Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leagues Clubs like in Aus

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

I believe most Aus RL clubs are financially supported by huge not for profit, multi million dollar turnover members clubs which gives a huge advantage for clubs both financially and accessing their community.

has there ever been the same model used in UK sport? I cant recall any, not even in other sports.

If so, are there any existing models and if not, why did they fail?

Seems to me that these membership clubs are a great example of clubs engaging with their community.

#2 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

Most of the amateur game is propped up by clubs, we dont have the same income which is mainly due to gambling in Aus

#3 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

Salford used to have a thriving night club in the 60's that was patronised by the Manchester glitterati George Best etc
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#4 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

Went to see Penrith play Souths when we visited Sydney in 2009, and their leagues club complex is huge - much more than just the club itself. Bars, restaurants, hotels and a golf driving range. We took our son on the mini golf course. After seeing that, it was something of a shock to see the decrepit state that parts of the ground were in.

#5 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

Went to see Penrith play Souths when we visited Sydney in 2009, and their leagues club complex is huge - much more than just the club itself. Bars, restaurants, hotels and a golf driving range. We took our son on the mini golf course. After seeing that, it was something of a shock to see the decrepit state that parts of the ground were in.

when i was there in the 90s they also had a lake and man made beach

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#6 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,358 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

I went to St.George's Leagues Club. Awesome.

A bit like the Posh Penguin used to be back in the day.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,162 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

I loved the Penrith club, tbh I quite liked the stadium too.

#8 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

The leagues clubs thrive because of Sydneysiders obsession with gambling and 'pokies'. I was a member of the Balmain tigers leagues club before it moved from Rozelle, I think I went twice it was like a modern working men's club, not really for me, but its a great source of revenue that's for sure.

#9 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,251 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

There was a fashion for 'social clubs' in the mid late sixties
Salford was the most successful
Wakefield sold theirs and it became Wakefield theatre club now it's a bowling alley
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#10 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

when i was there in the 90s they also had a lake and man made beach

Yeah, I think they have jet skiing or something like that on a lake.

#11 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

I loved the Penrith club, tbh I quite liked the stadium too.

The two stands were OK, but it looked very shabby at either end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users