Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Should the plug be pulled on Salford?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

Just to be clear, where did Salford play Wakefield last season?

What's the relevance?

I've known Wigan give up home advantage in the play-offs. Doesn't mean that they don't have a fixed home.

#22 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,886 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

Both teams have made ill-thought out changes to their identities. Both teams have failed on an epic scale to engage their core support, find new fans and connect properly with local clubs. Both teams have, to much the same degree, failed to play interesting or exciting rugby for the past few years. Neither has had any success worth mentioning for a while.

Both, without major investment from rich men whose commitment is open to question, would not exist today.

They are as unlike as chalk and some more chalk.

Of course they are.

The struggles of SL (and CC clubs) clubs are all along the same lines, inadequate investment, failure to find the players, ground problems, identity problems, failure to attract the fans, directors doing some roguish thing whether at Celtic C or Barrow etc etc etc.

To try to categorise failings into good and bad failings, to try to differentiate on failure, merely begs the question is there bias here. I suspect there is after all that's what being a fan is often about - liking one club and disliking another. Several non Bradford fans had an absolute field day when they went bust, had they had a rope they'd have strung the clubs board up.

For me, IMHO sensible debate mustn't be based on such deep bias.

#23 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

Of course they are.

The struggles of SL (and CC clubs) clubs are all along the same lines, inadequate investment, failure to find the players, ground problems, identity problems, failure to attract the fans, directors doing some roguish thing whether at Celtic C or Barrow etc etc etc.

To try to categorise failings into good and bad failings, to try to differentiate on failure, merely begs the question is there bias here. I suspect there is after all that's what being a fan is often about - liking one club and disliking another. Several non Bradford fans had an absolute field day when they went bust, had they had a rope they'd have strung the clubs board up.

For me, IMHO sensible debate mustn't be based on such deep bias.

A 23-22 defeat and a 80-0 hammering are both losses but they aren't "the same" and differentiating between them isn't bias. Many clubs have problems but that doesn't make their problems equal.

#24 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

I think its time to pull the plug on these forums. its becoming a joke with these stupid topics

I actually agree with you and I posted this to highlight the silliness of the knee jerk reaction to London being beaten heavily by warrington.

I had no idea some people would actually agree with me!
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#25 Wanderer

Wanderer
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

not seen this posted anywhere else on the forum - from yesterdays Manchester Evening News

http://www.mancheste...success-4283486

Maybe Koukash will pull the plug himself

#26 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

I actually agree with you and I posted this to highlight the silliness of the knee jerk reaction to London being beaten heavily by warrington.

There is no opinion that is too insane that you couldn't find RL fans that agreed with it.

Edited by Northern Sol, 11 June 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#27 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

Doesn't mean that they don't have a fixed home.

Just to be clear, then London have a fixed home too.

Both have a tenancy agreement to play at a stadium owned by a third party and where the landlord cannot guarantee making it available when the club requires.

#28 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

Hoisted by your own petard, Kenny!

not seen this posted anywhere else on the forum - from yesterdays Manchester Evening News

http://www.mancheste...success-4283486

Maybe Koukash will pull the plug himself

I saw that too, with a brief mention of it on last night's game.

It doesn't fill me with confidence as a rugby fan to be honest. I see what he means, no-one is exempt from the axe in taking the club forward but it doesn't exactly read as such.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#29 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

Just to be clear, then London have a fixed home too.

Both have a tenancy agreement to play at a stadium owned by a third party and where the landlord cannot guarantee making it available when the club requires.

Just to be even clearer Broncos' tenancy agreement ends at the end of this season and they don't as yet have another. Salford will have the same home next year as they did this year. 

#30 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,870 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

There is no opinion that is too insane that you couldn't find RL fans that agreed with it.

I used the phrase 'I agreeĀ“ mainly to get a reaction. I then listed some concerns and compared them to London.

Other than that not one poster has said anybody should pull the plug on Salford.

Except for Koukash who's said he'll walk if he doesn't get results.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#31 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

Hoisted by your own petard, Kenny!

I saw that too, with a brief mention of it on last night's game.

It doesn't fill me with confidence as a rugby fan to be honest. I see what he means, no-one is exempt from the axe in taking the club forward but it doesn't exactly read as such.

It;s fair to say that he is a loose cannon and you can't predict what he is or is not likely to do.

#32 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

I used the phrase 'I agreeĀ“ mainly to get a reaction. I then listed some concerns and compared them to London.

Other than that not one poster has said anybody should pull the plug on Salford.

Except for Koukash who's said he'll walk if he doesn't get results.

A-ha the "I agree" actually meant "I don't agree". I'm sorry that I didn't get that the first time.

#33 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,870 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

A-ha the "I agree" actually meant "I don't agree". I'm sorry that I didn't get that the first time.

It didn't really work. Sometimes my amazing jokes miss the mark.

- Severus, July 2012

#34 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

It;s fair to say that he is a loose cannon and you can't predict what he is or is not likely to do.

What's interesting is in the beginning he outwardly said this would take time and wouldn't happen overnight.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#35 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

I predict Koukash will have disappeared from sight within three years, and certain posters on here will blame anyone that's been critical of his methods/mouth for driving him and his money out of the game.

#36 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

What's interesting is in the beginning he outwardly said this would take time and wouldn't happen overnight.

He also said that he wouldn't be a sugar daddy and would run it like a business.

It wouldn't surprise me if he ragequit halfway through next season and it wouldn't surprise me if he pulled it off and Salford did a Huddersfield.

Either way it needs to be the chance to run its course.

#37 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

I predict Koukash will have disappeared from sight within three years, and certain posters on here will blame anyone that's been critical of his methods/mouth for driving him and his money out of the game.

Yeah, they'd do that. I can see Dr Koukash now saying "I felt we were on the verge of something big but I kept reading totalrl and some of the forumites there upset me so much that it just wasn't worth it any more".

#38 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,870 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

They already blame the RFL for not allowing him to change the competition rules just to suit Salford

- Severus, July 2012

#39 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

They already blame the RFL for not allowing him to change the competition rules just to suit Salford

Yes but this is just prolonged foreplay.

#40 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

I can't believe any one takes the MEN comic seriously. Barker just lifts stuff from the internet and then twists it to fit his agenda.

The doc has appointed a businessman to run the club from next season, he has said that he believes he is the man to change the fortunes and as many like to remind us he isn't the only owner of the club/

Clubs will fail on their own without plus being pulled. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users