Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

14/06/13 - England v Exiles - KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
391 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you going to the game? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you going to the game?

1. Yes (5 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Voted No (33 votes [82.50%])

Percentage of vote: 82.50%

3. Undecided (2 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

Who will win?

1. England by 13 points or more (9 votes [22.50%])

Percentage of vote: 22.50%

2. England by 7-12 points (10 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. England by 1-6 points (2 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. Draw (1 votes [2.50%])

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

5. Exiles by 1-6 points (3 votes [7.50%])

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

6. Voted Exiles by 7-12 points (8 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

7. Exiles by 13 points or more (7 votes [17.50%])

Percentage of vote: 17.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#381 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

Yep, I agree with the mongrel part, and I'd go with a pack of:

Graham
Roby
Burgess
Westwood
Ellis - if he can get fit and on form
O'Loughlin

G Burgess
Mossop
Hill/Carvell

This is a big aggressive pack - I'd have picked Peacock if he was fit, and it's a year too late for Morley, but I don't think Hock has the right temprement. He loses his rag at silly times.

I think a pack like the above has physical presence, Westwood certainly got stuck in at Wembley in 2011!

As long as we steer clear of the likes of JJB, Farrell and Wilkin who do a solid job but hardly scare the opposition then I think our pack could go well.

Like you I want dynamic!

No Crabtree?

#382 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

No Crabtree?

yep was a quick post tbh. Off the bench.

#383 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:17 PM

Yep, I agree with the mongrel part, and I'd go with a pack of:

Graham

Roby

Burgess

Westwood

Ellis - if he can get fit and on form

O'Loughlin

G Burgess

Mossop

Hill/Carvell

This is a big aggressive pack - I'd have picked Peacock if he was fit, and it's a year too late for Morley, but I don't think Hock has the right temprement. He loses his rag at silly times.

I think a pack like the above has physical presence, Westwood certainly got stuck in at Wembley in 2011!

As long as we steer clear of the likes of JJB, Farrell and Wilkin who do a solid job but hardly scare the opposition then I think our pack could go well.

Like you I want dynamic!

I think Carvell is i) gonna play for Wales and ii) past it (which is why he's rumoured to be Bradford bound)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#384 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

I think Carvell is i) gonna play for Wales and ii) past it (which is why he's rumoured to be Bradford bound)

i noticed Carvell appeared to be in the England camp on Friday night.

He's not what he was but he still does a good job.

#385 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,753 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

Look back at the 2011/12 Test matches though and you have seen all three of these players play a very expansive game with a lot of success.

I just have via you tube. When England scored on an overlap out wide, Chase was first receiver every time as far I could tell who plays at a much higher tempo than Sinfield. Sinfield produced a gem of a pass for Hall's first try at Wembley but wasn't first receiver each time. The same with the Aussies. Thurston was always first receiver, played quickly and then handed it out wide to Lockyer. That first receiver is key. Whoever it is MUST distribute that ball quickly to the second receiver. I personally don't feel we have got that right, especially against quality defences with Sinfield at first receiver.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#386 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

I just have via you tube. When England scored on an overlap out wide, Chase was first receiver every time as far I could tell who plays at a much higher tempo than Sinfield. Sinfield produced a gem of a pass for Hall's first try at Wembley but wasn't first receiver each time. The same with the Aussies. Thurston was always first receiver, played quickly and then handed it out wide to Lockyer. That first receiver is key. Whoever it is MUST distribute that ball quickly to the second receiver. I personally don't feel we have got that right, especially against quality defences with Sinfield at first receiver.

Chase didnt play in the first two tests of 2012 and the link was excellent there too.

#387 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,753 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

Chase didnt play in the first two tests of 2012 and the link was excellent there too.

I didn't look at the 2012 games as there is a huge gulf between the defensive capabilities of Wales and France to those of Australia and New Zealand.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#388 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

I didn't look at the 2012 games as there is a huge gulf between the defensive capabilities of Wales and France to those of Australia and New Zealand.

i accept that but by looking at 2011 only Myler doesnt appwar (iirc) - that was tge reason I suggested 11&12

#389 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,753 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

i accept that but by looking at 2011 only Myler doesnt appwar (iirc) - that was tge reason I suggested 11&12

I'll bow to your expertise on Myler but long passing game on Fri was not up to scratch to trouble Australia in Cardiff in my opinion, no matter who was 6 or 7.

#390 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

I'll bow to your expertise on Myler but long passing game on Fri was not up to scratch to trouble Australia in Cardiff in my opinion, no matter who was 6 or 7.

I think i've deleted it from the box now, but from memory England didn't have great field position or possession to demonstrate this element of our game.

BTW, if you have any doubts about Myler's passing ability may I suggest this one:

:ph34r:  :tongue:

#391 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,753 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

BTW, if you have any doubts about Myler's passing ability may I suggest this one:

:ph34r:  :tongue:

I did say I'd bow to your expertise on Myler as I have sneaky suspicion from the facial features it'll involve Saints so not looking... :D

#392 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

I did say I'd bow to your expertise on Myler as I have sneaky suspicion from the facial features it'll involve Saints so not looking... :D

:sleep:  I don't know what you could mean!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users