Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

League Express Poll: England Squad Selection

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Which player not selected in Steve McNamara's England squad last week would you have most liked to see selected? (111 member(s) have cast votes)

Which player not selected in Steve McNamara's England squad last week would you have most liked to see selected?

1. Voted Danny Brough (Huddersfield) (50 votes [45.05%])

Percentage of vote: 45.05%

2. Gareth Hock (Widnes) (10 votes [9.01%])

Percentage of vote: 9.01%

3. Voted Danny Houghton (Hull FC) (9 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

4. Shaun Lunt (Huddersfield) (23 votes [20.72%])

Percentage of vote: 20.72%

5. Stefan Ratchford (Warrington) (17 votes [15.32%])

Percentage of vote: 15.32%

6. Other (please add comment below) (2 votes [1.80%])

Percentage of vote: 1.80%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

Which player not selected in Steve McNamara's England squad last week would you have most liked to see selected?

Vote in our online poll here, and/or add additional comments below.

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Voted for Ratchford since Brough ruled himself out. Both great players.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

Brough, a case for each candidate, but it's Danny Brough. And another classic thread to follow...

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

i voted for gaz hock, for me one of the best back row forwards in the world never mind super league, but shaun lunt certainly has a case as he has been the besst 9 in super league for the past 2 seasons.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#5 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

Shaun Lunt, not another Danny "the messiah" Brough thread please.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#6 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

Shaun Lunt, not another Danny "the messiah" Brough thread please.

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

Sorry couldn't resist.

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,874 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

I voted for Lunt as well. He's earned a shot, IMO.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

All probably deserve a place in the squad if I'm honest. Danny Houghton and Shaun Lunt have both performed consistently better than Burrow over the last two seasons and have obviously played better than Roby this season due to missing a big chunk of the season.

Ratchford probably a better option at centre than Hardaker, he just plays the position a bit better I think but Hardaker is the better full back.

Brough anyone apart from a Leeds fan acknowledges he is the best half back we have in SL.

Hock is clearly better than JJB there's no question about that but also I feel while Westwood and Ellis are very good defencively they are very similar players and do not
pose the same attacking threat Hock does.

#9 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

Has to be Danny McBrough.  Streets ahead of the bloke likely to be picked.  Mcnamara should have moved heaven and earth to get him on board.

#10 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

As Brough has ruled himself out, Danny Houghton got my vote; best hooker in the league in my opinion.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#11 dinosore

dinosore
  • Coach
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Stef Ratchford for his utility, Scratch can cover numerous positions and i think would be a good bench option.

#12 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

Ryan Atkins underrated, great pace and power. Provides good support on breaks, has an excellent offload, good in the air, solid in defence, scores plenty of tries. Not sure why he's consistently overlooked?

#13 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 373 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

Lunt every time. Roby isn't even fit never mind match fit.

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#14 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Ryan Atkins underrated, great pace and power. Provides good support on breaks, has an excellent offload, good in the air, solid in defence, scores plenty of tries. Not sure why he's consistently overlooked?

Cos he can't catch, can't tackle, can't pass and is a terrible reader of the game?

#15 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 914 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

Cos he can't catch, can't tackle, can't pass and is a terrible reader of the game?

Don't agree but I don't watch him enough to completely disagree! He can score a try though can't he - 6 tries in 7 games for England and 23 tries in 18 appearances for Wolves so far this season.

#16 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

I voted for Brough.
That McNamara messed him around is due to the England coach's poor man management skills.
He has lost a form player who should have been tested against the Exiles. It's easy to manage players who don't cause any problems or don't have a prickly personality. If they do have those traits, then it is a good man manager who can get the best out of them. That's why managers are paid good money.
If he can't manage the one awkward player then he isn't a manager worth the name.

My three half backs for the World Cup would be Widdop, Brough and Myler.
According to Mcnamara's logic, with me being a Wigan supporter I've selected those three due to their sparkling form in the cherry and white shirt this year! Yeah Right!

The man's out of his depth, he was a poor club coach so how he came to be appointed to the England job is a mystery.
He isn't going to be sacked so they need to bring in expert assistance to help him.

#17 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

Don't agree but I don't watch him enough to completely disagree! He can score a try though can't he - 6 tries in 7 games for England and 23 tries in 18 appearances for Wolves so far this season.

Ball in hand he can be devastating and I have to say I like him as a player, but from the games I've seen him in he is - in my opinion - prone to some howlers

#18 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

If we had an England team Manager with any sense:

Tomkins
Charnley
Cudjoe
Atkins
Hall
Ratchford
Brough
Hill
Lunt
Crabtree
Westwood
Farrell
Ellis

Myler
Hock
Mossop
Amor

#19 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

If I had 2 votes it would be Brough and Lunt. 1/2 backs have to be Brough, Widdop and Sinfield.
Roby has time to come good before the end of the season though.

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

If we had an England team Manager with any sense:

Tomkins
Charnley
Cudjoe
Atkins
Hall
Ratchford
Brough
Hill
Lunt
Crabtree
Westwood
Farrell
Ellis

Myler
Hock
Mossop
Amor

quite an arrogant approach. Whilst I agree with the majority of your selection there are some differences to what id pick.

I bet if 20 of us fans/pundits/managers picked their England team in isolation we would get 20 different teams.

Who is to say who has the sense?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users