5 things you love about Rugby League

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

To counteract all the moaning and groaning going on at the moment, try to think of 5 things you actually love about Rugby League and post them here.

Assuming anyone does still love anything about it? It's hard to tell sometimes, glancing on here. ;)

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

1. The simple plain and honest brutality of the contest. 

2. The Rugby League Challenge cup final.

3. Honor James' senseless posting of the most vacuous press releases. 

4. Amateur/Junior RL games.

5. The buzz I get as I go through the turnstile knowing I'm going to be entertained.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,160 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

5. The untapped potential of the game here in the UK, being a smaller sport almost makes things more special and "ours".

4. It's all I've known since I was 9, growing up in the best Bradford era in history. Later I came to enjoy the game itself, now t'Bulls aren't going so well, it's important to get that buzz back again.

3. World class athletes on show on my doorstep. Who importantly, are in the majority, humble and grounded people.

2. On the whole, everyone gets along and a good percentage of those just enjoy the rugby; watching the Magic Weekend and seeing good play appreciated by all in attendance.

1. My absolute favourite aspect of Rugby League is a winger diagonally chasing down a long range try and making the last ditch tackle; Ainscough, Raynor and Halley providing three memorable examples at Odsal. Love it.

(Honourary mention to TotalRL, being able to chat a lot of sh*t about summat I enjoy is pretty damn good.)

(Oh and 'Wide to West', goosebumps every time.)

edit: some tidying up.

Edited by hindle xiii, 11 June 2013 - 12:48 PM.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 RLRatings

RLRatings
  • Players
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

1) It's still a sport of the people, easy to feel part of it and to get deeply involved.
2) Great skills combined with focussed brutality.
3) The humour and friendship of the fans.
4) The amateur scene.
5) Being the underdog, and fighting the bigotry!
www.rugbyleagueratings.com - proving that Featherstone were bound to beat Cas, since 2011.

#5 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,382 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

Any time I need a rugby league boost I hunt out this thread:

http://www.totalrl.c...wet-your-pants/
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#6 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

Today I am struggling to think why....

The thrill of a win against the odds

The fans and the interaction between

The feeling that you are part of a secret that is RL

#7 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

A good dummy. The one's being thrown not spat.

A defence splitting off load

A good bit of biff

A good bit of banter

A dominant tackle

#8 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 657 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

1. The game, the jaw dropping skill that can be seen only to be followed moments later by a huge hit, often by the same person that demonstarted the skill.
2. The fans, the ability to go to any game at any level and stand or sit wherever you want and invarably have a good laugh and conversation about the game.
3. The big occasions, Challenge Cups, Grand Finals, Magic Weekends and Internationals, loved every big game I've been to.
4. The honesty of both the fans and the players
5. All the friends I've made that I would never have made if I had not got into this game. Linked to no 2 but also includes all the lads I played with and against and whom I can still have a great laugh with many years later - even those I didn't particularly like when playing
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#9 Cockney4league

Cockney4league
  • Players
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

As a new fairly new convert from football I would say what has attracted me to the game

1. The brutality of it yet players just get up and get on with it, instead of rolling around like they have been shot

2. The pace the game is played at

3. You never really see a boring game

4. How friendly the fans were when we came up north for the weekend to watch some games.

5. I actually enjoy this forum as it gives me a chance to learn more about the game and find out about players of previous generations that I have never heard of.

#10 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

1: widnes vikings
2: beating wire
3: beating stains
4: away game, atmosphere is always better amongst our fans
5: watching world class players who still have their feet on the ground and don't ##### around like show ponies unlike wendy ball players.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#11 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

1. Rugby League has the right balance of skill, power and brutality.

2. You can enjoy a pint while watching a game of Rugby League at all levels of the game.

3. The friendliness between the fans of all clubs.

4. Rugby League, as a spectagle, hardly ever disappoints unlike most other sports.

5. I can watch The Greatest Game in my home town. Come on Swindon St George!
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#12 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

1. The open mouthed awe at the skills we get to see week in week out, whether its an outstanding try, a stunning pass, a bone crunching tackle and sometimes all of those in one play!

2. Just how the players give their bodies to the game, how some of them play each week is beyond belief when they are pretty much held together by nothing more than a bit of strapping. Outstanding athletes.

3. The friendly atmosphere at every ground. I love the inclusive nature of our sport and that we can sit side by side, or conga through opposition fans even, and there is not a problem. 

4. The game as a whole. Once you've sat and watched a game, particularly live, its hard not to fall in love with it. Ive introduced a number of people to it over the years and they all love the game now. My friend's from Glasgow, and he is now a season ticket holder at Leeds. His dad came to his first game last boxing day and loved it, he then came down for the world club challenge and keeps more up to date with the Rhinos than my friend does, and he makes sure they put it on every weekend in his local club so he can watch it with his mates!

5. I love that I started supporting Leeds in the late 80s as a small child, it makes me appreciate the current success far more. The 2004 Grand Final will always be my favourite memory and still get goosebumps thinking about Danny McGuires match winning try!

(6. I'd love it even more if we can win the World Cup this year!) 

#13 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

1) The Challenge Cup Final
2) The general friendliness around games
3) Being able to have a drink while watching the game
4) BIG HITS
5) A well executed 40-20

#14 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

1. The combination of skill, controlled (and sometimes uncontrolled) aggression, athleticism, humility and respect shown by the players at all levels of the game.
  2. The honesty of the game.  As Sir Alex Ferguson once said, "Football is a game played by players who pretend they are injured. Rugby League is a game played by players who pretend they are not injured".
  3. The friendly interaction between fans of different clubs and the community spirit generated by most clubs.
  4. Even the worst game of the season will have some great moments to enjoy.
  5. The feeling of belonging to "The Greatest Game".

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#15 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

1. Turning down Post Office Road

2. Stomach churning before a big game, even after 50 odd years

3. Seeing the players give their all mentally and physically but enjoying every second nonetheless

4. The many good friends made and the memories I have of monumental achievements by my club which no one can ever take away

5. The anticipation of imminent change for the better
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#16 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

1. The challenge cup final and abide with me, sends shivers down my spine.
2. The community spirit and family orientation of the game.
3. Seeing a free flowing move executed at breakneck speed by incredible athletes.
4. The worlds against us and us against the rest attitude of league fans.
5. the fact that rugby league is not only the UK's but the whole worlds best kept sporting secret and one day this great game of ours will become recogonized nationally and internationally as the greatest game of all.

#17 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

1. Turning down Post Office Road

Yes, this has been a popular option for lots of players over the years.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,724 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

5 - The atmosphere at the big events - all the fans in it together

4 - The approachability of the players

3 - The passion and honesty of the players

2 - The technical aspect of the game, or you can just enjoy the simplicity of it

and most of all at 1 - the fact that even a dire game of Rugby League will still be one of the most entertaining parts of the week.

In the past couple of years I spent £55 watching a Scotland v Wales 6N game, and £115 for Man City v Wigan in the FA Cup Final this year, and I know that my £20  Rugby League ticket will give me a hundred times more entertainment than anything these sports can deliver.

#19 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

Yes, this has been a popular option for lots of players over the years.

That's their loss Larry
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#20 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,230 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

1 The concept of the game: it's elegant combinationof dsciplined brutalty, skill, tactics, athleticism,drama, imaginion unmatchable and makes  the drearyness of certain aspects its culture almost but not quite bearable

2 The fact that no matter what level rugby league is played you almost always get a good game

3 Its history.

4 French Rugby League

5 Lincensing. If the concept stuck withand carried out  properly

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users