Great club

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Waites

Brian Waites
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

Having played for the club in the late 90's  and really enjoying my time at the club and in the town. I was very pleased to find this forum and enjoyed looking at some of the photographs of the old ground, seeing some familiar faces.

Great forum with a healthy following, great banter and knowledgeable posts. Good luck to you all.

Brian Waites

#2 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 337 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

Must be the Brian Waites who scored a length of the field try uphill aginst Dewsbury???? Great memory!

#3 Brian Waites

Brian Waites
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

Yes, a great memory for me too. Scary but it will be 25 years this year since that game !.  I have a photograph of me 'on the way up the hill' that day. It has pride of place in my 'man cave'

Thanks for the memory 'coach'.

#4 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 337 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

Think that was on Boxing Day (1988 I guess if it was 25 years ago) though it doesn't seem that long ago as I still have a clear memory of you sprinting up the short stand side right from the 9 o'il. Must have been the try that won the game??

#5 From the South

From the South
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

Seem to remember Brian stating he felt like he was running in an overcoat the last few yards.

#6 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

took the ball from acting halfback and sprinted sort of diagonally from bottom left of the ground up the short stand side directly towards where i was standing on the old terracing at the top of the ground..i'll never forget that..especially as it was against t'old enemy.

i've still got the programme- tues 26th december 1989

for those interested the teams were as follows

BATLEY                                                                               

1.paul storey                                                                        

2.damian mcgrath

3.andy williams (try)

4.paul marshall

5.brian waites (try)

6.simon wilson (1 goal)

7.john stainburn

8.mark spendler

9.mark scott

10.mark speight

11.mark hinchliffe

12.paul gearey (2 tries)

13.mark fortis

14.nicky wragg

15.mark cook

DEWSBURY

1.lee hughes

2.nathan graham

3.gary moore

4.marquis charles

5.dennis bailey

6.chris wilkinson

7.willie johnson

8.mark burgess (father of sam,luke,tom and george)

9.neil kelly

10.gary cocks

11.paul jennings

12.glen coughlan

13.tim butler

14.andy bloor

15.dennis trembath

18-6 the final score. (HT 14-2)

Edited by il cattivo, 10 June 2013 - 01:18 PM.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#7 bimbo101

bimbo101
  • Coach
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

Nice to hear from you Brian,how yer doing mate.

#8 M.S

M.S
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

hello brian how you doing?long time no see or here from you mate,glad you've made contact,ill never forget that try of yours to beat the old enemy,atb scotty

#9 Brian Waites

Brian Waites
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

I'm good thanks guys. Played in a charity match a couple of months ago, really enjoyed it. Head knew where to go but the legs didn't want to. Still scored a 75 yarder against the whippersnappers though.

I will have to come over and have a drink in the bar on of these days. Take care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users