Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

leigh reaction

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

Just want to echo most sentiments above. Yesterday evening I sat outside in the sun drinking cold lagers in a truly contented state. That was a terrific performance against probably the best team (Widnes apart) I've seen at DP this year. Finnegan's tries were just peaches of timing and precision which we might learn from and to contain their tremendous go forward was a superb defensive effort. Callum was MoM for me, that was a really "smart" performance. 1-17 great team effort but thought Shacks deserves a mention as well; they didn't push him back too much! Wasn't aware of any foul language and most Leigh fans around us seemed pretty good humoured. Just good to hear our fans so vocal and supportive.

#42 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

Best team won by a mile, would have been an absolute injustice had we managed to nick it at the end. Final scoreline flattered us if anything.

Didn't hear anything untoward from the Worky fans stood around us, and fair play for the backing you gave to your side.

What I will say on the refereeing is that he missed a clear try in the second half when Sam Hopkins planted the ball smack bang on the tryline, even leaving his arm in place to prove it! Luckily enough we scored off the next tackle anyroad, but that aside I don't think either side can quibble TOO much about the match officials.

As I said, best team won. Enjoyable day out all the same anyway.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

#43 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for that mate, nice to see an opposition fan able to take defeat on the chin. It was a fantastic game, though nervy towards the end. Your forwards of the bench were devastating, caused us so much trouble. Glad you enjoyed your visit, good luck for the rest of the season.

#44 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,350 posts

Nice one ... Luckily you have a much easier one next to get back on the horse !!

#45 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 521 posts

good win for you boys yesterday had a feeling you would sneak it how did flynn go yesterday ?? was never the best winger when he was in the champ but must be better being full time now

#46 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

Flynn went really Well in attack and when running the ball out. We struggled on his side in defence, seemed to be a problem in communication.

#47 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,350 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

Bit strange that Beswick got MOM in paper , I was disappointed in him really . Finnigan got a treble , McNally made tries , and young Spencer from Wigan was carrying them up the pitch endlessly . They were more worthy I thought . You could tell what they had as a team when they upped the speed , movement and rucks , and we were rowing a bit at those times ,but they didn't or weren't allowed to do it often enough .

#48 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,350 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

Flynn was excellent , difficult gelling in defence right away but credit to them for the tries more than bad defence , there were a couple of gems . He caught all the kick offs and attacking chips and bent the line every time running it out , which is nowadays one of a wingers primary functions as Charlo mentioned . The more he integrates the better he'll get and I bet he can shift and finish a try

Edited by DavidM, 10 June 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#49 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

to be fair to flynn both of the finnigans tries went between brett phillips and connor. i think big brett was struggling by that point with it being his 1st game back
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#50 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,350 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

Aye , good teams are gonna score points . Overall the line defence was pretty outstanding , precious few of the lapses we see . And to hold firm in the last ten , well yet again a sign of our tremendous conditioning . Good defence , low error rates , savvy game management and high intensity play does the job , with a bit of xfactor thrown in . We put all the pieces together yesterday for a prolonged spell for the first time since Donny . That's the template , that's the standard . No excuse for slipping back now , we've set a marker and showed what we're capable of and how good we are when we play fully to the sum of our parts . There's nothing to fear in this league when you don't hurt yourself .

#51 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

Best team won by a mile, would have been an absolute injustice had we managed to nick it at the end. Final scoreline flattered us if anything.

Didn't hear anything untoward from the Worky fans stood around us, and fair play for the backing you gave to your side.

What I will say on the refereeing is that he missed a clear try in the second half when Sam Hopkins planted the ball smack bang on the tryline, even leaving his arm in place to prove it! Luckily enough we scored off the next tackle anyroad, but that aside I don't think either side can quibble TOO much about the match officials.

As I said, best team won. Enjoyable day out all the same anyway.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Yeah I'm with you on the ref, he always is a bit frustrating but nowhere near the worst ref we have had. After ignoring off sides at the PTB all match he gave us a pressure relieving pen near the end. Some ref's police the ten and some don't so I'm not one of these who shouts for it every PTB.  I think his assistants didn't do him any favours, there were a couple of times they were slow to catch up with play. Plus as Leigh play lots of flat passes they missed a couple that were forward that had the crowd on the ref's back. As for the try he missed I was too far away to see the line, but the reaction of the Town players on the line was that he was short as they lined up for the next play but I wouldn't argue either way. I laughed at some of his decisions though, but they weren't all against us for sure.

I hope you take your frustrations out next week against without doubt the best team in the country.......

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#52 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

to be fair to flynn both of the finnigans tries went between brett phillips and connor. i think big brett was struggling by that point with it being his 1st game back

I'm sure Finnigan ran inside Callum for his second Wonky, but who was his marker is anyone's guess. They were peaches of passes and he ran a good line but we should have learned from it the first time.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#53 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

Just like Oneday I returnen home after the game and sat in the sun with a few glasses of chilled sav blanc with a real feeling of contentment. Town won Jam hammered, sun shining.....does life get any better than that ?
Great performance from the lads yesterday for the full 80 minutes, as usual my backside was twitching near the end.....get in there !!
Have you sobered up yet Bomber ? bet you went home and hit the Lambrini !!!

#54 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

I'm sure Finnigan ran inside Callum for his second Wonky, but who was his marker is anyone's guess. They were peaches of passes and he ran a good line but we should have learned from it the first time.

I think an annoying thing from our perspective was that Finnigan scored three tries from almost identical positions out wide, yet we still ended up trying to take on your pack down the middle with very limited success! Thought we certainly missed Rob Parker in that regard as Hopkins, Spencer, Duffy and Ostick are all really good prospects, but lack the experience of a Dowes or Thackray.

Hopeful we'll put a smile on your faces next week, though a lot may hinge on whether or not we get Ridyard back by then.

#55 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

I think an annoying thing from our perspective was that Finnigan scored three tries from almost identical positions out wide, yet we still ended up trying to take on your pack down the middle with very limited success! Thought we certainly missed Rob Parker in that regard as Hopkins, Spencer, Duffy and Ostick are all really good prospects, but lack the experience of a Dowes or Thackray.

Hopeful we'll put a smile on your faces next week, though a lot may hinge on whether or not we get Ridyard back by then.

I think that team you fielded yesterday will be too strong for haven especially at your ground.

#56 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

Not being funny but one or two of those were only scored because one of our players was returning from a lengthy layoff and wasn't as defensively switched on as he normally is.  Having said that your attacking play was better than ours in short bursts, but we found other ways to score.

#57 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

Not being funny but one or two of those were only scored because one of our players was returning from a lengthy layoff and wasn't as defensively switched on as he normally is.  Having said that your attacking play was better than ours in short bursts, but we found other ways to score.

In that case it makes even less sense that we didn't focus more of our attack in that area!

#58 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

what made it extra special for me today was meeting a couple of Towns old stars from the late 70s in Allan Rowley (my hero) and John Burke, both I have to say were very impressed with Town and how the old club had been spuced up, it all added to a great day.

I also saw the legendary Ken Kerr enjoying a pint after the game as well. B)

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#59 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,350 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

I was looking out for him , he was my first town hero ... How's he looking now ? Long live the King !!!

Edited by DavidM, 11 June 2013 - 09:50 AM.

#60 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,350 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

Just watched the DVD . Great stuff , Callum fantastic game , everyone else top supporting efforts .Two things right in the last set of six , first Beswick dummy's and scoots through a gap looking all the world a match winner and Briscoe grabs him on his own right on the line and stops him dead , then Beswick grubbers through and Briscoe snaffles it with three bearing down on him . Phew !

Edited by DavidM, 11 June 2013 - 07:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users