Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Northern rail at wembley

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

I fail to see how you can promote a final for a competition as a curtain raiser for the challenge cup, when all participating teams in the former are also participating teams in the latter.

Well that appears to be the plan for the NRC this year, with the new plate competition being a curtain raiser to the main final.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#22 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

Well that appears to be the plan for the NRC this year, with the new plate competition being a curtain raiser to the main final.

That's not quite the same though is it?

To qualify for the plate, you must surely have been eliminated from the NRC or am I missing something?

#23 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

It was tried before back in about 1997 I think when the plate final was held at Wembley before the CC Final.  Only did it once so guess it wasn't thought of as a success.

#24 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

It was tried before back in about 1997 I think when the plate final was held at Wembley before the CC Final.  Only did it once so guess it wasn't thought of as a success.

I saw it as a success, mainly because I backed Stanley Gene to be man of the match.

#25 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

It was tried before back in about 1997 I think when the plate final was held at Wembley before the CC Final. Only did it once so guess it wasn't thought of as a success.

It was very much a success for both clubs. Raised a lot of publicly for the clubs playing at wembley. More than it would for at the shay. The semi finals were more intense, as the prise was to play at wembley. Thousands of fans from both clubs turned up to the final, by the second half came 50000 people were watching the match.
Not many semi pro players will have the chance to play in front of such crowds.

Plus wembley struggles to sell out, so it can only help boost the attendance

#26 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

What are "heartlands"?

Somebody should start a rugby league club called The Heartlands. They'd get a lot of easy publicity!
Posted Image

#27 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

Just remind me how long the Under 11s play .......

50 minutes. Nonetheless, two games take place on the same day at the stadium constituting a double header. No? ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users