Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England job

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

Given that Edwards and Panface have held precisely zero rugby league head coach positions, and have been busy feathering their nests in the lazy, slow and quite frankly boring sport of rugby union I fail to see why anyone would want this pair in the top job(s).

Are you expecting the National coach to get his slalom poles and cones out and start teaching the players how to pass, run lines and make tackles? National coaches are all about man management (well the really good ones are) creating an environment that's conducive to a winning culture and motivating their players, if there's any actual coaching to do they delegate that to trusted assistants.

You're not seriously suggesting that Farrell and Edwards aren't qualified to Manage a top RL team are you, you're not so blinkered as to beleive that just because theyve plied there trade in RU that neither of them haven't kept up to speed with modern RL tactics and methods.

Both are massively well respected and would command the attention of any RL player.

Let's face it they'd be a huge step up from the dross we've had in recent years and their time away from RL just might mean they bring something different to our National team.

Only the monumentally stupid would rule them out as an option.

#22 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

Are you expecting the National coach to get his slalom poles and cones out and start teaching the players how to pass, run lines and make tackles? National coaches are all about man management (well the really good ones are) creating an environment that's conducive to a winning culture and motivating their players, if there's any actual coaching to do they delegate that to trusted assistants.

You're not seriously suggesting that Farrell and Edwards aren't qualified to Manage a top RL team are you, you're not so blinkered as to beleive that just because theyve plied there trade in RU that neither of them haven't kept up to speed with modern RL tactics and methods.

Only the monumentally stupid would rule them out as an option.

They've not been in and around the game in a club environment for over a decade, they've been holding down fulltime jobs elsewhere.  There's no way that they are up to speed with tactics, methods and the like.  National coaches still choose the plays and dictate the game plans, the tactics, and the specific target spot players for each game, and highlight the stregnths and weaknesses of the opposition, if you think it's all about man management then I think you're way off.

I must be monumentally stupid.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#23 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

They've not been in and around the game in a club environment for over a decade, they've been holding down fulltime jobs elsewhere.  There's no way that they are up to speed with tactics, methods and the like.  National coaches still choose the plays and dictate the game plans, the tactics, and the specific target spot players for each game, and highlight the stregnths and weaknesses of the opposition, if you think it's all about man management then I think you're way off.

I must be monumentally stupid.

If you're saying that its not even worth considering or that it is a definite non startter then stupid you must be!

I see no reason why they couldn't be up to speed, they don't need to be in a club environment every day to be up to speed but it would'nt suprise me if they have been to a few RL clubs to observe training methods. This is a National team we're talking about and they would be the head of a team of coaches. They've both been heavily involved in some of the most professionally run International tournaments and training camps in sport and will know a thing or two about merging a group into an effective team.

#24 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

If you're saying that its not even worth considering or that it is a definite non startter then stupid you must be!

I see no reason why they couldn't be up to speed, they don't need to be in a club environment every day to be up to speed but it would'nt suprise me if they have been to a few RL clubs to observe training methods. This is a National team we're talking about and they would be the head of a team of coaches. They've both been heavily involved in some of the most professionally run International tournaments and training camps in sport and will know a thing or two about merging a group into an effective team.

I've considered it, they're not worth considering.

They know so much about team management that their players get smashed and drive golf buggies up the motorway, or jump off ferries into harbours.

We don't have a vast team of coaches for the national side, we need somebody that knows modern RL inside out.  Panface and Edwards aren't even close.

#25 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

I've considered it, they're not worth considering.

They know so much about team management that their players get smashed and drive golf buggies up the motorway, or jump off ferries into harbours.

We don't have a vast team of coaches for the national side, we need somebody that knows modern RL inside out.  Panface and Edwards aren't even close.

How very droll

Don't think Edwards or Farrell were involved in any of those incidents, they certainly weren't the Head Coaches, however the point still stands the Lions (RU) and the six nation camps are light years ahead of RL international camps and they do it far more often.

Well maybe we should have a team (your word was vast not mine) of coaches and do the thing properly for a change. You mean In your opinion with your limited knowledge of the actual facts they're mot even close.

#26 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,308 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

We havn't always been ###### JohnM!

Were you actually alive when we weren't?  :biggrin:

#27 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

How very droll

Don't think Edwards or Farrell were involved in any of those incidents, they certainly weren't the Head Coaches, however the point still stands the Lions (RU) and the six nation camps are light years ahead of RL international camps and they do it far more often.

Well maybe we should have a team (your word was vast not mine) of coaches and do the thing properly for a change. You mean In your opinion with your limited knowledge of the actual facts they're mot even close.

Both Panface and Edwards have been away from the game for around a decade, even Macnamara has lived and breathed it fulltime during that time which makes him eminently more qualified than this pair.

I have no knowledge of how good or bad the union camps are, as I have no interest in that borefest of a game.

We should have a team of coaches that do it properly, I think this is a right way to do it.

#28 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 785 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

If after the world cup u cud pick the new england coach who wud b ur choice and why?

I can't think of a stand out candidate but John Kear would make a decent fist of it & motivate players better than the monotone Macnamara

#29 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

I can't think of a stand out candidate but John Kear would make a decent fist of it & motivate players better than the monotone Macnamara

John Kear was coach of the England team in the 2000 World Cup - England lost in the semi-finals to New Zealand by the score of 49-6.

#30 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 785 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

John Kear was coach of the England team in the 2000 World Cup - England lost in the semi-finals to New Zealand by the score of 49-6.

He will have learnt a lot about many things in those 13 years..... At least you know what you will get with JK

#31 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,308 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

He will have learnt a lot about many things in those 13 years..... At least you know what you will get with JK

Exactly.!!! :sarcastic:  :sarcastic: