League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

14/06/13 - England v Exiles - KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
391 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you going to the game? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you going to the game?

1. Yes (5 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Voted No (33 votes [82.50%])

Percentage of vote: 82.50%

3. Undecided (2 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

Who will win?

1. England by 13 points or more (9 votes [22.50%])

Percentage of vote: 22.50%

2. England by 7-12 points (10 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. England by 1-6 points (2 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. Draw (1 votes [2.50%])

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

5. Exiles by 1-6 points (3 votes [7.50%])

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

6. Voted Exiles by 7-12 points (8 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

7. Exiles by 13 points or more (7 votes [17.50%])

Percentage of vote: 17.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

Agree with another post it is a great concept yet it gets ruined By the people organising it!! England win by 4

Edited by Hullfan, 13 June 2013 - 08:37 AM.

#22 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Agree with another post it is a great concept yet it gets ruined By the people organising it!! England win by 4

How has it been ruined?

#23 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

hohaia selected for 17 ahead of rhys hanbury................reputation ahead of form.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#24 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

hohaia selected for 17 ahead of rhys hanbury................reputation ahead of form.

Definitely in that case! Same with Hodgson too...

Edited by GeordieSaint, 13 June 2013 - 05:37 PM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#25 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,393 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

How many tickets have been sold hope to see a near sell out.

CM

me too, if im honest i expect 8k.

#26 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

me too, if im honest i expect 8k.

It'll be nowhere near a sell out. One stand isn't open for starters. Shame really!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#27 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,393 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

It'll be nowhere near a sell out. One stand isn't open for starters. Shame really!

i find it stunning the lack of interest, especially when you read peoole state they wont watch the team because of a selection or two.
I cant get down to Warrington for it, but im pretty excited to watch it on tv.

As last year though, some of the pricing is weird. It is the same price as the double header at Wembley in the wc.
Resorting to 241 deals hardly suggests a thriving event that people should get to.

#28 amh

amh
  • 11,084 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

I'd be there if I could, supporting the England team. They need to wear the shirt with pride and remember that every good result and great performance they have, makes rugby league in this country stronger, from school age, through amateur levels up to the top.

It should be marketed as a precursor to the WC and not as a test match - it's a testing ground - we all know that we will not see the finished product with this squad, and we should stop harping on about selection of form players - talk about form in a few months time.

Yes, they should play hard and test themselves, but  none of us want injuries and we know we're playing against geriatrics - so lets just enjoy it for what it is, and hopefully we'll win easy and wish we'd been there

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#29 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

i find it stunning the lack of interest, especially when you read peoole state they wont watch the team because of a selection or two.
I cant get down to Warrington for it, but im pretty excited to watch it on tv.

As last year though, some of the pricing is weird. It is the same price as the double header at Wembley in the wc.
Resorting to 241 deals hardly suggests a thriving event that people should get to.

Funny you should say that, but there's an opinion piece in the Warrington Guardian which basically says that the RFL should've 'slashed the prices' to get a bigger crowd!!! Not sure how much more slashing of prices the RFL could do.

In the same paper there's an article about Simon Moran urging fans to come out for the Warrington v Wigan game a week on Monday, saying if they can't fill the ground for that, there's something wrong.

#30 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,393 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

Funny you should say that, but there's an opinion piece in the Warrington Guardian which basically says that the RFL should've 'slashed the prices' to get a bigger crowd!!! Not sure how much more slashing of prices the RFL could do.

In the same paper there's an article about Simon Moran urging fans to come out for the Warrington v Wigan game a week on Monday, saying if they can't fill the ground for that, there's something wrong.

its something i bang on about a lot but the lack of any real strategy on pricing is an issue.

Fans havent bought into this game so charging more than a local Wire, Wigan or Saints game doesnt stack up.

In the World Cup you can watch England for £10.

You can get tickets for the Challenge Cup final or Grand Final or WC Final for a similar price.

Ruling out NRL players means many dont see this as the strongest team, yet full price.

My worry is this rolls over into the WC.

#31 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

its something i bang on about a lot but the lack of any real strategy on pricing is an issue.

Fans havent bought into this game so charging more than a local Wire, Wigan or Saints game doesnt stack up.

In the World Cup you can watch England for £10.

You can get tickets for the Challenge Cup final or Grand Final or WC Final for a similar price.

Ruling out NRL players means many dont see this as the strongest team, yet full price.

My worry is this rolls over into the WC.

Completely agree on all those points. Once you start pitching prices for something at a bargain price, it becomes very difficult to try and get the customer to start paying more for them. I understand why the RFL do it, but it sets a dangerous precedent.

#32 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,900 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

In the limit, if something is free, it's worth every penny you pay.   In any case, someone will have done some sums in arriving at the price.

Sorry I can't be there..it's just too far a round trip but fully expect the local fans to support the game as extensively as they do full Internationals, especially given the support the match has been given by so many fans on the forum.

#33 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

I would imagine Hohaia will be playing at hooker though, as interchange.  So that wouldn't put him ahead of Hanbury who plays at fullback.  Surely Hodgson has taken that spot from him?  I rate Hanbury above Hodgson these days at fullback and I feel a bit sorry for Hanbury who was clearly delighted to have been picked for the squad.

#34 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

I would imagine Hohaia will be playing at hooker though, as interchange.  So that wouldn't put him ahead of Hanbury who plays at fullback.  Surely Hodgson has taken that spot from him?  I rate Hanbury above Hodgson these days at fullback and I feel a bit sorry for Hanbury who was clearly delighted to have been picked for the squad.

hanbury has played full back, centre, both half back spots and hooker in his time at widnes, all with the same degree of success. but hohaia has been abyssmal this season (and most of last)
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#35 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

Sadly, I can't go.

England to win 28-12.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#36 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,663 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

When did Hohaia last have a reputation?

The stuff about the concept being ruined is just the usual RL rubbish of fans having to be irate about something (or nothing, as in this case). Calm down, will keep your blood pressure down.

Looking forward to watching the game on TV.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#37 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

hanbury has played full back, centre, both half back spots and hooker in his time at widnes, all with the same degree of success. but hohaia has been abyssmal this season (and most of last)

I didn't realise that.  I'd only understood him to have played in the halves and at fullback.

#38 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

When did Hohaia last have a reputation?

When he won the world cup with the Kiwis at fullback.  Can't get a better reputation than being a world cup winner really can you?

#39 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

I guess the RFL are trying to make as much as they can. 8000 fans at £20 a head is £160,000 whilst 14,000 at £10 a head is £140,000. However, I reckon the RFL are missing the long term plan per usual with this as a full stadium looks better to viewers and more importantly sponsors.

#40 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

For what it is worth, this game should be played in London on ANZAC day. It would mirror the Aus vs NZ game on the same day (a proper 'international' day), allow non-English fans to attend and would probably create a belting atmosphere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users