Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Alex Hurst scores 4 tries for London

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

The Skolars that is!

#2 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

Another Eccles boy!

#3 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

An understandable set of circumstances, but a pity that Alex has been plying his trade for the Skolars in Championship 1 recently when he could've been doing a job for the Lions in the level above.

Will be interesting to see what happens with him next season.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#4 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

He scores 4 tries trying to impress and get back into Londons team and you manage to find a negative in it!

An understandable set of circumstances, but a pity that Alex has been plying his trade for the Skolars in Championship 1 recently when he could've been doing a job for the Lions in the level above.
Will be interesting to see what happens with him next season.

The lad impressed and moved on to further his career. Try it this way.......
WELL DONE ALEX!!!!!Hope you get back in the Super League side soon. If not there's always a place for you here!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#5 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

He did say at the Broncos v Skolars friendly pre season, that he was hoping to get "Some" super-league experience, and play a lot more rugby, a run out with the Skolars and 4 tries might make Tony Rea sit up and take notice that they have a decent full back, who might make some tackles, rather than whoever was trying to prevent Warrington from destroying London Broncos at Gillingham.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#6 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

Ooh, in a game where 107 points were scored I dont think the word defence was foremost!

#7 kingspeedbump

kingspeedbump
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

Not too sure where Phil has criticised the lad in his comments. I know you don't all agree with Phil and what he says, but you need to get a grip and lool at what he's said!

He says he understands why he went, I think we all do. But clearly he's had limited chances and this has seen him playing the majority of games in the league lower than what he could have been playing in. Where's the problem in that?

#8 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

I didnt say he did and I do agree with him sometimes.
Its just that he'd rather look at a negative aspect and not a positive ie instead of looking at Alex's 4 tries as a positive to get him back playing in the top flight he prefers to concentrate on it being sad he's not in the second tier. Alex chose his route and we should be glad for him and wish him well.

It makes be imagine living with phillh must be like being with Alistair Simm!

#9 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

Cant believe anyone thinks Phil needs sticking up for he thrives on this forum.

I do recall him stating many many times that he didnt rate Alex when we had him though so a strange turn of events really.

I was of course one of Alexs biggest fans so maybe that had something to do with it.

Id love to see him back at Swinton but then no doubt his Warrington links would be against him for the perfectionist.

Plus of course Ive got terrible taste in players....I did rate Chris Maye and Darren Woods although their defence was questionable. A fault our centres ever since have generally replicated.

#10 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

Questionable Mark? Ha ha ha!

#11 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

chris was a plasterer and played many games with a bad shoulder.....and it showed

#12 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

Chris Maye and Darren Woods...quality!

They scored some top tries for us.

And Mark, he started at Warrington...which means we'd get even more stick on here, correct. Even though he's a Swinton lad!

#13 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

A clear cut case of small club mentality on behalf of Loyalion.

To put it in perspective - Alex Hurst's 4 tries were scored playing in front of less than 150 supporters, for a side 3rd from bottom of Championship One. Why should Swinton Lions have such an inferiority complex?  I'll go further and add that if Swinton Lions had a fit-for-purpose stadium up and running, it ought to be well capable of getting gates in line with what the Broncos are managing on, let alone the Skolars.

Rather than wishing Alex Hurst all the best on his merry way with a shrug of the shoulders and major dose of defeatism, his departure ought to be motivation for the club to get better at retaining this type of player.  This is a local lad with sufficient talent to have made an impact in the Championship this season - precisely the kind of guy that you need to keep hold of in order to progress.  Now he's not in the first team picture with the Broncos, why not make an attempt to get him back?

It is true that when I first saw Alex Hurst play it was at the time he was doubling up with playing union at Sedgley Park and I initially felt his form was uninspiring, especially a trait of dropping the ball too much.  His performance in the 112-0 defeat at Warrington changed my perception of him, as he was the one and only Lion to stand up and be counted that night.  By contrast, Gavin Dodd and Rob Foxen playing alongside him did taking impressions of Darren Wood's inability to tackle even a good meal.

#14 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

A clear cut case of small club mentality on behalf of Loyalion.

To put it in perspective - Alex Hurst's 4 tries were scored playing in front of less than 150 supporters, for a side 3rd from bottom of Championship One. Why should Swinton Lions have such an inferiority complex? I'll go further and add that if Swinton Lions had a fit-for-purpose stadium up and running, it ought to be well capable of getting gates in line with what the Broncos are managing on, let alone the Skolars.

Rather than wishing Alex Hurst all the best on his merry way with a shrug of the shoulders and major dose of defeatism, his departure ought to be motivation for the club to get better at retaining this type of player. This is a local lad with sufficient talent to have made an impact in the Championship this season - precisely the kind of guy that you need to keep hold of in order to progress. Now he's not in the first team picture with the Broncos, why not make an attempt to get him back?

It is true that when I first saw Alex Hurst play it was at the time he was doubling up with playing union at Sedgley Park and I initially felt his form was uninspiring, especially a trait of dropping the ball too much. His performance in the 112-0 defeat at Warrington changed my perception of him, as he was the one and only Lion to stand up and be counted that night. By contrast, Gavin Dodd and Rob Foxen playing alongside him did taking impressions of Darren Wood's inability to tackle even a good meal.

Phil the only chance we had of holding on to Alex was for us to be a Super League club. He left us so he could play top flight rugby or at least give it a go.
The fact we don't have a stadium I guess had no bearing on his decision. Alex has been seen at a couple of Lions games when London haven't played..he is their asset and therefore expected to play where he is told.
Good luck to the lad and if it doesn't work out I sincerely hope he pulls our jersey on again.

#15 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

A clear cut case of small club mentality on behalf of Loyalion.

To put it in perspective - Alex Hurst's 4 tries were scored playing in front of less than 150 supporters, for a side 3rd from bottom of Championship One. Why should Swinton Lions have such an inferiority complex? I'll go further and add that if Swinton Lions had a fit-for-purpose stadium up and running, it ought to be well capable of getting gates in line with what the Broncos are managing on, let alone the Skolars.

Rather than wishing Alex Hurst all the best on his merry way with a shrug of the shoulders and major dose of defeatism, his departure ought to be motivation for the club to get better at retaining this type of player. This is a local lad with sufficient talent to have made an impact in the Championship this season - precisely the kind of guy that you need to keep hold of in order to progress. Now he's not in the first team picture with the Broncos, why not make an attempt to get him back?

It is true that when I first saw Alex Hurst play it was at the time he was doubling up with playing union at Sedgley Park and I initially felt his form was uninspiring, especially a trait of dropping the ball too much. His performance in the 112-0 defeat at Warrington changed my perception of him, as he was the one and only Lion to stand up and be counted that night. By contrast, Gavin Dodd and Rob Foxen playing alongside him did taking impressions of Darren Wood's inability to tackle even a good meal.

Small club mentality phillh? Extremely rich from one who has left because he didn't have things his way and chooses to criticise from afar whilst supporting another club!

Another excuse to have a poke at Swinton instead of supporting the career choice of a lad trying to better himself. You are too quick to change sides, first you didnt rate him them you do. How do you know if he still roars like a Lion in defence when his side let 50 odd points in? You're just a butterfly going from flower to flower, whichever the sweeter.

Again I ask 'how do you know we havent made an attempt to get him back on loan'? or any of claims you make?

Give it a rest mate eh!

Edited by LOYALION, 13 June 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#16 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

Small club mentality phillh? Extremely rich from one who has left because he didn't have things his way and chooses to criticise from afar whilst supporting another club!

Another excuse to have a poke at Swinton instead of supporting the career choice of a lad trying to better himself. You are too quick to change sides, first you didnt rate him them you do. How do you know if he still roars like a Lion in defence when his side let 50 odd points in? You're just a butterfly going from flower to flower, whichever the sweeter.

Again I ask 'how do you know we havent made an attempt to get him back on loan'? or any of claims you make?

Give it a rest mate eh!

Oh deary me, you're obviously quite a bad case.

Showing many of the classic symptoms - even trying to infer the club "owns" its supporters.

What will it be next - "Without John Kidd there would be no Swinton Lions", "We haven't got enough supporters to have a team in the Championship", "Its the people of Swinton's fault - not enough of them follow the club"..... blah blah blah.....

Perhaps its you that ought to take the blinkers off and allow an alternative view to sink in.

#17 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

Oh deary me, you're obviously quite a bad case.

Showing many of the classic symptoms - even trying to infer the club "owns" its supporters.
What will it be next - "Without John Kidd there would be no Swinton Lions", "We haven't got enough supporters to have a team in the Championship", "Its the people of Swinton's fault - not enough of them follow the club"..... blah blah blah.....

Perhaps its you that ought to take the blinkers off and allow an alternative view to sink in.

The inferences are all yours my friend.

Yes I do have a bad case......of loyalty to my team. Not blind. I know we have a lot going wrong and a lot that I dont like. The difference between me and you is that I'm prepared to stay in there and ride it out. I've never boo-ed a team off the park, either from the stand or via the Internet but its such a good safety net for the snide who wont confront the people he berates.

As usual you dont answer questions, just hide behind more banal accusations from your ivory tower.
For the record I dont have any love for the Kidd family but I see no point slagging them off on here all the time. If I have anything to say I use a more intimate source.
Clearly we do not have enough support, that's a bit obvious even for you. No revelation there.

I have no blinkers on phillh and I can clearly see a coward throwing stones from behind the safety of a rock.

As usual I expect no answers from you, just the usual drivel from a Leigh supporting Troll!

#18 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

The inferences are all yours my friend.

Yes I do have a bad case......of loyalty to my team. Not blind. I know we have a lot going wrong and a lot that I dont like. The difference between me and you is that I'm prepared to stay in there and ride it out. I've never boo-ed a team off the park, either from the stand or via the Internet but its such a good safety net for the snide who wont confront the people he berates.

As usual you dont answer questions, just hide behind more banal accusations from your ivory tower.
For the record I dont have any love for the Kidd family but I see no point slagging them off on here all the time. If I have anything to say I use a more intimate source.
Clearly we do not have enough support, that's a bit obvious even for you. No revelation there.

I have no blinkers on phillh and I can clearly see a coward throwing stones from behind the safety of a rock.

As usual I expect no answers from you, just the usual drivel from a Leigh supporting Troll!

A fair few inferences with no foundation thrown in my direction from your good self in there, too.  All from a person that doesn't even post on here under a real name - simply outstanding bravery.

At the same time you appear to be willfully blind to bricks being thrown at the team, coach and club management from several other long-term forum contributors - perhaps you should also take your points up with each of them in turn to at least be consistent, although be warned such is the volume it would take you quite a while.

You are in the process of being betrayed, we all are.  It hurts, despite the fact this latest sell out comes after we've already been betrayed in big ways several times since the early 90's.  Supporter numbers are low and getting lower because the club has alienated its potential backers, not the other way around. 

#19 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

Most people know me, anyone can come an sit for a chat, some do. I realise that it would be difficult for you as I dont attend Leigh games!

I do not question all of your opinions as some of them are quite valid, I have in the past supported your views but what I dont agree with is your seemingly constant negativity towards the club and your view, as with me, that the majority are all blind fools and should agree with all your points and stay away.

No support = no club. Fact.
+ you still dont answer questions, only pose them.

Tell you what, you have your views, I'll have mine. You watch your team and I'll watch mine!

#20 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 314 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

All from a person that doesn't even post on here under a real name - simply outstanding bravery.

And under what name do you post on the Leigh forum? I would be interested to follow your posts and positive contribution to Leigh.

It is not necessarily what you say or believe that is questioned just your need to keep saying it when you have "washed your hands" of Swinton.

Go on say it "I told you so...." and have done.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users