Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

5 things you love about Rugby League

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,204 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

The collision

The skill of our top players

The courage of our top players

The craiq with fellow fans

Supporting a game that started as a rebelliion

Moaning

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#22 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 785 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

5. The memories of great games and special players.
4. Refs slipping quietly on to the park - not like soccer where they think its all about them.
3. The massive impacts & a bit of niggle.
2. The incredible athleticism.
1. The atmosphere & banter at every ground

#23 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,301 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Not in any order

1. The unique combination of teamwork requiring skill, speed, power, physicality, honesty

2. The unique display of individual skill, speed, power, physicality, honesty

3. The continued optimism of the fans

4. No frontiers: the way the game is and has always looked for ways of evolving and improving

5. The inclusive nature of the sport

#24 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

1. Featherstone Rovers

2. Local rivalry

3. Crowd banter

4. The fact that we are world sport's best kept secret.

5. That I don't go a day without seeing a player somewhere on my travels (they live among us and are "normal people", unlike in wendy ball for example)

#25 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 785 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:06 PM

5. That I don't go a day without seeing a player somewhere on my travels (they live among us and are "normal people", unlike in wendy ball for example)[/quote]

I took my soft southerner son and my dad to the Wheatsheaf at whitwood a few weeks ago & Adrian Morley was in the Carvery queue. He was like a shy little kid asking for a Yorkshire pud!!

#26 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

In no particular order:

1. Odsal Stadium - walking in from Rooley Lane or from the car park and looking down at the vast bowl to the pitch - particularly at night under floodlights.  it still gives me the same buzz I had when I was a kid.

2. The athleticism, fitness and courage of the players (please bring back the shoulder charge)

3.  The Grand Final and Challenge Cup Final

4. GB / England v Australia (or Kiwi) internationals (please bring back the tours)

5. The history of the game, which has helped to peroduce a down to earth nature of both the fans and players - no pretentions - we just know it's the Greatest Game

#27 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

The sound of skin hitting skin and being up close when it happens and having to look away and say ouch I felt that

The fact that players are honest, hard working and down to earth on the whole

The fact that I completely forget about everything else when I'm watching a game

The edge of your seat, or almost falling off the step of the terrace feeling, during so many exiting passages of play

The friends I've made and the love of my life I've met via TGG

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#28 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

1. The running

2. The passing

3. The catching

4. The tackling

5. The kicking

6. The relentless optimism of the fans. ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#29 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

The old guy who handed me a Salford scarf on my first visit to a rugby match and said, "My lad doesn't want this any more.  You should have it."

Carlisle travelling to Workington to be the whipping boys for the first game under lights ... and winning

Steele Retchless's last-second try that sent London into the Challenge Cup Final

Seeing players - at all levels from park pitches with a dozen spectators all the way to Origin - put their bodies on the line time after time after time in a game that combines skill, beauty, passion and strength

Knowing that there's plenty more to come

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#30 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

1. You never see a try scored from a forward pass.
2. The home supporters supporting the visitors by shouting " they're all ONside"
3. No one laughs when the ref comes a cropper
4. The way fans from teams below Superleague have accepted the need for a team from London in Superleague.
5. Knowing that when Steve Ganson is involved that there won't be any contentious decisions.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#31 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

In no particular order:

1: How the combination of chess-like tactics, gymnastic skill, athleticism and sheer effort combine to create what I believe to be the world's most complete sport. 

2. How every single game you watch will deliver at least one heart-racing moment of enjoyment that'll make it worth the trip.

3. How there's something new to learn in every game you watch - so watch as much as you can and enrich your life.

4. How Rugby League people the world over are warm, passionate, inclusive, humourous, sarcastic and genuine. You can strike up a conversation with a fellow Leaguie anywhere. The level of empathy, shared love of the game and willingness to share that passion is endlessly heartening.

5. I believe it defines you as a person. As legitimate a belief system as any religion or philosophy.

5b. How League players/coaches are so approachable/accessible - and willing to discuss the game as a whole. 

I could go on...

Edited by Hornetto, 13 June 2013 - 08:00 AM.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#32 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

1. The social and cultural history of the game.

2. The friends I've made through the game - Roy Boy, Westhuller, Hornetto, and the wonderful grump that is Old Frightful.

3. The way the sport can see fans of all clubs sitting together, getting along, despite the club rivalries.

4. The Hull derby.

5. That the dullest rugby league game is still much more entertaining than the most exciting game of soccer. 

Follow me on Twitter: @VDawsonRL

#33 Rioman

Rioman
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

The skill, courage and the athleticism of players at all levels, amateur and pro

The characters the game produces (eg Alex Murphy, Peter Fox, Maurice Bamford)

A night game on a cold  night. Although steam doesn't seem to come off the packs like it used to in the old days ;)

The approachability of the players who live in the community, not some gated complex in a posh area

The sheer ecstasy of the occasional win against Australia making me think that perhaps at last we've caught up ( the ecstasy doesn't last long though :P )

#34 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:25 AM

Being an Aussie, this is a brilliant thread
5. Manly v Melbourne 2008 40 -0
4. The 1990 ashes series as a kid spine tingling kids down under and the uk, nothing as a Aussie will ever beat the 2nd test.
3. The success of Catalans that is slowly lighting the fire to the game in France, thank you rfl for doing your part for international rl.
2. The banter and discussion between fans show they love this game and I believe we will see that in this years wc.
1. The superleague comp as a neutral the open footy and stars to play the game cannot be that bad Robinson, Farrell, long, Cunningham, sinfield now tomkins and seems the nrl cannot get enough of superleague forwards.

#35 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

1.   Games like Friday's between Hull FC and Castleford - mad, relentless, imperfect but thoroughly enjoyable and compelling

2.   The sense of community within the sport

3.   Hating the Aussies! (in the competitive sport sense, obviously)

4.   Watching the game spread around the country and onward into other countries

5.   Saints (when they perform well!)

#36 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

1.   Games like Friday's between Hull FC and Castleford - mad, relentless, imperfect but thoroughly enjoyable and compelling

2.   The sense of community within the sport

3.   Hating the Aussies! (in the competitive sport sense, obviously)

4.   Watching the game spread around the country and onward into other countries

5.   Saints (when they perform well!)

I like all those, even 5...Saints in their pomp were a sight to behold, may it come back soon - after some other clubs have had a go once or twice

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#37 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

Wire winning

Wire beating Wigan

Wire beating Sts

Wire beating Widnes

Half price tickets with my Student ID

#38 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

Wire winning
Wire beating Wigan
Wire beating Sts
Wire beating Widnes
Half price tickets with my Student ID

The first four are all very good (and if I had student ID so would the fifth), but I still loved RL when we had a losing record. So some non partisan reasons would include:

Friday Night Lights at Skolars
England v Australia at Wembley
Sleight of hand offloads by Prop Forwards
Wingers diving in at the corner
The sound of a good tackle

Edited by latchford albion, 24 June 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#39 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

The sound of a good tackle

That's a good one!
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#40 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:34 PM

Easy travel to away games along the M62 corridor on a Sunday afternoon

Standing behind the posts and changing ends at half-time at places like Batley

Local rivalry

Watching local kids grow up into stars.

The game still belongs to those who grew up with it, regardless of what the men in suits think!