to challenge each other enough to develop further into a world class player. A bit chicken and egg.

I will say I'm fairly confident that, unless there is a SL side in Wales, Scotland and Ireland; there won't ever be a significant number of players that aren't English in a Lions team.
Posted Image

#4 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

What has Ireland got to do with Great Britain? RU has the British and Irish Lions but RL is meant to be GB Lions.

How about getting Welsh and Scottish players working up to playing for English SL clubs?

Why not have a Championships GB? RU had a Tier 2 International last year (RFU Championship Select XV vs New Zealand Maori All Blacks?).

Edited by HappyDave, 09 June 2013 - 11:51 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#5 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,271 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

What has Ireland got to do with Great Britain? RU has the British and Irish Lions but RL is meant to be GB Lions.

Northern Ireland though has quite a bit to do with GB. Not to mention that in other sports e.g. cricket Irishmen have played for England. 

#6 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,271 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:00 AM

Well, Tony Clubb & LMS (Londoners) have played for England so I suppose you can look it took to turn London into a region that produced internationals. 

#7 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,271 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:10 AM

The other issue is that Welshmen (in particular) crossed codes back in the day and Gareth Thomas did the same more recently. Had he done so a few years earlier and GB Lions was around, would they have approached him? I'd suggest that they might.

It could still happen (it's just a lot less likely) but there are those George North NRL rumours I suppose...

#8 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:26 AM

Northern Ireland though has quite a bit to do with GB. Not to mention that in other sports e.g. cricket Irishmen have played for England.

Northern Ireland is in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is separate to Great Britain. England Cricket Club is under the England And Wales Cricket board so should be known as England and Wales.

#9 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:30 AM

IMO...there's nothing wrong with calling the team GB providing it contains (at least one) GENUINE non English players (ie not like Michael Withers in 2001)

Otherwise call it what it is - England.

#10 Cameron

Cameron
  • Facebook
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:28 AM

GB going to morocco

http://rugbyleaguewo...ioneers-in.html

Edited by Cameron, 10 June 2013 - 03:29 AM.

#11 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:52 AM

GB going to morocco
http://rugbyleaguewo...ioneers-in.html

Aye, I met up with them on Saturday. They've been training at Hull Uni.
Posted Image

#12 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

Northern Ireland is in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is separate to Great Britain. England Cricket Club is under the England And Wales Cricket board so should be known as England and Wales.

The Ireland rugby league team is made up of players from the whole of the island of Ireland. As is the rugby union team.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#13 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:41 AM

Not long at all, they would just need to convert from RU like they did in previous times

#14 crusadin_photoman

crusadin_photoman
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

Ben Flower could easily achieve this...

#15 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,271 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

I'm aware that GB and the UK aren't quite the same but this constitutional nicety doesn't translate into sport. The UK olympics team competes as GB but is still the UK's team.

The ECB's team is called England (and long may it stay that way - if the Welsh don't like it they can get their own team) but players from Scotland and Ireland have played for them.

No need to worry about the niceties - players from NI will play for a GB side with no complaints about the technicalities - players from the republic will do so as individuals a la Brian Carney. Adding "and Ireland" to the team name doesn't make it into a genuinely Irish side.

#16 jim_57

jim_57
  • Coach
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

I'd like to see the team return in 2015 and every 4 years after that. By 2015 hopefully there would be a player or 2 in with a shout but even if there isn't it shouldn't matter. Having the team assemble every 4 years might help Wales, Ireland & Scotland keep players too.

Play one game against an Island nation, 1 against NZ (Baskerville shield) & then 3 against Australia (Ashes). Then have the Aussies tour 4 years later.

#17 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

While we're on the subject, the 'semi-finals' of the S2/3 Respectme Saltire Schools Cup were played on Friday in Glasgow. All four teams played each other in 20 minutes games, with the top two in the table going through to the final.

S2/3 Respectme Saltire Schools Cup Semi-Finals

HILLPARK SECONDARY 44 V 0 KILSYTH ACADEMY

NORTH BERWICK 26 V 0 GREENWOOD ACADEMY

HILLPARK SECONDARY 4 V 34 GREENWOOD ACADEMY

NORTH BERWICK 52 V 0 KILSYTH ACADEMY

HILLPARK SECONDARY 0 V 26 NORTH BERWICK

GREENWOOD ACADEMY 24 V 10 KILSYTH ACADEMY

NORTH BERWICK and GREENWOOD will now meet in the final on the 20th June.

Hillpark Secondary - Glasgow
Kilsyth Academy - north-west of Cumbernauld
North Berwick - East Lothian
Greenwood Academy - Irvine, North Ayrshire

The final, along with the finals of the S1 and S4/5 age-groups will be played in Cumbernauld - Schools set for Broadwood Stadium

So, the interest is there, the work is being put in, but it is slow progress. What obviously doesn't help is the lack of pathways into the professional game. A Championship One side (or two) would help as young players heading south isn't ideal. Then again, travelling for games against mainly southern-based English and Welsh teams every other week would be a problem.

The other alternative would be to strengthen the domestic game - which means more stable and strong clubs like Easterhouse Panthers, Edinburgh Eagles, Aberdeen Warriors, etc. - and a constant raising of standards. Easterhouse has always been a jewel in crown of Scottish RL, being a dedicated rugby league club in an area that previously had no exposure to any form of rugby. For years they have been developing youngsters, yet it is only now that the strength of their first team reflects that. Victoria Knights have been running youth teams for a few years and have finally got around to putting an open age side out (sadly they are getting over 100 points put past them - 160 on Saturday). Also in Glasgow are the North Glasgow Bears, a club that is concentrating on youth teams at the moment.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#18 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

The other alternative would be to strengthen the domestic game - which means more stable and strong clubs like Easterhouse Panthers, Edinburgh Eagles, Aberdeen Warriors, etc. - and a constant raising of standards. Easterhouse has always been a jewel in crown of Scottish RL, being a dedicated rugby league club in an area that previously had no exposure to any form of rugby. For years they have been developing youngsters, yet it is only now that the strength of their first team reflects that. Victoria Knights have been running youth teams for a few years and have finally got around to putting an open age side out (sadly they are getting over 100 points put past them - 160 on Saturday). Also in Glasgow are the North Glasgow Bears, a club that is concentrating on youth teams at the moment.

I have read a far bit about the development work going on in Scotland. No doubt money is an issue but it is great to see the word being spread about the game and people playing it at any level across the UK and Ireland.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#19 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

And any rugby league nation that comes up with a World Cup training shirt like this one deserves to be persevered with!

419041_10151444571206817_632536008_n.jpg

http://www.oneills.c...ed-t-shirt.html

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#20 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

How is it possible to get beaten by 160 points? ?? Fair play to them I remember when SSG wear getting a lot of 80 - 110 points beatings. Glad to see they have spirit.